Fitting mesh to the upper grill on the FL yeti

wakev

• 6 months later...

Thanks for so much detail of the fitting,I was just wondering if you have any updates now the temperature's are rising of any possible overheating problems and the pro's and con's of the modification and what u might do differently,thanks

Thanks for so much detail of the fitting,I was just wondering if you have any updates now the temperature's are rising of any possible overheating problems and the pro's and con's of the modification and what u might do differently,thanks

I have done a few miles on the motorway and running around town (in nearly 30c) and it has had no on effect the cooling at all, plus I have also done the lower grill as well now to protect the condenser. If anyone would like to know how I did it send me a PM and I will post it up, all done through the top cover no need to remove any part of the bumper.

post-52230-0-93562500-1406069022_thumb.jpg  

EDIT details of the lower grill mesh now posted above 

• Like 1

For anyone wanting to try the mesh fitting here is how I did it.

Cut template along the top edge of the lower chrome strip, then up the middle of the last two grill slats (ignore the small triangles missing on the top corners the card was not big enough cut straight up),  along the top cut level with the top part of the chrome, leaving two large tabs to fit to the plastic push rivets.

FL_grill_001.JPG    
Cut mesh to template,  alone the bottom bend 5mm of the mesh at a right angle to the very ends.

To  fit the mesh remove the black cover from the top of grill, two torx screws and four plastic rivets (pull the center posts up and they will come out can be reused), hold the grill one end and pull and wobble the cover and it will come off, work along till is off.

Before fitting the grill you need to fit the bottom fixings I used 1mm galvanised tying wire. Cut a piece about 150mm and use this to make the holes for the lower fixings 6 arrows along the bottem.FL_grill_013.JPG

If you look inside you will find at the bottom of each slat a flat behind them, I used the wire heated with a lighter to melt holes through the plastic, then fitted a long length of wire through the hole pulling the top part out of the grill.  the outer edges of the mesh are held by a rubber flap each side (already there).

Put the mesh in pushing the bent lower section into a small groove  at the bottom of the slats, this part is a fiddle,  then when its looking right take the wires at the front and put them through the mesh as low as possible behind the slates, then twist tight with small pliers and remove excess.FL_grill_011.JPG  
The top is then pushed into the top groove the there are three tabs that can be drilled and the mesh wired to them, plus the black cover will hold it if you push the excess under the top lip, the two tabs I cut on the top bend over and lay where the plastic rivets fit the top cover trim them to length just past the holes, 

FL_grill_002.JPG

Refit the top cover and push the plastic rivets through the cover and mesh (the holes are the right size for the rivets).

Job done all you need now is a plaster or two on your arms and wash the blood off the grill 

EDIT 23/7/2014 

Have been asked how I did the lower grill so here goes.

I made a template with the card that come with the mesh cutting it to the middle of the silver lower front bumper (the picture shows the cut lines).

Sorry images come over small click them to enlarge.

Cut mesh to template, then cut the mesh in half.
Gut line shown on template.

With the top cover under the bonnet removed (as for the upper grill) lower one at a time down to the under pan (in front of the radiator is a deep area put the bottom of the mesh in there) then move the top forward towards the lower grill. using a piece of wire hock the mesh and pull it forward and up.  

The top of the mesh fits up between the plastic bumper and the polystyrene cover over the front cross member, holding the mesh in place nicely, repeat with the other piece of mesh, then line the two parts up it should line up so you cannot see the cut.

Now is the fiddle.  put your fingers in the long holes (the 3 at the bottom) of the silver part put your thumbs on the black part about push the black part in and the silver part out (may need a wiggle and a fair push). the two parts will  separate.  in the grove where the silver part sits are some holes where I fed tying wire (same as used on upper grill)  its a bit of a fiddle getting it back through the other hole, bit clearer in the photo below, pull the wire tight and twist a couple of times, then cut the ends short and push it all into the grove and push the two trims back together, job done.

Thanks for putting the instructions up for the lower grill :sun:

Thanks for the detailed instructions, they will prove very useful when I get round to doing the job. 

I tried to remove the black cover this morning just to see how much room I had to work in, I removed the two 30 torx screws and plastic rivets easily to detach it from the front panel but when I tried to separate the top cover from the grill I couldn't get them apart.

I chickened out as the grill feels a bit flimsy when giving it a good tug and thought I might break something expensive. Am I missing something? is there a technique to this or am I just not giving it enough persuasion?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Bootlace

Thanks for the detailed instructions, they will prove very useful when I get round to doing the job. 

I tried to remove the black cover this morning just to see how much room I had to work in, I removed the two 30 torx screws and plastic rivets easily to detach it from the front panel but when I tried to separate the top cover from the grill I couldn't get them apart.

