Kipping in a yeti auto.

skid2

Roof not sturdy enough you say, then try a Packashack

http://www.packashack.co.uk/

That's just an overnight rain shelter. As seemingly it can't stand without the car present. So you can't exactly camp anywhere for more than one night. Furthermore it is single skinned so you can't sleep in it.

I am 6'4 and cannot sleep in the back of my Yeti, my old x-trail was perfect for this, floors folding completely, with enough room for an air bed to fit in. This days the occasional night spent in the car(usually at a rest area in Germany somewhere) involves a slighty reclined front passenger seat and lots of items covering the windows for a little privacy. The main problem in my yeti for someone shorter would be the spare wheel, when all the seats are out, perhaps with a more level surface area and folded front seats it could be done.

It all depends how much comfort you want, all these add on products would have to be used an awful lot to make them value for money.

...In any country bar the UK, caravaning is seen for what it is: a more comfortable way to camp than in a tent (with said 3 AM facilities INSIDE your box - so no walk of shame*). But here caravans are seen as for OAPs only.  ...

Possibly the UK is a more crowded isle than S Africa or New Zealand. I expect car owners there have more space to store their caravans - in the UK it must be mostly  the OAPs and retired who have the space to store a 'van!

OK its a theory anyway ;) - one could always buy parking for your caravan, but that adds to the cost in money and time. Probably most folk like myself either holiday further abroad  / don't have the time to tow / consider the economics to be less advantageous...  

......... in the UK it must be mostly  the OAPs and retired who have the space to store a 'van!

Been caravanning since the age of 21 (I am now 61 but regrettably no longer indulge), and have always parked our van on our property. Whenever we moved (many times in the past but not lately), caravan parking was a main consideration. Appreciate though, that not many new houses now have space for van, especially in inner cities and towns, more's the pity.

Thanks all. It was only going to be for about four nights in a field in Oxford in August. (Where and when we have to be really unlucky with the weather)

The idea was to chuck an airbed and duvet in the back. Baby gas cooker for coffee/tea and a couple of campaign chairs to sit and read in. (We're old)

Entertainment, food and beer taken care of

Im six foot. The Dame isn't

Thanks again 

Edited by skid2

Good festival I keep meaning to get to.

I have a feeling that the organisers are quite strict about their camping and what people can use, so sleeping in the car without a tent might not be allowed. Might be worth checking.

Worked last year in a hideously semi converted Toyota import. Like an Avensis or something on steroids. No fun to drive, dash unreadable at night. The lights actually made the place darker. It drank diesel and oil and  the only fun I had was outbreaking VW Golfs into roundabouts. While hoofing it flat out out of Anglesey I don't think I ever felt closer to a sudden and  untimely end.

Plus points. 

Waitrose. And the English and  Welsh were incredibly decent about giving you a break on motorway access. Much more so than in Ireland where motorway manners would be largely non existent. That's north and south.

Theres always plan B.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this old thread up again.

My Yeti has the fold flat front seat which has turned out to the best option I went for. It has enabled me to transport 2.4m long fence posts and makes a great changing table for baby.

It's got me thinking about the practicalities of sleeping in the Yeti. There's plenty of length (even though I'm 6'3") so I'd just need some kind of platform level with the folded flat front seat, like the Swiss Room Box. Anyone tried making something (for one person) instead of paying silly money to the Swiss?

I got the front sensors because my previous Yeti didn't have them and glad I did.  

I was considering the front seat option but I've not required the use of one yet, but I bet its one of those things if you've got then you'll use it. :)  

I also use it for moving my brush cutter... it's so useful, and can't actually cost any more to manufacture than a normal seat I'm surprised most cars don't have a fold flat front seat as standard. Folding rear seats are standard now, why not front?

Fold flat front seats? Was that an option in 2011?

If so, I wonder if I could retro fit a passenger seat?

Don't see why not. I've been thinking the same.

I'm sure the fittings haven't changed since they started building them and I doubt the folding seats are any different.

Finding one might be the issue and I expect it'd be very expensive if buying one from the dealer.

At least I could sleep in it whilst away. Building a platform to make a bed (like the Swissbox, but not as good) shouldn't be too hard.