Noise after stopping 1.8TSI

Hi all.

After driving my 1.8TSI up to temp, when I shut it off, something is making like a electrical fan noise. No, its not the cooling fans in the front. Sounds like it is behind the turbo?

- John

I get clicks and a motor type noise on my L&K. Think it may be the heater directional vents behind the dash closing. They do on some other make of cars

Same here, noticed it exactly the first time I parked. Happened today as well, so I hope it is normal, but it'd be good if somebody had explanation for it...

Nobrakes you are correct, I found this one in a service manual for the old 1.8 TFSI 160hp engine, to which you refer. I suppose it is expected then to have it on the new 1.8 TSI 180hp

Cooling circuit

This cooling circuit operates under the cross-flow principle. The coolant flows from the radiator to the coolant pump module, which drives it to the inside of the engine block.

Like in other overboosted petrol engines, the circuit has an electrical pump, V51, for coolant post-circulation.

This pump protects the turbocharger, after stopping the engine, against excess heating up after being under intense loads and thus prevents the oil accumulated

in the blower fan shaft from carbonizing. The electrical pump is activated by the engine control unit for a maximum of 15 minutes from the moment of switching off the ignition. During this period of activation,

the pump drives the coolant from the radiator to the turbocharger, in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nobrakes you are correct, I found this one in a service manual for the old 1.8 TFSI 160hp engine, to which you refer. I suppose it is expected then to have it on the new 1.8 TSI 180hp

Cooling circuit

This cooling circuit operates under the cross-flow principle. The coolant flows from the radiator to the coolant pump module, which drives it to the inside of the engine block.

Like in other overboosted petrol engines, the circuit has an electrical pump, V51, for coolant post-circulation.

This pump protects the turbocharger, after stopping the engine, against excess heating up after being under intense loads and thus prevents the oil accumulated

in the blower fan shaft from carbonizing. The electrical pump is activated by the engine control unit for a maximum of 15 minutes from the moment of switching off the ignition. During this period of activation,

the pump drives the coolant from the radiator to the turbocharger, in the opposite direction.

Is it reasonable, do you think, to assume that this will apply also to the 2.0 TSI engine in the VRS?