Fuel consumption 1.8TSI

Hi.

What is your experience with fuel consumption on this engine? I have a FWD that I'm running to work everyday. Mostly freeway (ca. 120KM/H) and some city driving to the ramps...

This results in roughly 0.85L/100, which is about 0,15L-0,20L higher than my old Mk2 1.6FSI Octavia. I expected consumption to be lower, not higher :p.

I have managed figures of 7.5-8.0 with hell of an effort, right to the point you feel so miserable to drive this carefully.

With normal driving in traffic I have so far averaged 10-11 L/100

I keep telling myself that it will improve significantly after a few tsd. Miles :) but my car is the full banana

UK driving 1.8tsi L&K     34-36 MPG around town and local runs.      75 ish MPH  long runs  39-41 MPG Had this engine size on 2 cars for 3 1/2 years.

• Like 1

This pic is from 25. December. The average has gone up to 7.6 now and 4.500km.

this is 1.8 tsi 4x4 dsg.

Astonishing. If I get this by your mileage, I would jump my head off to the ceiling! Did you ever stop at traffic light? :)

Astonishing. If I get this by your mileage, I would jump my head off to the ceiling! Did you ever stop at traffic light? :)

Not much traffic lights around here, We live in the countryside, but if you see the average km/t(h). You see that we do a lot of short trips with cold engine. And we often use the park heater, so I hope the average goes down too 6.5-7 in the summertime.. :)

Edited by Kabe111

Mine is FWD, manual shift.

By the way I realized that the dashboard was trying to mislead me. It's now showing 6.7L long term consumption but in deed it is 7.75L (based on my fuel log app). Just sayin'.

• 3 months later...

Well seems the consumption has dropped some now that break-in is complete at 7000km. I get around 7.6L/100KM in stop-go traffic and 6.7ish on country roads with no traffic.

• Like 1

Have had the 1.8 TSI DSG 4x4 estate for 6 months in Scandinavian winter conditions (i.e. roof box, winter tyres). Average 9.1 l/100 km long term, but manage down to 6.0l/100 km with effort in summer. So far en excellent companionship, I love the Haldex in snow.

• Like 1

I had those numbers after I got it from the dealer. Mine is FWD though,  and I were running studded tires at the time which may increase consumption. It magically went down quite alot after covering 5000km or so.

No roofbox and I have the sport suspension which might slightly lower the drag of the car.

The 4WD though is about 100KG heavier than FWD if I'm not wrong, which probably eats up some mileage. One of the reasons I didn't get that drivetrain :).

I have driven only 1600km so far, FWD/DSG (sport suspension and 18'' wheels) 1.8tsi and it seems avg 7,4L/100km thus far, approx. avg speed around 55km/h. I hope to get even lower consumption later, when it has more km driven.

Edited by komtuur

Would like to point out that Driving Mode Selection has a large impact on consumption.  The "Eco" mode yields 0,1-0,2 l/100km better (i.e. less) fuel consumption than in "Normal" mode for my 1.8 TSI DSG 4x4 estate.  Lifting the accellerator in "Eco" mode will put the gearbox in Neutral "rolling mode", as opposed to brake noticably when in "Normal" mode. 

I've been following this thread and a bit confused by the terminology being used. Just to clarify what the acronyms usually are;

FWD - Front Wheel Drive

AWD - All Wheel Drive, usually constant to all wheels eg Subaru, Scout, Rav4

4WD - As above but with low range, proper off road use eg Land Rover Discovery Landcruisers

• 1 year later...

I have had my Octavia III 1.8 TSI DSG L&K estate for nearly a week. It was 19 months old and had only done 2700. I've already done 300 + miles in varied conditions. I've seen economy ranging from 33 mpg (8.56 l/km) to 42 mpg (6.73 l/km). I have mainly used eco mode with some periods of Sport when I wanted to explore the performance potential. It's quick!

I've reset the "lifetime" economy and set to mpg - not used to l/km in UK. The previous lifetime average was only 32.5!

I'm now using Shell V-Power Nitro. Since filling up I'm averaging about 39.5mpg with a mix of spirited driving offset by eco warrior behavior.

Loving the new car. The headlights (Bi-Xenon's) are amazing. It's also much more refined and very easy to be going much quicker than you intend whatever the road.

Would love to hear what others (especially previous posters on thread) are now getting now their cars are that bit more run in and discovered how to get the most out of it.

As for me, it's about time I tried the other modes.

I'm now using Shell V-Power Nitro. Since filling up I'm averaging about 39.5mpg with a mix of spirited driving offset by eco warrior behavior.

I always use Tesco Greenenergy or Shell V-Power Nitro where possible

• Like 1

8.2l/100km for me after 44000km.

I do short (16km) hilly daily commutes. The engine is hardly at the right temperature when I arrive.

The rest is done on roads and motorways.

I've measured around 7l/100 on main roads, 6.2 on highways at 110km/h, 7.2 at 130km/h.

Edited by JPH0091
  • Like 1