I chickened out as the grill feels a bit flimsy when giving it a good tug and thought I might break something expensive. Am I missing something? is there a technique to this or am I just not giving it enough persuasion?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Bootlace

Start one end on the very end pulling it back towards the screen and move it up and down, it takes a good pull but it will come apart, I have had mine apart loads of times planning the job and then doing the upper then the lower grill, and have not broken anything off it, there is a lot of room in the back I have hands like shovels :D and had no problem. 

PS pull top cover with one hand, hold grill with the other. 

Success! I managed to pull the top cover off, thanks for the info I don't think I was trying hard enough.  Starting from the off-side seemed to be the easiest way to separate the two parts...  (and I've only lost one of the rivets)

Now for the mesh,  I'm thinking of going for a black mesh and possibly not fitting it up against the grill so that the appearance remains more standard.  I'll have a look and see if that is a practical solution.

Thanks once again for the help

Bootlace

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this guide / info.

Having got a Yeti )pre-FL) now and seen just how big the gaps are in the grill and how easy it would be to damage the radiator, I think I'll be fitting some mesh to the lower grill at some point.

Probably when I add front parking sensors as the bumper will be coming off and to will make it easier to do both at the same time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For anyone wanting to try the mesh fitting here is how I did it.

Cut template along the top edge of the lower chrome strip, then up the middle of the last two grill slats (ignore the small triangles missing on the top corners the card was not big enough cut straight up),  along the top cut level with the top part of the chrome, leaving two large tabs to fit to the plastic push rivets.

FL_grill_001.JPG    
Cut mesh to template,  alone the bottom bend 5mm of the mesh at a right angle to the very ends.

To  fit the mesh remove the black cover from the top of grill, two torx screws and four plastic rivets (pull the center posts up and they will come out can be reused), hold the grill one end and pull and wobble the cover and it will come off, work along till is off.

Before fitting the grill you need to fit the bottom fixings I used 1mm galvanised tying wire. Cut a piece about 150mm and use this to make the holes for the lower fixings 6 arrows along the bottem.FL_grill_013.JPG

If you look inside you will find at the bottom of each slat a flat behind them, I used the wire heated with a lighter to melt holes through the plastic, then fitted a long length of wire through the hole pulling the top part out of the grill.  the outer edges of the mesh are held by a rubber flap each side (already there).

Put the mesh in pushing the bent lower section into a small groove  at the bottom of the slats, this part is a fiddle,  then when its looking right take the wires at the front and put them through the mesh as low as possible behind the slates, then twist tight with small pliers and remove excess.FL_grill_011.JPG  
The top is then pushed into the top groove the there are three tabs that can be drilled and the mesh wired to them, plus the black cover will hold it if you push the excess under the top lip, the two tabs I cut on the top bend over and lay where the plastic rivets fit the top cover trim them to length just past the holes, 

FL_grill_002.JPG

Refit the top cover and push the plastic rivets through the cover and mesh (the holes are the right size for the rivets).

Job done all you need now is a plaster or two on your arms and wash the blood off the grill 

EDIT 23/7/2014 

Have been asked how I did the lower grill so here goes.

I made a template with the card that come with the mesh cutting it to the middle of the silver lower front bumper (the picture shows the cut lines).

Sorry images come over small click them to enlarge.

Cut mesh to template, then cut the mesh in half.
Cut line shown on template.

With the top cover under the bonnet removed (as for the upper grill) lower one at a time down to the under pan (in front of the radiator is a deep area put the bottom of the mesh in there) then move the top forward towards the lower grill. using a piece of wire hook the mesh and pull it forward and up.  

The top of the mesh fits up between the plastic bumper and the polystyrene cover over the front cross member, holding the mesh in place nicely, repeat with the other piece of mesh, then line the two parts up it should line up so you cannot see the cut.

Now is the fiddle.  put your fingers in the long holes (the 3 at the bottom) of the silver part put your thumbs on the black part about push the black part in and the silver part out (may need a wiggle and a fair push). the two parts will  separate.  in the grove where the silver part sits are some holes where I fed tying wire (same as used on upper grill)  its a bit of a fiddle getting it back through the other hole, bit clearer in the photo below, pull the wire tight and twist a couple of times, then cut the ends short and push it all into the grove and push the two trims back together, job done.

Now that is a very nice job, I wish I had done that. :clap:

• 1 year later...

thanks for the guide wakev ;)

have just finished doing the lower grille using a mesh panel from wickes £3.99 120mm x 1000mm

20170815_113537_resized.thumb.jpg.ba7de33d71886762ad9bed80a37b10d7.jpg

quite a faff wasn't it :sweat:

used a hot wire to burn holes in the plastic to tie the mesh in

20170815_115322_resized.thumb.jpg.d1f244e7a7fdbf03a4cbcf67adae0c71.jpg

20170815_133814_resized.thumb.jpg.4a8a4b10b8750bb211ca188e2b84eaeb.jpg

20170815_141828_resized.thumb.jpg.78ee112e5da1b3ed387c923fc2c03225.jpg

will try the upper grille next week.

• 2 weeks later...