Citroen Cactus

Dr Zoidberg

FUGLY!!!!!!!

It looks like it's been driven off Beachy Head and hit EVERY ugly rock on the way down.      :sick:

Also looks like a car where someone has replaced a panel but of a different colour to the rest of the car..........................and also looks like they've stuck egg boxes onto the door skins   :giggle:

Oh, it also comes with one of THESE..................

12394234853_1ded418db6_o.jpg

:D

• Like 1

Yes, I drive one of Skoda's ugliest cars, but I ain't the one throwing stones in glass houses :whew:

I was in no way being derogatory about the Citroen, in fact I think it ain't that bad really. I feel I should explain my subtle/weak joke. A cactus is a spiky thing and if one touches it there is a danger one could get............see what I did there! Anyway, before this turns into a my car is uglier than yours spat I think the twindoor is a fine looking car and you really shouldn't beat yourself up about it. Hugs all round and have a great day :-)

• Like 2

I think this is a smashing car. As said above with everyone moaning about the QQ et al looking exactly the same why moan when something fresh does come out? Furthermore this car is 95% the same as the concept which is a breath of fresh air in a world where companies (Subaru I'm pointing at you) make gorgeous concept cars and then release the blandest most boring production car imaginable...

I LOVE this Citroën. And parked next to a Juke the quirkiness of this thing is really mild. It's going to sell like hotcakes (I hope). But a few things jar, but trust me they are very minor to be honest:

• The base of the A-pillar behind the mirror is a mess (click on the pics they are huge to show the detail)

Citrone-C4-Cactus-door-open.jpg

• The top of the windscreen does not line up with the floating roof or top of the side glass
  • The top of the doors cut into the floating roof since Citroën is incapable of just looking at any VAG car to see how to do rubber seals around a door without making a frame around the door glass at the top 

Citrone-C4-Cactus-front-side.jpg

• The sunroof can't open nor does it have a sunblind

Citrone-C4-Cactus-top-view.jpg

• The rear seat is a one piece fixed affair.
  • The rear windows can't wind down - it has pop out windows!

Citroen_Cactus_presentation%20(20).jpg

So I think Citroën took the weight saving a tiny bit too far.  Most of the above are due to that and them being hell bent on getting the car to weigh less than a ton (in base spec) and having micro engines. Give me an openable sunroof, a sunroof blind, removeable and split rear seats, a 170hp engine with a proper DSG auto and 4x4 running gear and I'll sign on the dotted line for one today. But as is, it will be a micro-car with micro engines for people that don't load their cars with much gear or ever tow anything that weighs more than 500kg and live somewhere where the sun doesn't shine and cars don't get hot inside.

Some more pics.  The front bench looks less so when it is slid apart:

Citroen_Cactus_presentation%20(24).jpg

And look at the weird gear selector!

Citroen_Cactus_presentation%20(18).jpg

All in all I love this car. As a second car to a Yeti (which makes no sense and will never happen, I know!) I'd love one. Finally a proper Citroën.

• Like 2

Why is there a mattress on the side of the doors? Is this a subtle attempt to score better in the NCAP tests?

More likely an attempt to avoid people feeling the need to do this sort of thing.

Finally a proper Citroën.

Agree 100%.  Good on them for having the (er, what's French for "cojones"?) to bring to market something different, a bit daring, and in tune with the brand's heritage.  Kudos to the Cactus!

Edited by ejstubbs

My pal works for Citroen Pug. and is just back from an awards ceremony in Paris and he's raving about the car. They apparently had a few of them in the factory or somewhere for viewing. he tells me some of the design features are fantastic, and he loves the bits on the doors, according to him they are a moulded plastic that is coloured right through to prevent showing scrapes and can be changed for other colours if so desired.

This from someone who drives a Defender, on his 3rd 911 and just sold his Gallardo.

I like it also, Citroën have an individual design approach with character. I can't complain about the reliability or paintwork either of my last one over a ten year period. They also managed to have folding removable rear seats like the Yeti that used a built in locking device instead of silly straps.

