Latest Skoda offer on Fabia S - any good

A 1.2 naturally aspirated old engine with 60 PS in a car weighing over a tonne?

For me, no.

Plus being an old engine it's got worse fuel economy and higher exhaust emissions than the superior 1.2tsi.

If it's just to pop to the shops and bingo it might be fine.

Otherwise I think it'll get frustrating quite quickly.

Personally, I'd buy something used for the same money and get a far better car, with better trim and options with better running costs.

It takes nearly 17 seconds to get to 62mph ! :wonder:

A 1.2 naturally aspirated old engine with 60 PS in a car weighing over a tonne?

For me, no.

Plus being an old engine it's got worse fuel economy and higher exhaust emissions than the superior 1.2tsi.

If it's just to pop to the shops and bingo it might be fine.

Otherwise I think it'll get frustrating quite quickly.

Personally, I'd buy something used for the same money and get a far better car, with better trim and options with better running costs.

It takes nearly 17 seconds to get to 62mph ! :wonder:

Thanks for this - just as I thought- obviously not something to run with the lorries on the M1!!!!!!!

My mate had the the three-pot in his 9n Polo - I remember hitting a hill on the way home from Stranraer - it felt like we were barely moving. It does make a characterful sound though.

As BF says though, fine if you're just running about town.

Could not find that deal.

There is the 1.2 htp 70 hp se version for 9k and the tsi 1.2 estate at 10k I estate form.

is there another deal I have missed?

The ŠKODA Fabia offer

We have two great offers currently available on the ŠKODA Fabia:

You can now get your hands on a brand new ŠKODA Fabia Hatch SE 1.2 12V 69PS model for just £8,995 OTR.

You can also get a brand new ŠKODA Fabia Estate SE 1.2 TSI 86PS model for just £9,995 OTR.

Both models come with specification including: 15" 'Rotare' alloy wheels, manual air conditioning, a category 1 alarm with tilt sensor, additional rear speakers, metallic paint and a temporary spare steel wheel.

Both models are available in Brilliant Silver metallic and Denim Blue metallic paint only, but you will have to hurry as we only have limited stocks available.

Just when you thought these offers couldn't get any better, we are also offering 7.9% APR representative† when purchased through ŠKODA Finance.

For more information please contact your local ŠKODA retailer.

3 BIG REASONS to buy a ŠKODA Fabia
  • Great monthly payments from £109*
  • 0% APR representative
  • Optional 3 years’ servicing, maintenance and tyres**

Solutions from ŠKODA Finance

Solutions is designed around both you and your budget, working to your preferred repayments over an agreed term.

Whether you can afford to put down a large deposit or would prefer to pay something smaller up-front, we have a range of finance packages available to you – making it even easier to get your hands on a brand new ŠKODA Fabia.

Here is an example of how putting down a larger deposit can achieve small and manageable monthly payments from just £109*:

?
Model name Monthly payment Customer deposit Fabia Hatch S 1.2 12V 60PS £109  customer deposit £2,922.40
Contact your local ŠKODA retailer for more information.

I'd definitely pay the extra grand for the 1.2 TSi - 86ps is the minimum you need to punt the Fabia around - it ain't no featherweight.

Got to agree with Brian 69, I've got the 105hp TSI and although the 86hp is slightly less power than mine, it's definitely worth the extra cash.

Better engine and better spec plus more space for 1k more, it would be a no brainer.

• Like 1

Its not as bad as people make out. Iv got the 1.2 12v 70ps and im by no means flooring it everywhere. I live in derbyshire which is a very hilly area, and its not too bad. Its got enough poke for some simple overtakes. I never rev it above 5k either.

If you want to get thrills from acceleration youll need something else (i get my thrills elsewhere) but its really not that bad. Especially if its just me on my own.

Its cruising nicely at 3000rpm at 70mph and 3500rpm at 80mph.

It is an old engine yes, but the benefit of this is we know its had any little niggles ironed out and we know what kind of mileage and reliability to expect (more than we can say for the vrs im sure we can all agree).

