Naths MKII vRS Project

Naths vRS

From previous update about the car, engine has sized wont turn over.  £3,600 for garage to rebuild it. Currently SORN and sat on my drive....cannot be bothered with it. Got few months finance left on it. Might get stripped next year so watch this space.

:o it was running in the garage... what did they do to it!

I think you'd have a hard job playing the blame game with the garage, pretty sure it was fubar before they touched it.

yup as hutchy says its not the garage's (non Skoda garage btw) fault the engine was seized or sort of before it went in. I think i just need to man up and drop it off at Skoda dealer and see what they say.

Anyone clued up on finance etc, i'm guessing i'll still have to pay it even though i'm not/cant use it?

I don't think it is D15, I'm pretty sure they said that is okay. 

I just don't know what to do.

1. Find a donor engine chuck it in, sell it.  (most obvious choice)

2. Strip for parts / Scrap it.

Get the head off and see whats caused the issue? Surly that is the next step from here.

I have no mechanical knowledge, and garages are a rip off.

Well if its a piston or dropped a valve or similar its going to be cheaper to get it repaired. I'm surprised the garage quoted for a rebuild without seeing what it needed.

I broke a piston and 3 valves and the head was welded and skimmed for £250 and I did the rest myself for around £250 in parts (rings, gaskets etc). Labor which obviously was myself, would have been around £400?

Get it to someone trusted like Unit 18 and get that head off for a REAL idea of whats broken and what needs to be repaired. Or failing that whip it off yourself (you don't need much mechanical knowledge to do that) and lets have a looksie :)

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, well, well! I had a good look at 'easy options' to what it could be and low and behold I found this:

image1_zpsog42umvw.jpg

image2_zpsaquwqahj.jpg

image3_zpshmr0ytnl.jpg

How did the garage not see this?! it will explain the loss of power (as I've had trouble with ignition packs before and had the same problem) and the rattling noise I heard, and why it wouldn't start later that night.

Sorry but totally confused.

I thought the engine was supposedly seized.

The Ignition coils have surely been removed and the 4 spark plugs and a borescope done, 

and the Coils & Plugs removed more than once recently so anytime the coil can be broken.

Surely the first failure of the engine and the start of the diagnosis would have picked up on the most common reasons for failures.

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

Sorry but totally confused.

I thought the engine was supposedly seized.

The Ignition coils have surely been removed and the 4 spark plugs and a borescope done, 

and the Coils & Plugs removed more than once recently so anytime the coil can be broken.

Surely the first failure of the engine and the start of the diagnosis would have picked up on the most common reasons for failures.

Agreed, something like this would not seize an engine. Have they not found a reason  for the seizure?

Well im guessing the garage could have said it was seized and not even stripped it down just looking for quick money, as it wasn't a Skoda/Skoda approved garage.

Im not saying the above would seize the engine by any means.

but the car wouldn't of started witht his being like it is. In my previous statement where i put " the garage had it running for 20mins" it was meant to say 20 seconds....that's if they had it running as I couldn't pre RAC pick-up.

So did you never see the car at the garage with Ignition Coils removed and spark plugs out?

What report did they make and did they charge you money?

Seems like a comedy of errors going on rather than the basics being checked out by anyone that knows what they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

So did you never see the car at the garage with Ignition Coils removed and spark plugs out?

What report did they make and did they charge you money?

Seems like a comedy of errors going on rather than the basics being checked out by anyone that knows what they are doing.

No i didn't see the car at any time apart to pick it up with the RAC to take it back home.
They said charged me £60 only to replace a part I forget what part it was.