EBC red stuff for RSII

pippobj

Hi, 

I need to change the brake pads on my RSII

I was thinking to go for some EBC red stuff pads. I don't want to spend more than 125 quids for full set (F/R)

I found these p/n s that should fit on the Ibiza Cupra 1.4tsi so it should also fit on the Fabia.

DP31517C & DP3680C (F/R)

does someone pls give me a confirmation?

I also found pads for ATE and TRW caliper

how can I distinguish the ones from the others?

regards and happy new year

I've used EBC brakes in the past but generally gone with Greenstuff, which seemed fine for my needs, but then the standard OEM replacements might well have been fine as well.

I found the following table which gives an indication of the uses for the various grades although it does appear a bit biased to the other side of the Atlantic:

http://ebcbrakes.com/brakes-selector-chart/

From my reading of this the Greenstuff would be sufficient for a standard Mk2 vRS.  If you remap to stage 2 or beyond then perhaps the Redstuff would be necessary but by then I would assume you would be going for a brake upgrade like many others on here have as the limiting factor may be the pressure the callipers can apply rather than the friction the pads can.

As to the Yellowstuff they seem more for the track which would make me wary of using them day to day on the road, but can't argue if Sharkrider is recommending them.

• Like 1

Done a bit more digging around the EBC site and there is some good info/propoganda (depending on your perspective), and the Yellowstuff are written up as a good road pad which operates over all temperatures. So quite confused now as to the real difference between them and how much the disc plays in all this.

• Like 1

Not sure about the part numbers for the Redstuff pads as most of the UK stockists generally don't list the Mk2 vRS and when they do the option is for the ultimax or Greenstuff, something I have raised another thread about but got little response on or as you have noticed confuse the issue by quoting pads for TRW and ATE Calipers.  Looking at a few of the official UK EBC suppliers that do list the Mk2 vRS they only list the DP21479 part number for the Green Stuff front pad which cross referencing back to the EBC Brake Shop (which list both calipers) indicates the TRW as the correct one.

However to be on the safe side I would contact a supplier to ensure the correct one or even contact EBC direct to clarify the issue, unless someone on here can help.

the yellowstuff ones being "road legal" must provide at least the same retardation when cold as OE pads, yet have a much higher (900C) possible operating temp, which is perfect for me, as I do track days, a nice compromise.... others may have different prioraties, and may choose a different pad, but as long as the yellowstuff holds up on track (which the OE didn't) I will be happy with them... cant tell any difference on day to day driving :)

Question for the OP, are you looking to upgrade the brakes performance or simply change worn out pads but not wanting to pay premium for OEM replacement from skoda? I tried some Brembo OEM replacement pads from click4carparts on ebay in my mk1 last time they were changed and found them to be very good for general road use and the odd mad five min's also they were very well priced!! Click4carparts are very helpful too, its bit of a pain but take a pad out and draw round and make note of whether the pad has wear indicators retaining springs etc and a dimension or two in case electronic gadgets resize when sending, then email of fax to them with car make model and they will match them to what you need, probably give you some choice of different brands and there level of use if you ask, i.e. stock replacement, fast road or track.

OP, what mileage are you at and needing to to replace brake pads?? 

If anyone else has changed pads due to being low could you given an indication of milleage,

Thanks i'm currently about to hit 23k and pads could prob due with getting changed soon

Thanks

Lee

I did 50k in my last car (alot of that with your old tuning box on!) and my fronts were not even 50% worn.... (rears negligable) so I really wouldn't worry, I just changed mine because they were not up to the track, too much overheating....

These are what I had and now Sharkrider has on his VRS wagon.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Interesting to see that the packaging says ATE which goes against my pure internet research indicating TRW.  Think this basically means the OP will need to check with EBC or his dealership to make sure that he gets the correct ones, unless there is something marked up on the car somewhere?

I am assuming that there is a flaw in my research as clearly the pads fit Sharkriders car and so must be correct! Unless the calipers are different for different production years or the estate/hatch?

Only reason I am interested in this topic is the fact my discs are apparently breaking down and so may need replaced and therefore so will the pads.  As the service report only indicated it as needing attention in the nearish future I have not bothered to take a wheel off and have a proper look myself given the temperature and weather so far.  Can't say I have noticed any issues with the braking though, still feels fine.

Edited by Moist Von Lipwig
  • Like 1

I had a mare finding these pads and had been sent two sets that were wrong before I contacted EBC direct who were really helpful, I emailed a picture of the OEM pads to Brian at EBC and he immediately emailed back with the part number I needed, these arrived the day before the track day I was going to do. 

