Citroen Cactus

Dr Zoidberg

Unless I'm mistaken most on here spent time complaining about the QQ and other crossovers that "they all look the same".  And here there's something different and people are ridiculing it and turning up their collective noses.

Ah, that's only a good thing when it's a Yeti ;)

• Like 1

I like unusual and this is. The interior is a bit too brown as shown for my taste. Unusual can be fugly, Ssanyong Rodius for example but this has a utilitarian style which appeals to me. Such a shame it is a Citroen as their quality and finish doesn't appeal at all. Lightness is a rare virtue but the engine range is more economy based than tempting for my use.

Looks like this was designed to be a "minimised" Golf-class. More a Rapid / low-end Octavia competitor. Unless it counts as "unique" like the Yeti (esp Mk1 pre-FL). 

Like: focus on lower weight / simplicity

Dislike: will small engines really work? Downrated chassis a good idea regarding payload / rough roads etc? External panels vs drag? Hinged rear windows?

If its priced like a Dacia (or Rapid?) it might do well (and it should, as manufactured Kg is a good guideline to manufacturer's cost). If its Golf/Focus/Octavia-priced I'm not so sure. 

Plastic panels to reduce the chance of car park dents.

Different I suppose.

Not to my liking but credit to Citroen for being bold enough to put into production with some innovative features.

What's wrong with the interior?

As JCP mentions - too much brown for my liking.

The (pop out/up?) HUD looks nice. Don't get the side cladding, yes some form of protective strip but they're too 'in your face' for my liking, as is always mentioned with these threads, each to their.

As JCP mentions - too much brown for my liking.

The (pop out/up?) HUD looks nice. Don't get the side cladding, yes some form of protective strip but they're too 'in your face' for my liking, as is always mentioned with these threads, each to their.

I assume that the brown is to colour coordinate with the brown exterior so you'll get a choice. Will be very interesting to see the prices.

Dislike: will small engines really work? 

Wasn't this the concern with the 1.2TSI Yeti - can such a small engine really pull such a heavy, aerodynamically inefficient shape? But I can't recall a post on this web-site where owners have felt it to be a problem and plenty of us have the 1.2 engine; in fact quite the opposite, a lot of people seem surprised at how willing it is once they test drive it. It's not an engine that's going to suit everyone but if it's very fuel efficient I can see, once past the shock of the styling, it could suit a lot of people's requirements. But I have to admit I won't be queuing to buy one - the quirkiness of the classic Yeti was part of its appeal to me but this goes a step too far.

• Like 1

The seats immediately reminded me of my Renault 16.  Cracking car...comfortable and roomy.

But did develop a rust based crack which seemed to threaten separating the front half of the car from the back half.  I scrapped it direct to a scrap merchant....but then saw it back on the road, so the gent must have diligently repaired the car to professional standards in order to get the car back to a lawful and legitimate roadworthy condition. :wonder:

• Like 1

Austin Allegro?

Exactly what I though when I saw those photo's, I thought they were a send up. Brings back happy memories of 1970's driving and those slippery plastic seats

• Like 1

It's good that one European manufacturer thinks out of the box and has gone back to what it did best, build different to the norm. i.e DS, SM, 2CV etc. Didn't the early Freelander have some sort of plastic tubular side moulding option that made it look like it had crashed into a plumbers merchants?

Exactly what I though when I saw those photo's, I thought they were a send up. Brings back happy memories of 1970's driving and those slippery plastic seats

Plastic seats are now call imitation leather, and VW charged me £475 to include them on my wife's VW up. They looked good in the brochure but were horrible in reality. In the summer they were unbearable and we had to put towels on the seats to stop backsides getting sunburn.

Triffic.  Great proportions AND it comes with a bar of chocolate on either side for when you're stuck in traffic jams.

It'll appeal to the upwardly thrusting, to housewives who crave cadbury's, and demented OAPs moving over from da Yeti.

I'm sorry but someone has to say it and looks like it's going to be me. Do you think you would feel a pr**k driving a cactus?

Hmmm,

Did someone who drives a car called a "Yeti" really say this!?

• Like 2

There has been a lot of criticism recently about Skoda moving away from their bold and brave styling (Yeti MkI to Yeti FL for example) over to the typical bland European copy cat designs. 

I for one congratulate Citroen for being brave and doing something different. I like the Cactus.

I also like the DS4.

Would I buy a Citroen with my own hard-earned? No, not yet, but if they keep churning out cars that aren't following the herd then watch this space!

• Like 2