Edited by jeep

• 1 year later...

I saw one of these yesterday, parked across the road from the office.  I don't think it's nearly as ugly as some folks on here seem to believe, but from side on it did look rather like one of those big Minis (Countryman? Clubman?) with a rather embarrassing skin complaint...

I tend to agree with those who give kudos to Citroen for making something quirky, different and characterful.

• Like 1

When we were thinking of buying a new car, in October last year, we looked at the Yeti, and a Citroen C4 picasso, but also noticed one of these...

We were actually tempted, but it goes against the grain as I always said I would never buy a new model of a car again.

No proven history, expensive dealer only, replacement parts etc.

Now... the side panels are clipped in, and you can buy a replacement set quite cheaply in different colours too, so a bit like your iphone cover.

What made this a show stopper for us, was the fact that the rear seat was a bench seat, so no 40/60 split.

The key selling point to this car is the fuel economy, so all weight where possible was reduced, so this meant that it was impossible to incorporate a split rear seat without increasing the strength of the rear floor and of course increasing the weight.

It would be a great second car though, or when commuting long distances, but without too many DIY projects or outdoor activities in mind.

A la frog, lots around me, just 2 or 3 Yetii proving Gallic tastes are patriotic?

They do look reasonably well put together and quirky, i'll stick to my yeti though, as above too many of 'em about here!!

When we were thinking of buying a new car, in October last year, we looked at the Yeti, and a Citroen C4 picasso, but also noticed one of these...

We were actually tempted, but it goes against the grain as I always said I would never buy a new model of a car again.

No proven history, expensive dealer only, replacement parts etc.

Now... the side panels are clipped in, and you can buy a replacement set quite cheaply in different colours too, so a bit like your iphone cover.

What made this a show stopper for us, was the fact that the rear seat was a bench seat, so no 40/60 split.

The key selling point to this car is the fuel economy, so all weight where possible was reduced, so this meant that it was impossible to incorporate a split rear seat without increasing the strength of the rear floor and of course increasing the weight.

It would be a great second car though, or when commuting long distances, but without too many DIY projects or outdoor activities in mind.

In my book book they took the weight saving a few steps too far. This car needs proper wind down rear windows, proper sliding and tumbling rear seats and a roller blind for the sunroof (I think they refused to install that as well due to weight). Adding all of that will add what, 3mpg to the car's consumption?  Which over a year (@12,000 per annum in a diesel @ say £1,30 a litre average - it's bound to go up again at some point) is about £3,50 a month. That will be even less at the current fuel prices.  I mean honestly. They are alienating potential customers here (like you) for a measly £3.50 a month.

• 8 months later...

Ok, so found it

Looking at a Peugeot 2008 Outdoor diesel manual tomorrow and was just wondering about the Cactus.

Unfortunately it looks like a candidate for facial pimples with all that frontal paint

• Like 1

Ok, so found it

Looking at a Peugeot 2008 Outdoor diesel manual tomorrow and was just wondering about the Cactus.

Unfortunately it looks like a candidate for facial pimples with all that frontal paint

SWMBO has a 2008 92bhp diesel manual. We bought it for that extra bit of height and we have a first class Puggy dealer nearby. It's nearly two years old and never skipped a beat... Average 65mpg in town and we get 74 going from Durham to Perth (Scotland, not Australia). It's a very good reasonably priced car...... Enjoy your test drive

Yes,

The PureTech family of 3-cylinder engines cut fuel consumption and CO2emissions by around 18% compared with previous generation engines (from just 99g/km), with no trade-off in performance. These engines use cutting-edge technology and are both responsive and fuel-efficient.

I wonder when their name will pop up

Ok, so found it

We were having a sensible conversation last night about the Cactus...and it was closed

Here is the Thread that wasn't merged;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/379301-citroen-cactus/

We were having a sensible conversation last night about the Cactus...and it was closed

Here is the Thread that wasn't merged;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/379301-citroen-cactus/

The mods have come over all scaredy cats.

Re power differences twix countries, I was referring to the bread n butter big sellers in general.