Remap 1.2 TSI - 86hp

Hello guys,

I have read some topics about remaping the 1.2 TSI engine, but i didn't find any topic about 86 hp only 105 hp. I know its simillar (same) engine, but has any of you guys remaped 1.2 TSI with 86 hp?

And i know there are few with 105 remaped to 125 and more, do you have any problems with a car? 

Thanks for replys! 

• Like 1

Will keep a close eye on this because I've been thinking the exact same for when the warranty runs out.

Boss fox, how sure are you the 86 is a detuned 105 and not the other way round?

The swedish tuning box is now gone, snowman was selling it.

As far as i can see no ody has properly remapped the tsi 105 yet, i believe Shark performance have an agreement if you let them use the car as the guinea pig for remap then you get the remap free.

Trouble is most of the 105's are still within warranty & that puts us off getting the remap.

I want to test my car over the 3 years, if it is reliable then ill be straight to get it remapped, if it isnt reliable then i dont want to complicate any issues by wondering whether the remap is at fault.

Plus i want to properly run the car in before adding power.

The swedish tuning box is now gone, snowman was selling it.

As far as i can see no ody has properly remapped the tsi 105 yet, i believe Shark performance have an agreement if you let them use the car as the guinea pig for remap then you get the remap free.

Trouble is most of the 105's are still within warranty & that puts us off getting the remap.

I want to test my car over the 3 years, if it is reliable then ill be straight to get it remapped, if it isnt reliable then i dont want to complicate any issues by wondering whether the remap is at fault.

Plus i want to properly run the car in before adding power.

Overly cautious piffle, people were remapping the Mk2 Fabia vRS from pretty much straight off the forecourt and you never here of one of those having engine issues........................................................... :peek:

I will remap next month, i will post the Dyno before and after. I will go to the company that they have remaped our Superb 1.8 TSI with custom map. (231hp and a little less then 320 nM because of DSG transmition) There were no problems, but for Fabia I think we will go to max. 130hp, we will see. 

• Like 2

Overly cautious piffle, people were remapping the Mk2 Fabia vRS from pretty much straight off the forecourt and you never here of one of those having engine issues........................................................... :peek:

Hmm yeh...fabia VRS......engine trouble....nothing springs to mind ha ha! :)

SuperB-NI - look forward to hearing the results on this one, hadnt realised you were in Slovenia on my last post.

Good to get a before & after BHP as the car might be pumping out more than 86bhp as standard, be good to hear feedback from the tuners ie how high could they take the BHP & what they feel is sensible to allow some margin for safety.

Does anyone know where the difference in the Official Unladen weight comes from with the the 86 ps & the 105 ps.

It is only given as 14kg lighter for the 86ps , is it a difference in the Radiator, or possibly an Oil Cooler?

The higher octane fuel won't make any difference whether it's 86 or 105 bhp, I've tried all of the fuels that have been mentioned on other threads ranging from Shell V Power to Esso Superunleaded to normal Morrisons fuel and it made no difference whatsoever.

5th Gear even did a test and found on lower powered cars there was no difference, the only gains were to be had on engines above 200bhp so it's a waste of money on a lowly Fabia whether it's remapped or not.

It is not 86 or 105 ps if being remaped to produce 125-130 ps., and the person mapping can work to the Octane of fuel being used.

A vRS is as standard less than 200 bhp, and on the Dyno you can quite clearly see the difference between using 98/99 ron

or 102 ron, and i would not even run a Twincharger hard on 95 ron, which is where the manufacturer take their figure of minimum 178 bhp from.

(switchable maps are available for the Octane of fuel being used.)

I can only speak from my own experience with a 105bhp TSI engine and can confidently say there was no difference between any of the fuels I've tried and I doubt it's going to make much or any of a difference tuning an engine to a particular fuel when it's only going to be producing 125-130 bhp.

My car didn't perform any different and didn't use any more or less fuel whichever fuel I've used. I did at first think I was getting more mpg but it averaged out exactly the same between all of them.

Granted, I've no experience or first hand knowledge of vRS Fabias so couldn't say if you right or wrong, you're a wise man George but I'm speaking as a Monte owner only here which is closer to a mapped 1.2 TSI than a vRS.

Whatever fuel you put in, mapping to 125-130 bhp is going to feel more powerful than 86 bhp anyway so I wouldn't worry anout what fuel you use.

