Activating cornering fog lights

Its not that hard, it took me about an hour to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I agree, it's a little fiddly to connect the wire but it's quite a simple job and definitely dooable.

Edited by Squible

Right. Mine car soon du for service, how you think, they will be able to activate corner lights? 

And maybe you know more about Tourist Lights? Maybe some link? Because users manual haven't mentioned nothing. Thanks for your help

Try this link

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/187734-european-headlight-adjustment/

and probably worth trying a member with VCDS to activate cornering fogs for a few beers rather than dealer who will charge you for it and you may be lucky to get a technician who knows what they are doing and not follow a menu from Skoda UK 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Ian

• 1 year later...

I know this is a bit old, but I found it whilst searching to make sure I could deactivate the turning activated fogs if the car i am buying later has them.

Why on earth anybody would want this ridiculous feature is beyond me.

The headlights that turn with the car are a genuinely good invention but the idea of one fog coming on is a cheap imitation.

Put it this way, cars with DRLs will dim the left or right LEDs when the car is indicating so people can actually still see the indicator.

I am sick of seeing cars coming onto a roundabout to my right with the left fog on blinding my view of the indicator.

You can't make the assumption that the car is indicating because what if he simply had his fogs on and one bulb was blown?

If people 'need' a fog light to see when turning then they are driving too fast for the conditions.

It should be banned!

I know this is a bit old, but I found it whilst searching to make sure I could deactivate the turning activated fogs if the car i am buying later has them.

The headlights that turn with the car are a genuinely good invention but the idea of one fog coming on is a cheap imitation.

Put it this way, cars with DRLs will dim the left or right LEDs when the car is indicating so people can actually still see the indicator.

I am sick of seeing cars coming onto a roundabout to my right with the left fog on blinding my view of the indicator.

You can't make the assumption that the car is indicating because what if he simply had his fogs on and one bulb was blown?

If people 'need' a fog light to see when turning then they are driving too fast for the conditions.

It should be banned!

Assuming you're looking for a MK2 Octavia, then yes, VCDS should be able to deactivate them.

DRL's only need to be dimmed if it shares the cluster with the indicator as not to over power it. For a MK2 Octavia the front fogs and DRLs are quite some distance from the indicators so there is little or no conflict.

Correctly aligned fog lights should not be blinding you at all, they have a cut off much like a headlight and are aimed much lower. Given that they work from both indicators and steering input, you should never make assumption about the drivers intent from them. For a straight over roundabout, you'll probably end up with a left then right then left fog situation.

The extra light in dark villages with tight corners is quite a nice touch, even at only 15mph, less so in a well lit city centre. They only work when under 50kph so I suspect if you were driving too quickly then they wouldn't activate in most circumstances.

• Like 3

It should be banned!

If you had a true understanding of how cornering fogs work on an Octavia2 then you wouldn't have to write half this stuff.

1) They don't work above 40kph (maybe 50 as stated above) - whatever it is, it's relatively slow.

2) The turn indicator is 330mm above & 140mm to the side of the fog light.  I can't see how the fog light could overwhelm the blinker unless it was really badly aligned or the owner has fitted a non-standard bulb.

3) Sure, it's a poor man's swivelling light but it's better than nothing.

I respect your right not to like them but respect mine to have them activated.

• Like 1

From a personal point of view, it doesn't bother me one iota whether folks have them active or not. But when i tried them, I just did not see any benefit from having them active. The size and position of the fogs doesn't make seeing the indicators any less visible, though on the FL VRS at least you can use VCDS to dim that side when the cornering light is on.

The only car where I DID see an improvement in visibility was in a pre-FL Yeti which has the larger circular lights, mounted higher up.

It could be argued that my indicators are not as visible with having dipped beam on at full intensity as Scandinavian DRLs(especially with HIDs, but I'm not going to start another HID war here) -- and the headlights are right next to the indicators.

@Anddenton -- how you they work when you are already using Scandinavian DRLs on your fogs? Are your DRLs dimmed, and does the cornering function bring that one side up to full intensity?

Mike

DRL's are on during the day when cornering fogs would have no effect, when the auto lights switch to dipped beams when it gets dark enough the DRL fogs go off and the fogs start operating as cornering lights under 30 mph which helps to see verges and curbs etc when navigating unlit rural areas.

I need to sort out my account so I get notifications... I had no idea people had replied to my comment until just now.

I wasn't saying that fog lights have blinded me as such, but on some cars i have seen on the road the fog light has obscured the indicator.

I can't remember the car but i'm sure it wasn't an Octavia (probably something french!) so I am not particularly worried about people not seeing my indicators.

Having had the car for a few days now I haven't actually checked to see if mine are activated or not. I must remember to have a look.

I can understand in some situations the lights may help, but I think manufacturers need to think carefully about every situation they might be used in which 'could' be misleading to other drivers.

Example. In the street where I live there are usually a few cars parked on the side of the road. One night I was driving along..... the parked cars were on the opposite side so i had right of way.

Another car was coming the other way and was just coming up to the parked cars (so should have obviously waited).

What I saw was a white light come on... I did not see an indicator. Whether the indicator was obscured or not is one thing, but if a fog light comes on your eye is automatically drawn to it.

Anyway, I carried on and then he just pulled out and we ended up head to head alongside the parked car.

I imagine some people would see a white light come on and maybe think they were being flashed to go. I wasn't actually sure what was going on tbh, i was just thinking, why has this guy just randomly put his fogs on? (I could only see his offside as the other one was behind the parked car).

He reversed out of the way but was i was passing he shouted something out of the window. I stopped, explained I had right of way and he argued that he was indicating long before I got there.

ok, ok so he was obviously in the wrong but my point is... why would you need your offside fog to come on when indicating to go around a parked car? There is absolutely no need for it.

I realise they only come on at slow speeds but maybe those situations are when they can cause the most confusion.

Anyway, it's not like I drive around shaking my fist at anybody that has them... if you like them then cool.. I just think it looks daft : )

Going off topic, but this isn't actually the case. Highway code doesn't establish that anyone has 'right of way' (it talks about priority in such situations).

The person with priority is interpreted to be whoever has already started a manoeuvre. If someone else reaches some parked cars on their side of the road and moves over to the right to pass them, you can't just carry on driving straight at them if it is too narrow to pass. You must wait for them to finish their manoeuvre, even though 'your side' of the road is clear of parked cars.

There is always the situation where two people reach the pinch point at the same time, and you should manage those situations with the consent of the other driver. Sensible etiquette may suggest that in an uncomplicated scenario the peson with a clear lane would go first. But what if you are trying to pass up/down a steep hill?

In your situation it sounds like you were already travelling past parked cars, and/or the opposing driver had held back and given the appearance of letting you go first, so please don't take this as a criticism, just a comment on a common misconception around this familiar situation.

In the street where I live there are usually a few cars parked on the side of the road. One night I was driving along..... the parked cars were on the opposite side so i had right of way.