Adaptive headlights

I've noticed over the past few evenings that my offside headlight (in particular on full beam) wanders off to the right. It still goes left when steering in that direction but when returning to a straight line it lights up the pavements / hedges on the other side of the road, while the near side headlight points exactly where I think it should. Is this normal or should I contact the dealer?

My car is the Mk 3 vRS Estate, 6,000 miles.

At what speed is this happening? Also what are the weather conditions?  There are several different modes for city, highway, rain and fog driving, these and there function are all listed in the owners manual.

Ah, I wasn't aware that the headlights were designed to point in different directions according to the driving conditions, I thought it was just around bends. So it's normal for (in some situations) the offside headlight to point over to the right?

Also, is there a way I can turn this off?

Ah, I wasn't aware that the headlights were designed to point in different directions according to the driving conditions, I thought it was just around bends. So it's normal for (in some situations) the offside headlight to point over to the right?

Also, is there a way I can turn this off?

I think what you're referring to is 'city mode' where the spread of light is wider to to light up both sides of the road.  You can't turn individual modes off, you can turn AFS off altogether though.

• Like 1

I think what you're referring to is 'city mode' where the spread of light is wider to to light up both sides of the road.  You can't turn individual modes off, you can turn AFS off altogether though.

How does the car know it's in a City?  GPS ?  No Sat Nav, no GPS

Chances are it'll know your at Asda and not Tesco.......or even LidL

• Like 1

How does the car know it's in a City?  GPS ?  No Sat Nav, no GPS

:think:

It's just the name of the mode, it works based on the speed you're driving at.

City mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that it illuminates the adja- cent pavement, crossings, etc. The mode is active at speeds of 15-50 km/h.

Is AFS an option or does it come as part of BiXenon kit?

Mine does go left/right on full beams...

Not so sure about dips.

Btw how do you turn it on/off?

'AFS: adaptive front lighting system is a feature of bi-xenons and allows the light beam to adapt to the cars speed, direction and weather conditions. Urban driving emits a shorter, wider beam whilst faster driving emits a longer beam.'  -from 2013 Octavia handbook.

No idea if you can turn it off.

and allows the light beam to adapt to the cars speed, direction and weather conditions.

So it will know if it's Windy, if the wind is blowing left to right will it shine the beam more to the Left to counteract the beam been blown to the right by the wind, now that is clever

Will it also know whether its sunny, foggy or raining

• Like 1

So it will know if it's Windy, if the wind is blowing left to right will it shine the beam more to the Left to counteract the bead been blown to the right by the wind, now that is clever

If you've got nothing constructive to post then please don't post anything.  Stop trying to drag the forum down.

Will it also know whether its sunny, foggy or raining

Yes because if its foggy then the foglights should be on and if it's raining the wipers will be on.

Personally I like to see what's coming up in front of me, rather than what's for sale in shop windows during the January sales.

Forward vision is not affected, city mode doesn't affect how far in front of the car the headlights shine (at least not on mine :happy: ).

Hi guys,

You can turn the AFS off by switching the lights on manually (turn the knob to full light and not on auto).

There is another topic where other people have the similar problem. My light point to the side when it's raining. Went to dealer to check : electronic is Ok, xenon are Ok, they don't know where it comes from... I posted a link where you can see it on a snowy night :

http://videobam.com/ivVml

Dealer told me to try in manual... when I do switch back to manual, both beams are centered again, but then they don't turn in curves which is annoying...

I also found a small video which descibe the different modes, but unfortunatly no rain mode in.

Here is the forum topic, just have a look :

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/297456-xenons-and-main-beam/page-2

Could some people try to make video when it's raining or snowing, just to compare ?

• 4 months later...

Hi, did you ever get this fixed?

Mine does exactly the same and it can not be correct. The headlight shines directly across the oncoming carriage way. This has caused me numerous flashes from other divers and I have to wonder the legality or MOT status when the time comes.

The dealer told me it is a characteristic of the car but it is as if something hasn't translated from left to right hand drive.

Alun.

Possibly we can adjust the car so city mode (wide spread beam) goes off above say 3mph and the beams centre - let me look into it as my car is the same, beam shines into oncoming traffic at slow speed!

• Like 1

I'd say mine does the opposite. Somewhere between 20-30 mph the right hand headlight starts pointing to the hedge on the other side of the road. In effect I have only one headlight point at the road where I want to see.

Alun.

I'd say mine does the opposite. Somewhere between 20-30 mph the right hand headlight starts pointing to the hedge on the other side of the road. In effect I have only one headlight point at the road where I want to see.

Alun.

That's city more, it's described in the manual, both headlights are still shining on the road but your just getting a wider spread.

For those who are interested it can be disabled easily. There is a tick box in the coding for the xenon module, once done you will get an error on the dash "bend light error"

You then need to redo the basic settings which will recalibrate the lights - error will then be gone and function will return to normal.

I can post up screen shots but it's really self explanatory.

I have done this on mine and can confirm its working - much better IMHO

• Like 1

I have seen that Neily, but it's still doing it at 60mph. Surely they can't have designed something that lights up the hedge and not the road you're driving on? It sounds perfect on paper but I really think it's a fault if the headlight isn't pointing at the road.

Can also turn it off or disable by selecting the head lights to on (not in auto) or under Eco for lighting on the individual setting.