My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this just happened yesterday to me in my mk3 fabia.. bloody DPF.. never had to worry about crap like this in my old mk1 fabia.. grrr.. I agree with everyone Skoda dealers need to do more at handover.. I was quite concerned last night.. only just happened after 5300+ miles though.. so thought it was something else.. didn't even occur it could be DPF.  dag nam it.. :whew:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update - 6 weeks since they replaced my turbo and oil pipes and I've never smelt anything on regen since.

If your car really pongs on regen then take off the undertray (easy 5 min job) and have a look up at the DPF. I bet it'll have oil dripping off it like mine did!

• Like 1

...or an option to leave it parked, locked and in neutral/park with the engine running until it's complete, then switch itself off - like the turbo boys used to do in the 90s with turbo timers that let the turbo cool down after a blast.

I used to have one on my Cavalier Turbo and Calibra Turbo. However my timer only kept the fan on and not the engine. In general though I used to drive the car normally for the last couple of miles to cool her down. Never used to race to the last metre and leave a glowing red hot manifold and turn her off. If I had too then would sit in the car for a minute or two and then turn her off. The timer would keep the fan going until the water temp was down enough.

Which of course would be illegal.

Only if your caught ;) I still leave the engine running till today if just jumping out of the car for something. Hot summers here and the air con is very welcome. Nearly 40 degrees this year was not good for the Turbo.

Anyhow I have the 1.8 TSI DSG and quote me if I am wrong but Petrol engines surely don't have this cycle, thus Skoda must have standard turbo timers. As I said with the hot weather we had out here this summer and city traffic, when I parked and turned the car off, the fan kept on going full, for 2 - 3 minutes more with a hissing noise, which sounded like a pump pushing coolant around. Then she turned off and all was quiet. Anybody else with a TSI had this? I know England is getting warmer too ;)

D.

...or an option to leave it parked, locked and in neutral/park with the engine running until it's complete, then switch itself off - like the turbo boys used to do in the 90s with turbo timers that let the turbo cool down after a blast.

Which is completely illegal.

• 4 weeks later...

Anymore documents like this?? Very good read for someone in the trade.

Recently bumped into one for the EA288 family specifically (unsurprisingly not very different from your document):

http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2014/05/17/ssp-840233-ea288-diesel-engine-family/ssp-840233-ea288-diesel-engine-family.pdf

And probably hundreds of self-study program documents in PDF form under the index pages here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index_eng.php

Some are quite dated, but some have recent enough information to be relevant for a long time to come. About Haldex coupling, gearboxes (manual, torque converting, DSG), ESP systems, power steering, variable valve timing, [insert favourite term here]...

Edited by neekohfi
  • Like 1

Recently bumped into one for the EA288 family specifically (unsurprisingly not very different from your document):

http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2014/05/17/ssp-840233-ea288-diesel-engine-family/ssp-840233-ea288-diesel-engine-family.pdf

And probably hundreds of self-study program documents in PDF form under the index pages here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index_eng.php

Some are quite dated, but some have recent enough information to be relevant for a long time to come. About Haldex coupling, gearboxes (manual, torque converting, DSG), ESP systems, power steering, variable valve timing, [insert favourite term here]...

That's brilliant thank you!

• 1 month later...

I cover about 300 miles in my normal week, and one day each week do a 65 mile each way motorway journey, which I would have thought would guarantee a decent DPF cycle.

Never the less I have noticed the described 'hot' smell and running fan on stopping on a day when I have perhaps only driven 15 miles.

Does anyone know why my car should decide it needs to burn off the soot, when it should not have time to accumulate to any significant amount?

It's not happened often, but the times it had I feel annoyed that a previous decent run either appears not to have been enough or possibly did not trigger a passive regen.

PS done 14k miles and have never seen the dpf light, even when its apparently attempting an active regen,

OctaviaGreenline3 you are experiencing a well known issue with DPFs and motorway driving, most people drive down the motorway in top grear with the rpm to low to generate a regeneration, The DPF fills during the high speed run and when you come off the car completes an active regeneration, try dropping down a gear for a while on the motorway to create a passive regen.

You should not see the DPF light, of you do you have a problem,

There's a thread about this on the mk2 section and the same applies to the mk3. The ECU in your car monitors the build up of soot in the DPF and will start a regen either when the soot reaches a certain level or when the car has covered around 600 miles since the last one. You will only get the DPF light on when it requires you to take action because it has tried to complete a number but failed- normally due to repeat short journeys. If you're not getting the light then just drive it as normal, dropping it down to a lower gear will just waste fuel as it will still do another at the circa 600 mile mark. tickover increasing to around 1000 rpm is the way I notice my mk2 is 'doing 1' if I can I usually drive a few miles until tickover goes back to normal.

