Who's had a breather pipe mod fitted and it worked? (vrs oil consumption fix)

woodsy

Hi,

Ive had a Mk2 Vrs for about 4 months, its an 11 plate, and had 17k on it when i got it.

it was using (after a oil consumption test by my local skoda garage) 1.5 litres of oil in 800km..... :think:

Today its had the oil breather and ecu upgrade, and they told me 'this fixes the issues in 9/10 cases'

I just wondered if they are BS'ing me, as ive checked the other posts on here , and havent seen a 'woop the engines using minimal oil after the breather pipe was fitted'

So, if anyone has and it worked, let me know !

Cheers

Woodsy

It worked on mine (mod applied at around 25K miles), though I lost faith in the car for other reasons and chopped it in before I had done more than 5000 miles or so with the breather mod. Didn't have to top it up during those 5000 miles though (chopped in at 30K miles).

I have counted at least 35 reports on the Fabia II forums of the oil breather mod being applied. In 25 of these cases a report has followed within the forums that the mod has not worked or that the engine has been replaced. I am only aware of two people (including James I) who have reported that the fix worked. In my case it certainly made no difference and the car subsequently failed the oil consumption test.

Therefore judging from the Briskoda evidence I would not believe "this fixes the issues in 9/10 cases" even if we take into account the tendency of people to report bad news rather than good.

Sorry to sound negative.

Last week a newish member posted the results of of the Official Tests done on his cars engine, before and after.

Test one was showing 0.8 litres of oil used for the 1000km,

& then the Breather Valve mod done & 0.3 Litres for the second test result.

the 0.3 litres is a figure that they seem to get for a while which engines strangely, 

it usually ends up down the line with the new engine getting installed.

Maybe the Dealer can ask Skoda UK just how many of the UK vRS have required a Breather Valve Replacement.

& how many Engines that Skoda UK have paid to have Rebuilt or Replaced out of the 2,600 odd cars.

Or just how many in the 1,800 or so CAVE engine vRS registered in the UK.

If 9 breather mods have worked and resolved the high oil usage, and only 1 in each 10 needs an engine,

there have been lots of breather mods getting done.

• Like 1

Yours is one of the ones already included in the rough estimation 1 in 10 calculations that work. #4

Closer than any comment from Skoda Workshops or Dealerships on only 1 in 10 do not work.

Even though it worked, it only worked to a level that took oil consumption just under what SUK call normal, so the car still has a liking for oil just not as much.

• Like 3

I wonder if anyone has ever considered whether the oil separator may be the problem.

I recently encountered high oil consumption on our mk1 1.2 htp suddenly using over 1 litre in about 2000 miles when it never used a drop in the previous 120k miles. The car had been used for lots of short trips and so I decided to change the oil/filter. Drained the oil and poured a little fresh oil down the oil filter housing to clean it up. After new oil/filter I started the engine for around 15 seconds to let the oil fill/circulate and turned it off. A couple of seconds later heard a most peculiar sound - at first it sound like water gurgling and draining somewhere under the car- location was at the end of the engine where the filter is. Oil level hadn't dropped as much as I expected on a new fill/first start.

Conclusion I came to it was oil stored in the oil seperator and the drain back valve had stuck and now opened up.

Oil consumption returned to normal - i.e. nil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a car you have had from new?

So what age of car, which engine, how many miles, and when did it start using oil so that you noticed it.

Was it a Beather Valve replacement and an ECU Enhancement that was done?

george

As George is aware from my Thread mine has already had the breather valve mod before I got it. I've just had a tested and it failed the consumption test. I haven't got exact numbers but it consumed approximately 1/3 of the 3.6L of oil in 350 miles.

The reason for my post here... The dealer have told me there are two hoses that need to be replaced, one being an air intake hoses and one other which I cannot recall at this time. Does anyone know about these hoses as I can't find anything regarding them and oil consumption? Apparently if this doesn't "fix" it then the next step is engine replacement - Which surely should be the case from the start, instead of trying to bodge the current one to an "acceptable" "standard".

• 7 months later...

?  A 7 week wait for the New or Remanufactured engine to arrive?

It will not be a CTHE Engine if you had a CAVE Engine Originally.

It might have uprated internals over a CAVE, but it is a CAVE ECU that is fitted.

Maybe ask John Good ,

Skoda UK Customer Service Manager what exactly they are supplying in the way of a replacement engine.

Then you will have a reply in writing.

I hope you are being compensated for any Extra Oil used, and you are getting an Extended Warranty on the car,

due to needing a replacement engine fitted.

george

Well, oil breather didnt work and its a new engine fitted this week (27k miles) , do we know if all the new engines fitted are the CTHE ones? (there was a 7week wait from skoda - so i'd assume so...)

I'm in the same position, ours is actually in the dealership just now undergoing the engine change. There was nothing like a 7 week wait for an engine, mine failed the oil consumption test in Mid August and the replacement engine arrived from Germany (so I was told) on September 3. I too wanted the CTHE engine, have been told twice by Skoda UK that it will be a brand new engine but I suspect it will be a factory remanufactured engine using a CAVE engine that has been uprated using CTHE parts to replace the poor quality/ defective parts on a CAVE engine.

I've been told I will get an additional 2 year warranty by Skoda UK. As advised on here by George and vrskeith, I have put everything in writing and formally requested same from Skoda UK.

As for the original question re breather mod, ours never even got considered for it. Having said that, the Skoda franchise dealer in Dumfries told me he was aware of only two cases where the breather mod had worked.

I have a thread open on a Polo GTI with the same issue, and having spoken to the master tech at the dealership about this mod, its a change to the crank case breather. I have since had major issues with the car (see the thread for details) and I am now in the process of following action under the Sale of Goods Act and consumer law to obtain a refund, and reject the car.

A very interesting breather modification, and it will be good to see if it is successful in reducing oil consumption.

?

How much oil was it using before this modification, and did it get a ECU Software Update as well?

Edited by goneoffSKi