Adaptive headlights

Here a vid from this morning, what do you think about it ? At the beginning I'm going into fog, we can clearly see that the driver side beam is totally on the side.

Normal or not ???

https://youtu.be/0GfTwMkHpE4

That's the same as what mine did. Except the other side of the road of course. Absolutely bizarre that Skoda thought this was a good idea.

So it should be "normal" according to you ???

I really beleive it's more dangerous than something else... in bad weather it's lighting the road side and trees and not right in front of you. That's in bad weather condition that the directional lights should be more efficiency, and they just do the opposite !

When you say that your did the same.., did you change something to correct this ?

Edited by luxdog

So it should be "normal" according to you ???

I really beleive it's more dangerous than something else... in bad weather it's lighting the road side and trees and not right in front of you. That's in bad weather condition that the directional lights should be more efficiency, and they just do the opposite !

When you say that your did the same.., did you change something to correct this ?

Its 'normal' according to Skoda. Its ludicrous that the car is lighting the other side of the road at speeds up to 60mph. 

I don't have the car anymore - the firm ride and seats gave me a bad back. My new car (3 series) also has adaptive lights but they only have a wide spread at speeds less than 30mph. Much better in my opinion.

The only thing you can do is turn the lighting switch from auto to dipped headlights. Pretty poor really.

That's what I do, but I send the videos to my garage, just to be sure.

What is strange is that sometimes it works Ok in straigh lines, sometimes not. I can see this on the vid I send.

I'll see what they reply. My car is still under warranty for a few weeks, so I'm pushing it now.

Hi, I'm new to Skoda and new to this forum. I too noticed when driving today that my O/S headlamp decided to light up the trees on the right hand side of the road.  The N/S headlamp did as it was told.  I had it on full beam when I noticed.  I turned off the lights (slightly risky I'd admit) and turned them back on again.  The lights then self corrected.  It happened twice more on the same journey.  I've booked it in but am reluctant to bother because they'll do the usual thing of saying: "We tested it sir and found no fault."

Any ideas? Any resolutions?

Hi, I'm new to Skoda and new to this forum. I too noticed when driving today that my O/S headlamp decided to light up the trees on the right hand side of the road.  The N/S headlamp did as it was told.  I had it on full beam when I noticed.  I turned off the lights (slightly risky I'd admit) and turned them back on again.  The lights then self corrected.  It happened twice more on the same journey.  I've booked it in but am reluctant to bother because they'll do the usual thing of saying: "We tested it sir and found no fault."

Any ideas? Any resolutions?

Sounds like they're working as stated in the owners manual

• 3 months later...

I've been having this issue too. It's not right and would be an MOT failure, the beam pointing into the on coming traffic. Possible con & use offence too.

I took my car to my dealer at the beginning of this month and they tested it. They seemed to think there was a problem and tried to reinstall the software for the light controller but there was an issue....kept saying "Data incompatibility". They contacted Skoda who were stumped themselves.

I have it at 60 plus mph and it's clearly an issue that needs sorting out. A headlight pointing into the eyes of oncoming traffic is a bad idea.

I took it in today for them to change the headlight controller and was told about the bulletin from Skoda explaining the adaptive headlights. I will not accept that the whole light pointing to the offside is part of this, especially since they have identified an issue with the software.

I'll update you all later once they've looked at the car.

Rich

It wouldn't be an MoT failure as at a standstill the headlight returns to the straight ahead position.

It shouldn't be off to the off side at 60mph though, so it is sticking in City Mode.

As a workaround, City Mode can be disabled with VCDS, but that isn't the long term fix that Skoda need to come up with.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

This sounds awful.

Was kind of wishing my car had xenon's but having seen this not so sure.

Sounds like Motorway Mode is equivalent to  main beam so only available at 68mph. Country roads I travel on are all unlit with 60 mph (or less) limits, so no main beam for me without losing auto and cornering function.

Somebody somewhere thought this was all a good idea - what is wrong with these people?

Or is there anything to suggest current bi xenon operation is any less mad?

Edited by Octy0GG

This sounds awful.

Was kind of wishing my car had xenon's but having seen this not so sure.

Somebody somewhere thought this was all a good idea - what is wrong with these people?

Or is there anything to suggest current bi xenon operation is any less mad?

They work fine for me.

I assume Hella produced AFS based on research and being very good at their jobs.  

They work fine for me.

I assume Hella produced AFS based on research and being very good at their jobs.  

'They work fine for me'  - perhaps you drive on the 'right' type of roads at the 'right speed' and in the 'right' conditions.

'I assume Hella produced AFS based on research and being very good at their jobs.'  - a dangerous assumption to make .

Still want to check though, is full beam "Motorway Mode" really only available in Auto at speeds over 68 mph?

It's either that or believe internet forums and never sleep again!

But you are commenting on an internet forum.

A lot of folk on internet forums share your view that large companies can be trusted to get everything right, newer is always better and that we need computer assistance to do anything. Are these folk not to be believed?

It would be hard to make a case for today being a time to trust car companies, diesel gate aside  it is clear that paying customers  are now the test drivers for untested new technologies

But you are commenting on an internet forum.

A lot of folk on internet forums share your view that large companies can be trusted to get everything right, newer is always better and that we need computer assistance to do anything. Are these folk not to be believed?

Someone sharing my views does not make them a more trustworthy source.

I did not intend to imply that car companies are above reproach or that newer is better. Mostly I mean that the function of the headlights is likely to be designed that way for a good reason. Which is, after all, the topic.

• 5 weeks later...

Thread resurrection - but has anyone got any closer to a resolution on this problem yet?

I have owned my May 2014 Octy VRS for about 3 months now, bought from Skoda Coventry, and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that mine is doing exactly the same as described. The adaptive headlamps were working fine, but now they've started doing this - the right hand lamp unit starts to point as far to the right as it can go. It only comes back to the centre line when I stop the car.

It's bloody annoying, and clearly not right - but what puzzles me the most is why it has only just started doing it? It was fine before!

Anyway as a workaround I now only switch the lights on to the manual mode setting on the switch, not using auto. But that's a pain because I liked the follow home feature.

If someone can give me an idea about what to do now, I would be very grateful? Or shall I just take it back to the dealer - I have a warranty?

Thanks all!

Looks like this is the coding in VCDS:

post-143076-0-50629600-1484972247_thumb.png

I think xpower mentioned having to reset the lights afterwards using basic setting -> 'basic headlamp setting' ?

Edited by mabnz