Rear wiper sweep on start ?

Arsey

My rear wiper almost always seems to do a sweep when I start up my Superb 170 DSG,even when the stalk is not set to wipe and when in Neutral.

It's fine if wet but bloody annoying when dry as it smears the rear screen.Any ideas as to why this is happening ?

Ta

Mine did that, in a rather random manner, I even coded out the auto-operation of rear wiper and it still done it, no codes are anything, just a S/W Gremlin I guess?

I got my car in December and I'm sure I've seen\heard the rear wiper sweep on start a few times over the last 30 days but I've always checked the stalk was in the off position and convinced myself it didn't happen, now I'm thinking it did and will be trying to keep an eye out for it happening again.

• 7 months later...

Mine is turned off in the maxidot, which only turns it off when the front wipers are going and in the 'Auto' position. It still has a mind of its own from time to time and sometimes gives the occasional wipe when I'm not expecting it. The only problem I can see is if the rear screen is frozen and it tries to wipe when the blade is stuck to the screen.

Maybe there is something in the manual about it, I have to admit to not usually reading the manuals unless I have to, perhaps it automatically comes on when you select reverse and its raining, or if you turn off the ignition when its raining and it was in reverse when turned off, but then you get in and put it in first it remembers it was in reverse so wipes.

A friend of mine has the pre FL Elegance model and if you turn on the ignition but don't start it every minute or so the windscreen washers squirt - bizarre.

this only happens in mine if I have used the rear wiper the last time I started the car. without fail, the wiper then sweeps and parks on the next key turn. only when i have used it previously does it do this.Maybe it is some kind of re-paring of the blade??

Heath

Is the car in reverse when you start (obviously with the clutch depressed)?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

I remember that always happened on my Octavias and if I drive any other Skodas with a rear wipe I notice it as well.   Any time I started it in reverse it (or engaged reverse for that matter) it would always wipe once on the rear.  Not sure if that's still the same in the Superbs as I have a hatch.  I know that doesn't really answer the OPs question as he has a DSG but just something to note.

I remember that always happened on my Octavias and if I drive any other Skodas with a rear wipe I notice it as well. Any time I started it in reverse it (or engaged reverse for that matter) it would always wipe once on the rear. Not sure if that's still the same in the Superbs as I have a hatch. I know that doesn't really answer the OPs question as he has a DSG but just something to note.

I mentioned because it used to happen with my Focus and if it was dry the blade would squeak and shudder

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Must admit that I always thought that the rear wiper setting in maxidot would turn the rear-wipe on when reverse is selected but only if the rain sensor sensed rain.  But how it actually chooses to work in reality just seems a bit random to me.  It's like Herbie, wagging his tail.  Maybe the car is just happy.

• Like 2

My Superb does the same too, very intermittently it will wipe when I start up, wet or dry, in neutral, in reverse, in first, doesn't matter,

Also my front wipers sometimes don't park completely until I turn off the ignition, they are like sat up the screen 5-10mm, then drop down as the key goes off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flat as a pancake, and in neutral here.

Strange I only get this behaviour if the front wipers are on and I engage reverse gear. I don't have auto rain sensor.

My Superb does the same too, very intermittently it will wipe when I start up, wet or dry, in neutral, in reverse, in first, doesn't matter,

Also my front wipers sometimes don't park completely until I turn off the ignition, they are like sat up the screen 5-10mm, then drop down as the key goes off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but I think the car will park the wipers in slightly different positions to allow the blade to flex in different directions thus keeping its flexibility and improving longevity. Mine seams to park it low and high alternately which flexes the blades up or down depending on position. I assumed that's the reason.

Whew, not alone then!

Mine has started doing this randomly over the last 2/3 months. Really odd and can find no pattern.

• 2 weeks later...