Adaptive headlights

I really don't get all the moaning.

They are working exactly like they were programmed to, whether we like the programming is another thing.

You have 2 very simple options, remembering that they are not "faulty" to any dealer - don't forget he dealer is not Skoda direct.

1) if you DO like they way they work, then they have been programmed perfectly for you. Enjoy them.

2 if you DON'T like the way they work then any dealer / independent garage / member on here with access to VCDS or similar can disable that specific section of the programming "city mode"

Simples

• Like 2

It will be under adaptions if it's there. I'll take a look later and see if I can find it, can't recall.

You can modify the speed at which the all-weather light mode comes on and off, so presumably you can do the same for the highway mode. I can't find any references to 110km/h in 09 adaptions however.

Edited by mabnz

it's 120km/h, though.....

high beam *is* available at lower speeds, and it's fine. But the Motorway mode is a more focussed light so you shouldn't need high beam. 

Cornering and auto follow function work well at 60mph / 100km/h, that's the winter limit here and it's absolutely fine, even in snow.

I would seriously consider running a basic headlamp setting if the lamps are pointing in completely the wrong direction. The indication of where the beam is is not necessarily as consistent as it should be, electronics wear over time (especially pots) and there may be some mild dirt or something somewhere on a track which means the lamp has lost all reference as to where it is.

Basic setting is what I've used a lot on my A2 for the flaps - it runs them through from top to bottom and reintialises the whole thing. Your dealer should be able to help... a little googling suggests device 55, but I don't currently have a usable VCDS or I'd test it.

- Bret

On 21/01/2017 at 10:30, xpower said:

I really don't get all the moaning.

They are working exactly like they were programmed to, whether we like the programming is another thing.

You have 2 very simple options, remembering that they are not "faulty" to any dealer - don't forget he dealer is not Skoda direct.

1) if you DO like they way they work, then they have been programmed perfectly for you. Enjoy them.

2 if you DON'T like the way they work then any dealer / independent garage / member on here with access to VCDS or similar can disable that specific section of the programming "city mode"

Simples

Well that WOULD be 'simples,' except that it's not just me who doesn't like the way that they work - it's oncoming traffic! I am regularly being flashed by cars coming the other way who are obviously being blinded and taking umbrage at my lights, thinking I am on high beam. Which, to my simple mind, is a fairly big issue which requires a resolution.

Also, I didn't mention in my last post, but this isn't happening just in 'city' mode either - it's happening on night-time A roads and dual carriageways too, when the speed of the vehicle is reaching - how can I put this - a 'threshold of enjoyment which isn't necessarily in line with acceptable practice?' :D

So I start blatting down a favourite deserted A road in the middle of the night, headlamps start to swivel as the should, which really helps with the cornering. Then suddenly, after about 20 minutes or half an hour usually, the bloody things start pointing more and more to the right, and essentially stop pointing left at all - they sort of half-heartedly drag themselves back to the centreline at best, even on hard left lock, but as soon as hard right lock is applied, they shoot hard right and stay there.

THAT, in my opinion, is surely not working how they were programmed to, no?

Edited by Ray Luxury-Yacht

I've had my vRS for about 18 months now and am used to the headlights.  It appears that, in dry conditions, if you use 'auto' lighting, they swivel to go around corners.  At slowish speeds the one on the right seems to veer towards the right in order to (I suppose) show the kerbing on that side.  It returns to the normal pointing straight at speeds above 50kph.  Sometimes when turning on right lock it does seem to take some time to return to normal.

In wet conditions (it seems to know this) all of the above happens the same but lights don't come back to normal until speeds are higher (about 80kph).

Occasionally in fog, the one on the right (on full beam) does appear to be pointing towards an alien invasion. 

At first, all of this really annoyed me and the only way to stop it happening is to not use the 'auto' lights.  If you turn the lights on manually, they don't move at all and you're driving a 'normal' car so the problem is solved!!!  To be honest, I'm used to the weirdness of the lights and find them quite amusing now.  Most of the time, they do what I would want them to do.

I'm loving the car anyway...drove it to the west coast of Spain and back in 10 days and didn't ache or get bored once.

Edited by Stalled
spelling

drove back down a bunch of "A" roads - two or three lane blacktop - for several hours last night and the Auto highbeam was engaged. Awesome. The lights moving around the corners at 50mph / 80kph was great, just what I needed. The only time I've now found the movement to be annoying is on snow where you need to be showing ahead and not necessarily where the wheel is pointing.

- Bret

• 2 months later...

So I've just tried this and now I get a code ("error: cornering light (AFS)" with the MIL on

I tried to disable 'all weather light' using the long coding helper from 03DE00003F010000 to 03DE00001F010000 in 55.

I've tried 'accept basic settings' and 'basic headlamp setting' but neither seem to fix it. 

@xpower Please help!