SKODA VisionC - A new design study

ColinD

• Administrators

The Geneva Motor Show has a great history of manufacturers producing concept cars to wow the audience. This year is no different and Skoda have released this, the Vision C Design Concept. This design; a 5 door coupe, will be presented at the show by Lac Leman.

post-6-0-16004400-1391602319_thumb.jpg

Not only is this a cracking design, it also represents the evolution of Skoda's development and design language. 

These new designs, a part of a broadening range, stand to enhance the emotional stirrings we saw on the latest Octavia. This design is a five door coupé could be seen to herald from the Tudor coupe design. That of course ended up as the A5, we and Skoda missed out.

Perhaps this is the next one and we won't miss out.

It's clear that ŠKODA’s design is becoming more expressive, dynamic and emotional. What do you think of this design?

• Like 3

Well they cannot call it the Tudor as it has five.

Estelle might be too much. My vote would be the Popular... most similarity imho, but not the most affordable of the range, that I doubt... but happy to be wrong!

None of the above.

Think something already in use ;)

None of the above.

Think something already in use ;)

Don't think it'll be called a Roomster - think I might have difficulty dragging my carcass out of this one :)

Stunning design

• Like 2

Well they cannot call it the Tudor as it has five.

Estelle might be too much. My vote would be the Popular... most similarity imho, but not the most affordable of the range, that I doubt... but happy to be wrong!

That Tudor looked gorgeous. Shame Audi stole it IMO :(

It looks very promising. 

If only we'd of had the Tudor, I think Skoda would have been at the position it is in at the moment a few years ahead. Audi must of had the idea of the A5 in the pipeline around then too.

Looking forward to seeing the Vision C :) 

They've done it before! 

Skoda_935_lg.jpg

Skoda-Studie-Octavia-Coup-Tudor-729x486-

2002_skoda_tudor_concept_03-1217.jpg

• Like 2

Since the other design morphed into the A5 and the Joyster was toned down to become the current Sirroco (or was that just another coincidence?) I would say that, lovely as it is..........they will not allow Skoda to go in any other direction than sensible with a sporty edge aka the last decade or so. I'd really love to be proved wrong though!

the Joyster was toned down to become the current Sirroco (or was that just another coincidence?)

Same designer :)

Skoda have talked about moving the styling on another step this year to be more 'emotional' so the Fabia 3 and Superb 3 should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Mladá Boleslav, 27 February 2014 – As a part of the most comprehensive model campaign in the brand’s history, ŠKODA is renewing and expanding its model range. The design language of the dynamic and elegant five-door coupé ‘ŠKODA VisionC’ introduces the next evolutionary step in ŠKODA design: The design is becoming more expressive, dynamic and emotional and underpins the dawn of the brand. At the same time the five-door Coupé concept demonstrates the possibilities in innovative and emotional chassis design.

?For more than 100 years, ŠKODA has been manufacturing cars with high demands on design. ŠKODA is once again emphasising the traditional brand’s expertise in design and engineering through the ‘ŠKODA VisionC’ design concept. 

"We are signalling the next stage in the evolution of ŠKODA's design language with ‘ŠKODA VisionC’, and thus highlighting the dawn of the brand.  The vehicle demonstrates the company's outstanding design and engineering expertise, and underpins the dynamism and value of one of the world's longest-established automotive companies." says Prof. Dr. h.c. Windried Vahland, ŠKODA CEO.

As a five-door Coupé, the ‘ŠKODA VisionC’ features a new expressive, dynamic and emotional design language. The interplay of soft, slightly contoured, concave and convex surfaces, as well as sharp, precise lines creates an immediate impact. The surfaces and proportions demonstrate clear arrangement and a striking interaction of light and shadow. The front has an air of confidence and energy, and the tailgate adds an element of surprise, accentuated with a radical conclusion.

In addition to its creative ambition, the ‘ŠKODA VisionC’ impressively demonstrates the ŠKODA engineers’ concept of ingenuity; design, engineering, space, functionality and the emotional coupé shape combine in compelling unity. The ‘ŠKODA VisionC’ provides plenty of room for four people and their luggage.

The large boot and excellent loading capacity are characteristic of ŠKODA. Modern MQB technology, approaching series-produced drive systems, low weight and optimized aerodynamics also demonstrate the high potential of responsible individual mobility. 

Under the bonnet, we find a CNG/petrol bivalent 1.4 TSI/81 kW turbo engine. On natural gas, the vehicle consumes a mere 3.4 kg or 5.1 m3 CNG per 100 kilometre, equating to CO2 emissions of only 91 g/km. ŠKODA has made a huge leap in demonstrating that even attractive mid-class vehicles can meet the stringent EU2020 CO2 emissions standard with today’s conventional drive technology.

• Like 1

Still prefer the Tudor. Also, I like the C style rear lights on Skodas. Looks like they've lost them on that.

Tend to agree on both fronts although I think this one, or something very much like it, is more likely to make production than the Tudor.

Looking forward to seeing images of the real thing in the metal though.

• Like 1

Ah...  so the rumour has always been that the next Superb will be something different and therefore a lot of people thought it will become an SUV - the Snowman.

BUT the current rumour is that this Vision C is in fact the new "different" Superb.  Makes total sense all of a sudden:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/03/geneva-2014-skoda-visionc-is-no-octavia-cc-its-the-new-superb/

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Skoda grapevine all the running gear & the floor pan is available from existing models, I'd be seriously interested in the NDG engined model, poor old GEO must be getting worried about all the loss of road fund fees & the loss of fuel/VAT duties though.

Lets hope it comes to fruition, it looks a likely replacement for the Octavia around 2017.

Edited by IdioSyncrasy