My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

This is why I love this forum. My Octavia done this for the first time today, smelt hot rubber, loud fan after pulling onto my drive and it felt hot outside my driver door. Felt a little bit panicky that something wasn't right. However reading this has completely put me at ease. Many thanks all. 

On 04/09/2020 at 23:31, GlitchGolder said:

However reading this has completely put me at ease. Many thanks all. 

Apart from the fact you then know the cars been over fuelling to get more heat into the DPF .... That used to really irritate me.

To force a regen 

3rd gear @2500 to 3000 revs for 30 mins down a motor way , once you start dont stop no matter whats going on around you . 

If you have to break , start again . 

My VRs TDi was all ok until 200,000 miles then got lazy with regening , 

Changed all 5 sensors including the one in the turbo body, 

Ok for 5 weeks then started again. Regen light again , 

Sold the car and went back to petrol . 

@Andrew245

I had a 2016 TDI DSG SCR Alhambra until last November.. Never raced or rallied, well not on the road.

After 2 years it had enough of the occasional week where it only did a few miles for maybe 5 days in a row and the blocked DPF light started taking longer and longer to go out.

It would happily sit and do a regen while parked until people passing would be scared that it was going to catch fire.

Still sitting unsold at a Dealership, someone has dodged a bullet with that car.  Good for around near 60 mpg on runs and not 20 mpg if used for 5 days and maybe only 20 miles.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 years later...

I have a 2013 2.0 5E TDI CR Elegance and was under the impression it didn’t have DPF. I have the same thing and sometimes even after a long journey. I am have been trying to find out the feasibility of upgrading the car to Euro 6 as I live in Bristol. Some say it’s possible but neither Skoda or DVLA will accept it. I was also under the impression that the DPF sometimes required servicing which could get expensive. Any assistance/advice would be gratefully received.

ps: just can’t afford to change my car, love Skoda Diesels but even second hand are out of my reach as a pensioner.

You can not change anything about how they have your 2013 TDI which is as a Euro 5 emission car with a DPF, and not a Euro 6.

You could remove the engine and fit a Electric Motor & big battery so converting it to an EV.

Probably replacing it will be simpler / cheaper.

You might get a Petrol car for the money your diesel car is worth. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

You can not change anything about how they have your 2013 TDI which is as a Euro 5 emission car with a DPF, and not a Euro 6.

You could remove the engine and fit a Electric Motor & big battery so converting it to an EV.

Probably replacing it will be simpler / cheaper.

You might get a Petrol car for the money your diesel car is worth. 

Thank you, I sort of thought that otherwise lots would be doing it!!

• 4 months later...
On 02/01/2020 at 15:17, silver1011 said:

Be aware, modern petrol engines are being equipped with particulate filters too, Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF).

Petrol engines run hotter, get up to temperature faster and the GPF's operate differently from DPF's so are thought to be much more reliable.

They are still relatively new though, and as with all new technologies, especially emissions related ones they will potentially end up being problematic at some point...

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/what-is-a-petrol-particulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

I bought my GPF-equipped EA888 in July 2020 and have only put about 8K miles on it in the last three years.

I have not had even a hint of a GPF problem, but I do take it for a run down one junction of the M42 at least once a week.

I haven't heard of any GPF-related issues, other than it's thought they take the edge off performance a bit.

If you have particulate filter worries, petrol is definitely the way to go IMO.

Around now & from now on will be when there might be more on GPF issues, you can not know how things will be at 5 years and beyond until you get to 5 years and beyond. 

It would be interesting to know how much Main Dealers want for a replacement GPF if one is needed and fitted by them.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508126-2019-mk3-high-idle-problem

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479195-car-behaving-strangely

Edited by toot