Pads worked well on track and did not fade, on the road they are also give a good pedal feel, Sharkrider has them now and Korban has them in his MK I Fabia fronts and rears.

My Yeti has done 105,000 miles on the original pads and discs on the front, rears were replaced at 100k as the discs were scored, so I think yours should be fine TBH

• Like 1

Question for the OP, are you looking to upgrade the brakes performance or simply change worn out pads but not wanting to pay premium for OEM replacement from skoda? I tried some Brembo OEM replacement pads from click4carparts on ebay in my mk1 last time they were changed and found them to be very good for general road use and the odd mad five min's also they were very well priced!! Click4carparts are very helpful too, its bit of a pain but take a pad out and draw round and make note of whether the pad has wear indicators retaining springs etc and a dimension or two in case electronic gadgets resize when sending, then email of fax to them with car make model and they will match them to what you need, probably give you some choice of different brands and there level of use if you ask, i.e. stock replacement, fast road or track.

Yeah, probably the best thing to do is to take out the pads and see how they are.. or may try to call skoda and see if they could help..

OP, what mileage are you at and needing to to replace brake pads?? 

If anyone else has changed pads due to being low could you given an indication of milleage,

Thanks i'm currently about to hit 23k and pads could prob due with getting changed soon

Thanks

Lee

I'm at 25k, the front pads have 2mm left

the rears 5-6mm

Interesting to see that the packaging says ATE which goes against my pure internet research indicating TRW.  Think this basically means the OP will need to check with EBC or his dealership to make sure that he gets the correct ones, unless there is something marked up on the car somewhere?

I am assuming that there is a flaw in my research as clearly the pads fit Sharkriders car and so must be correct! Unless the calipers are different for different production years or the estate/hatch?

Only reason I am interested in this topic is the fact my discs are apparently breaking down and so may need replaced and therefore so will the pads.  As the service report only indicated it as needing attention in the nearish future I have not bothered to take a wheel off and have a proper look myself given the temperature and weather so far.  Can't say I have noticed any issues with the braking though, still feels fine.

Pads
More Info
Car Manufactured
Part Number
Stock
Price
Req'd

Qty

dp21479-50-50.jpg
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads DP21479
more-info.jpg
2010 - 2013
DP21479
stock_tick.png 171 in stock
€ 78.75
x1

Notes:
Caliper: TRW

dp21517-50-50.jpg
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads DP21517
more-info.jpg
2010 - 2013
DP21517
stock_tick.png 640 in stock
€ 80.41
x1

Notes:
Caliper: ATE

Rear

Pads
More Info
Car Manufactured
Part Number
Stock
Price
Req'd

Qty

dp2680-50-50.jpg
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads DP2680
more-info.jpg
2010 - 2013
DP2680
stock_tick.png 725 in stock
€ 50.04
x1

Notes:
Caliper: Girling

dp21497-50-50.jpg
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads DP21497
more-info.jpg
2010 - 2013
DP21497
stock_tick.png 131 in stock
€ 64.21
x1

Notes:
Caliper: TRW

From buying pads and discs for a vRS, they are 'ATE' for 2010 on, CAVE/CTHE,  Chassis info IZC & IZD

The SEAT Calipers come up as 'TRW' when ordering.

no mention of anything from the skoda tech who fitted them. they were obviously the right pads James :) (ATE)

Of course mate, I even enjoyed the 100 mile drive to drop them off and walk my dog on the beach in a beautiful part of our island, not to mention the fantastic piece of cake in the café too    :happy:

• Like 1

I think this comes back to the issue that many of the suppliers don't list the mk2 vRS on their sites.  Just a shame that you have to go to the extreme of emailing a picture of the OEM pad to the supplier to ensure you get the right pads!

Would be good if rather than a generic picture they had a picture of the actual pad for each of the listed stock numbers for the buyer to compare with to make a slightly easier comparison.

I have to agree, it was a bit of a pain to get the correct pad.

If the car is only going to be driven on the road then I would recommend a standard Pagid pad from ECP, these are more than adequate and cost a lot less than the £70 odd quid of EBC pads.

I think this comes back to the issue that many of the suppliers don't list the mk2 vRS on their sites.  Just a shame that you have to go to the extreme of emailing a picture of the OEM pad to the supplier to ensure you get the right pads!

Would be good if rather than a generic picture they had a picture of the actual pad for each of the listed stock numbers for the buyer to compare with to make a slightly easier comparison.

I had same problems trying to find pads for the mk1 vrs first time round in 2005 it was a nightmare at the time.