Iv driven a 105 1.2 tsi too, and its a crackin engine. Pulls well from low revs and is a joy to drive. But its £1700 (i think).

It all depends what you want from the car. As i said, i get my speed kicks elsewhere so im happy pottering around in the little htp and planning my overtakes a little more.

Its by no means a frustrating, i dont find. Not unless your after a fast drive with a full 5 on board. Because that wont happen unless everywheres downhill haha

It all boils down to what they're driving now, if they're not bothered about the lack of power and performance then go for it but there's better deals to be had with better engines and spec for not much more money if it's a Fabia that they're after.

I tried both, dealer brought the saloon to our house but did not come with us for a test drive. This we surmised was to limit the weight the car had to move. The estate is so much better for the extra cash, I bought it and so far it's great.

Test drive both if possible, it's chalk and cheese. Just need to talk your mate into an estate then try to get one.

• Like 1

Personally think the Tsi engine a much better choice but why not consider a Fabia Reaction with the 69 engine - seems to be plenty 63 plate pre- reg reactions available on the Skoda website at 8,700 or even less - quite a funky looking car and cracking value on these pre-reg deals.

Am I the only one with a 60 that shifts, alright, not so much up hill but is shifts.

I think that depends how you define "shifts".

Skoda claim a 0-62mph time of 16.5 seconds.

Personally anthing 8-12 seconds I call normal.

I guess it depends what you are used to?

I think that depends how you define "shifts".

Skoda claim a 0-62mph time of 16.5 seconds.

Personally anthing 8-12 seconds I call normal.

I guess it depends what you are used to?

Thanks to boss and others? this sums it up for me. - 0-62 in the time he quotes.If you're driving on the A1 with the lorries on the inside all the time you'd get frustrated. my mate does do some long journeys.

worried also about comparisons !!! I' m about to get a BMW 335D with 0-62 in 4.8 seconds for a saloon! If he travels with me then gets in his 60 PS Fabia he might feel the comparison badly!

Edited by Tom Tallon

Not tried the 60bhp 1.2 but my brother has my old 1.2 70bhp engine and I've got 1.2 tsi 105. The 70bhp is fine no ball of fire but revs very freely much more so than the tsi and in first and second gears is quite nippy will cruise on motorway fine but anything above 60 65mph and the mpg drops off a lot. the Tsi is better for long runs and will get a few more mpg. Best thing to do is to test drive both and see how you get on. Yeah there will be no comparison to the 335d lol you have to take it for what it is. 

60 hp HTP is OK as a short distance car but particularly in the S format the seats are very basic.

Got the HTP to an indicated 100 mph and it feels quicker than 16 seconds to 60 mph.

If you have had a 850 mini in the past with 32 hp you will know what low power is but even then you could still get places quite quick, you be near deaf at the end of the journey of course.

Shame they never gave it a sixth gear, got the CO2 under 120 grams/km as it owuld have been even better than the pretty good car it already is.

At least you have no worries about turbos blowing up (or superchargers as well as in our Fabia).

• Like 2

60 hp HTP is OK as a short distance car but particularly in the S format the seats are very basic.

Shame they never gave it a sixth gear, got the CO2 under 120 grams/km as it owuld have been even better than the pretty good car it already is.

Iv often thought my se 70hp would be better with thenpre facelift gear ratios (slightly lower) with a 6th gear stuck on the end to get the 70mph 3000rpm ratio that the 2010 onward engine has.

I guess that would cost more to make though

Iv often thought my se 70hp would be better with thenpre facelift gear ratios (slightly lower) with a 6th gear stuck on the end to get the 70mph 3000rpm ratio that the 2010 onward engine has.

I guess that would cost more to make though

Since getting it under 120 grams woudl have resulted it in being £90 car tax as I understand then they could have charged £50 or so more on the transfer price from Skoda Auto to SUK and everyone in the chain would have been happy except the UK Gov which would have last heaps of money over the years of plus less CO2 which would save the planet.

All EU manufacturers are suppose to their cars under 120 g/km CO2 or be fined.