Dempsek's reply #62 makes sense in that I do tend to cruise in 6th gear, but I also agree with littleade #63 that I'm not over keen on driving in a less econominical gear just in case the DPF might want cooking.  

What would make sense is for a status warning to come up to indicate the DPF levels are building up and a hot run would be beneficial.

Again last week I completed a 70 mile run and nothing.  Next day (cold morning) a drove 4 miles in urban traffic and it was doing a DPF cycle when I stopped, completely mad.  

If the car is capable of managing a DPF cycle on a relatively cold engine then it would make far more sense to have a go when cruising at 70 mph.

Another idea would be for the 'Driving Information' MAXIDOT display 'Gear recommendation' in such circumstances to switch from 'reduce fuel consumption' mode to 'assist DPF' mode. 

PS I still have never seen the Diesel Particulate filter warning icon light up, either in one of these cycles or indeed as part of the engine check sequence when the ignition is first turned on.  I'm beginning to wonder if there is such a light or is it an icon that can be displayed in the Driving Information area?

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to have " developed " the DPF problem but in the wrong order that is stated here. Mine s an Octavia 1.6 tide se 14 plate with 39600 on the clock. On the 23/12/15 the flashing glow plug light came on. Called the dealer and booked it for the afternoon. Later that morning the MIL light came on and limp mode kicked in. The dealer wasn't able to find what the problem was but would look at it again on Tuesday 28/12/15. On Xmas morning the DPF light came on and the warning triangle with the owners handbook message. Despite following the instructions to the letter I can't get the triangle or any of the warning lights to go out. It would seem it now needs a " forced regen" but after reading this thread I wondered why the lights appeared in reverse order? Any ideas ?

How much did you drive it and how far? Don't think you initially had a dpf issue... Flashing glow plug light indicates an engine management issue, sensor/actuator fault, engine will then not be operating correctly/efficiently depending on what's failed. MIL light came on to tell you to take action and limp mode kicked in to allow you to get it to dealer to get it looked at.... But the problem with a Diesel engine that's 'not happy' is that it burns the fuel really poorly creating soot and blocks the dpf really quickly! So now your dpf light is on to say you have an exhaust issue.

The dealer needs to fix the original issue then deal with the exhaust.

• Like 1

I seem to have " developed " the DPF problem but in the wrong order that is stated here. Mine s an Octavia 1.6 tide se 14 plate with 39600 on the clock. On the 23/12/15 the flashing glow plug light came on. Called the dealer and booked it for the afternoon. Later that morning the MIL light came on and limp mode kicked in. The dealer wasn't able to find what the problem was but would look at it again on Tuesday 28/12/15. On Xmas morning the DPF light came on and the warning triangle with the owners handbook message. Despite following the instructions to the letter I can't get the triangle or any of the warning lights to go out. It would seem it now needs a " forced regen" but after reading this thread I wondered why the lights appeared in reverse order? Any ideas ?

So are you saying that on the 23rd you took it to the dealer after the flashing glow plug light and the MIL came on and they couldn't find a problem and let you continue to drive it?

And now you have the DPF light on and it won't clear?

Sounds like a dealer owes you a DPF ..........

I dropped it off this morning . Had a chat with the head guy and I'll wait and see but he agreed the initial problem not being rectified probably led to the DPF light coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I don't think this is going well. I have been told that my car has been referred to skoda technical. I presume this means the dealer doesn't know what to do. I couldn't speak to anyone from the mechanical side as they'd gone home. The girl told me that the fault is indicating a turbo fault but couldn't tell me why. I'll go to the dealer in the morning and post the result. I've already lost confidence in the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the dealer the dealer this morning and I have to say they couldn't have been more helpful. I spent a good half hour with the head guy going through the diagnostics which he explained very clearly. Turns out it is the turbo . The actuator arm offered very little resistance and was loose and rattled. This has led to the sooting up of the DPF. They are going to replace the Turbo, regen the DPF. They have taken on board my concerns that the DPF may have had its life shortened but we have agreed to see what happens when the turbo is replaced. I asked the guy if he had many turbos go at 40000 miles he replied a few. Anyway should get the car back Wednesday evening so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update got the car back Saturday . Skoda have replaced the turbo, and put a new DPF filter in. Although it has taken a little bit longer than I would have liked at least it has been replaced and documented. Although the car has only done 40000 I think I will be replacing it by the end of the year. If it hadn't been covered under warranty I would have been well and truly screwed.

• Like 1