Latest Skoda offer on Fabia S - any good

A fuel (and hence CO2) saving will be made with lower RPM at equal power output because there is less frictional loss, but more so for petrol engines because the engine will be operating at a wider throttle and hence higher compression.

So is the co2 taken over some sort of average?

I understand how its produced, and the less fuel less co2 bit. But i dont get how gear ratios are related.

What do they do while testing it? Drive it through a series of scenarios and take the average?

Im finding it difficult to explain myself. But what im kinda trying to say is that co2 obviously comes from the engine, and gear ratios merely change the engine speed to the wheel speed.

Ahh! Now it makes sense :).

Im not a fan of stop start though. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Cheers :)

It's no bad idea, it works. My wife's Fiat 500 has it and it was strange at first but when you get used to it, it makes sense.

Watch you MPG drop when your stopped at lights or a junction with the engine just ticking over, with the stop/start working this doesn't happen which means you get more MPG and more importantly, to the Govt anyway, less CO2 emissions.

The engine fires up instantly as soon as you touch the clutch, you're gonna have to start liking it coz every car eventually will do it anyway.

Yeah iv driven a fiesta with it before.

Its more the fact of engine temps that gets me thinking. Iv always thought it good to go for a decent run and get the engine oil up to a decent temp.

I cant see how stopping the engine as soon as you stop can help that haha. Plus the added stress on starter motor and battery in stop start traffic.

Maybe im just over thinking it haha.

Start-stop engines have different starter motors, much bigger brushes for example, and battery charge monitoring so they won't stop if there isn't enough juice to get going again. At least that's the theory, I know of problems with that part of the system in Fiat's Punto for example.

I've got a friend who is taken with the idea of the latest offer of a deal on the basic Fabia S 1.2.

I see its got 60 PS - he's by no means a big engine buff but will this amount of horsepower suffice.

I think this model is ideally suited to the family looking for a second car for local running around or as a first car for someone who has just passed their driving test (assuming very low insurance category?).

Insurance should be good yeah. Im 21, no years no claims (only had bike insurance in my name before), licence for 3 years. 13 plate fabia se htp 70 for £680.

Not bad when for some reason a 2005 polo with the same engine costs £1500. Figure that one out haha.