Adaptive headlights

I have seen that Neily, but it's still doing it at 60mph. Surely they can't have designed something that lights up the hedge and not the road you're driving on? It sounds perfect on paper but I really think it's a fault if the headlight isn't pointing at the road.

Can also turn it off or disable by selecting the head lights to on (not in auto) or under Eco for lighting on the individual setting.

If it's still doing it 60mph then you've got a fault.

• 6 months later...

I have seen that Neily, but it's still doing it at 60mph. Surely they can't have designed something that lights up the hedge and not the road you're driving on? It sounds perfect on paper but I really think it's a fault if the headlight isn't pointing at the road.

Can also turn it off or disable by selecting the head lights to on (not in auto) or under Eco for lighting on the individual setting.

No point starting a new thread when this one covers it. Last night my offside light started doing as described above.....shining at the hedges on the other side of the road about 15 metres in front, I noticed when i switched to main beam. After maybe 15 secs the light slowly centred itself. Noticed it on another 2 occasions and got me wondering if it was something to do with switching to main beam while on a right hand corner but alas this morning i nipped out and when stopping in traffic after a left hand corner on dipped beam i noticed the off side headlight beam moving back to its correct direction on the car in fronts bumper so main beam is nothing to with it. Got to be a fault, it points that far over to the right that it looks comical on main beam.

Anyone else had a problem like this rectified? I'll get in touch with my local dealer and get the car booked in, AND more importantly report back on this thread what happens seeing as it's something alot of people can't be arsed to do on forums (I'm alright jack and all that cobblers).

Edited by WizzardsCuff

No point starting a new thread when this one covers it. Last night my offside light started doing as described above.....shining at the hedges on the other side of the road about 15 metres in front, I noticed when i switched to main beam. After maybe 15 secs the light slowly centred itself. Noticed it on another 2 occasions and got me wondering if it was something to do with switching to main beam while on a right hand corner but alas this morning i nipped out and when stopping in traffic after a left hand corner on dipped beam i noticed the off side headlight beam moving back to its correct direction on the car in fronts bumper so main beam is nothing to with it. Got to be a fault, it points that far over to the right that it looks comical on main beam.

Anyone else had a problem like this rectified? I'll get in touch with my local dealer and get the car booked in, AND more importantly report back on this thread what happens seeing as it's something alot of people can't be arsed to do on forums (I'm alright jack and all that cobblers).

That's normal and working exactly as discribed in the owners manual.

Mine does this, it doesn't appear to do it all the time. And sometimes when I'm sitting in traffic I see the right headlight slowly Centering itself but not other times.

I know it's supposed to spread the beam in town but it seems a bit erratic. Also I can sometimes clearly see the kick up on the right headlight is shining into oncoming traffic which must be too far over?

This was easier to see in the fog a few days ago and putting the fog lights on disables the adaptive headlights and they would centre then if I turned the fogs off they wouldn't spread the beam for 30 seconds or so although the directional function would work again

That's normal and working exactly as discribed in the owners manual.

Normal for the off side main beam to be pointing so far right that the a-pillar is in line with myself and the beam at 50+ mph? And that it takes around 15 secs before it slowly moves back to straight ahead? I've missed that page in the manual :)

P.s. the 'in line with a pillar' bit wont be as pronounced for others as i have to sit quite far back, but its still comical to see the beam pointing over to the right so far when i want it to be straight ahead seeing as i'm on a straight road. I'll be making the same journey again tonight and hopefully it wont be raining on the way there and will be on the way back or vice-versa so i can see if rain mode has anything to with causing it

Edited by WizzardsCuff

Normal for the off side main beam to be pointing so far right that the a-pillar is in line with myself and the beam at 50+ mph? And that it takes around 15 secs before it slowly moves back to straight ahead? I've missed that page in the manual :)

P.s. the 'in line with a pillar' bit wont be as pronounced for others as i have to sit quite far back, but its still comical to see the beam pointing over to the right so far when i want it to be straight ahead seeing as i'm on a straight road. I'll be making the same journey again tonight and hopefully it wont be raining on the way there and will be on the way back or vice-versa so i can see if rain mode has anything to with causing it

My previous Superb II had Xenon and AFSII and used to do exactly this, I could see it moving back into line when crawling in stop-start traffic.  I agree with Neily03 that it is working as designed.

Sounds like the "city mode".

I did ask dealer, they cannot change the speed limit for the city mode.

Mine are pointing to the road side only when it's raining. Dealer told me that it's the rain mode and that's normal... For me it's a really a bad idea, when driving on forest roads at 90 km/h, you are not seeing the road but the side. I have to switch my lights from Auto to normal so they keep centered. But than you don't have the AFS at all, which is a pain.

The light following the road bending is great in normal condition, and should be even better in bad conditions like rainy nights...

In the video I posted earlier, we can see the different light cones at different speeds, but nothing for rain mode...

You can disable individual modes (or them all of you like)

I switched off city mode as I felt the drivers dipped beam drifted into the oncoming traffic to much and I got flashed a few times.

has anyone noticed their beam moving ahead of the car on faster roads?  Mine seems to stay at the same position about 10m in front of the car whether im in town or on the motorway although the turning works ok.

is it anything I can check in VCDS?

has anyone noticed their beam moving ahead of the car on faster roads?  Mine seems to stay at the same position about 10m in front of the car whether im in town or on the motorway although the turning works ok.

According to the manual city-mode should turn off at 50 km/h, which moves the beam to the "normal" position and then to highway mode when you go over 100 km/h.

According to the manual city-mode should turn off at 50 km/h, which moves the beam to the "normal" position and then to highway mode when you go over 100 km/h.

I dont seem to get that.  Its fixed for all speeds.

Then there might be something wrong with your AFL lights. Someone might want to take a look with VCDS.

Do they follow the steering?

They are fine left to right and swivel as normal in the different modes.

Ive got VCDS but not sure where to check about the afs.  Its not throwing any errors at the moment.

You can disable individual modes (or them all of you like)

I switched off city mode as I felt the drivers dipped beam drifted into the oncoming traffic to much and I got flashed a few times.

They are fine left to right and swivel as normal in the different modes.

Ive got VCDS but not sure where to check about the afs.  Its not throwing any errors at the moment.

xpower might be able to help you out since he's been fiddling with the appropriate settings before.

• 1 month later...

I've had no further luck with mine other than being told it is a characteristic of the car. I think it is city mode but to an extreme! At 55mph its still pointing at the hedge, nudge over 60 and it'll return to being forward. 

it'd be fine if it returned at a slower speed, 55mph is not when you want to be lighting the hedge, far prefer to see the road properly. 

Anyone any idea where to look in VCDS?

Have you disabled all the modes to see if this cures the issue? It won't affect the lights turning but will stop city mode, all weather mode etc.

Once you've disabled them just reset the lights

headlightadaptation_zpsa81ebecc.jpg

• 6 months later...