You might well not notice any difference on the Roads in the UK at UK National Speed limits, or on a standard 105 ps engine.

The car probably gets up to 75-80 smart enough on 95 ron fuel.

Dont bother using it if you feel no benefit from it, in normal driving,and you can not see that you are getting a benefit the from the extra 5 pence a litre that 99 ron can cost.

If £2.25 a tank extra gets you an extra 30 miles per tank it has paid for its self.

Amazing how the Fuel is cheaper now than when they were filming that for 5th Gear.

If you are tuning a car and getting 100 ron fuel in Mainland Europe at a reasonable price, it seems silly not to see if the person mapping can get you better performance from the higher octane fuel, if increased performance is what you are after,

Fair enough, if 100 ron is freely available where SuperB-NI lives then tune it to that but here in the UK then I doubt it would be worth it.

The price of fuel per tank or per litre doesn't bother me as I don't do big mileages, I did the tests out of curiosity after reading the threads on here so after concluding it didn't a difference then I'll keep filling up at wherever is the easiest.

I'm interested in seeing how SuperB-NI does with a remap as I've had experience of Dynojet boxes on motorbikes when I had mine which is a similar principle to the TMC box.

You could switch maps on it as well as download maps from the Internet and remove it when it went in for servicing so wasn't detectable. This is something I would consider as I only intend keeping my Monte for a very max of about 3 years so it will never be out of warranty.

I'll follow with curiosity.

Dont bother using it if you feel no benefit from it, in normal driving,and you can not see that you are getting a benefit the from the extra 5 pence a litre that 99 ron can cost.

If £2.25 a tank extra gets you an extra 30 miles per tank it has paid for its self.

Amazing how the Fuel is cheaper now than when they were filming that for 5th Gear.

If you are tuning a car and getting 100 ron fuel in Mainland Europe at a reasonable price, it seems silly not to see if the person mapping can get you better performance from the higher octane fuel, if increased performance is what you are after,

My Fabia is always on 100 ron fuel. Like you said its about 2-3€ difference on tank, which is nothing.  The dyno after and before will be on 100 ron fuel. :yes:

I thought the 86ps tsi had a smaller turbo than the 105ps as the price of a new car is about £700 more for a 105ps engine correct me if i am wrong

I don't know about smaller turbo but the price is like you said about 1000€ more for 105ps engine. 

Fair enough, if 100 ron is freely available where SuperB-NI lives then tune it to that but here in the UK then I doubt it would be worth it.

The price of fuel per tank or per litre doesn't bother me as I don't do big mileages, I did the tests out of curiosity after reading the threads on here so after concluding it didn't a difference then I'll keep filling up at wherever is the easiest.

I'm interested in seeing how SuperB-NI does with a remap as I've had experience of Dynojet boxes on motorbikes when I had mine which is a similar principle to the TMC box.

You could switch maps on it as well as download maps from the Internet and remove it when it went in for servicing so wasn't detectable. This is something I would consider as I only intend keeping my Monte for a very max of about 3 years so it will never be out of warranty.

I'll follow with curiosity.

About the fuel, i can do about 30 km more on tank with 100 ron fuel. And like i wrote before it's about 2-3€ on tank which is nothing. 

I know that the remap is detectable, what about boxes? I think they work the same as remap but they write in flash just when they pluged in. 

My monte has a year and 3 months of warranty, i hope nothing will go wrong with the engine after remap.  :whew:

Does anyone know where the difference in the Official Unladen weight comes from with the the 86 ps & the 105 ps.

It is only given as 14kg lighter for the 86ps , is it a difference in the Radiator, or possibly an Oil Cooler?

Blimey, at 14 Kilos it's got to be something significant.

Does anyone have a decent photo of a 105ps engine bay? I can compare to my Mrs' Rapid...

My vote is for three lumps of metal bolted to the N/S end of the rear crash bar.

Be warned, the car will explode if removed.

• Like 1

My vote is for three lumps of metal bolted to the N/S end of the rear crash bar.

Be warned, the car will explode if removed.

Interesting, reading on this forum i thought that the Monte Carlo didnt come with added ballast.

is it an easy spot by just lying under the car?, i'll have a check when i wake up and confirm with my Monte Estate, if i see any then they're coming off...i've got enough ballast thanks very much.