Audi S1 BRIEF REVIEW in Autocar and Autoexpress today.

vrskeith

Audi introducing the S1, so if they feel that there is room for a hot small hatch where does that leave Skoda  Fabia?

Out in the cold, regarding VAG hot bits??

Come on CEO Skoda get your ass in gear!!

• Like 1

There is room for a £25k hot hatch with 250bhp and four wheel drive wearing a premium badge.

I'm not so sure a Fabia would sell enough to make it viable, as it'd have to be significantly cheaper with a Skoda badge on it.

IMO of course. :)

• Like 2

It's the way of the world - Clio Sport (flappy paddle only), VAG products, etc.

Small engines, approx 200bhp, auto/dual clutch boxes.  It meets power requirements, emissions etc.

Doesn't matter to the die hard performance fans that they want MORE power and a MANUAL box.  You get what they reckon they can market.

Is the S1 Manual?  It might have something to do with the amount of power and the "quattro" drivetrain.

The Clio is not Flappy Paddle only,

it is Semi Automatic and the choice is there to change gear with the Gear Stick or Paddles.

Just no clutch for your left foot.

There are Flappy Paddle only Gearboxes, or push Button Changes, and they are a PITA.

I had a Ford Durashift Transit, just Buttons on the Steering Wheel or on the Dash to do manual changes.

& i have driven a Fiat Abarth that was only Button Change or by the Flappy Paddles.

It's the way of the world - Clio Sport (flappy paddle only), VAG products, etc.

Small engines, approx 200bhp, auto/dual clutch boxes. It meets power requirements, emissions etc.

Doesn't matter to the die hard performance fans that they want MORE power and a MANUAL box. You get what they reckon they can market.

Is the S1 Manual? It might have something to do with the amount of power and the "quattro" drivetrain.

6sp manual :)

George - I meant it is a flappy paddle box (as in not manual).

Regardless of having a "manual" function, auto/dual-clutch boxes are not manuals, so are bad.  If you believe what the auto-press say.  But then in the next article, they'll sing the praises of DSG-esque stuff.

Well not all Automatics or Semi Automatics have Paddles, like the Mk3 Cooper S Automatic i drove last week,

they were an Extra Cost Option.

Considering how many Performance Manual Gearbox cars there are available, loads, available all over ,

for Die Hard Performance Drivers how want More power & a Manual box,

But it never fails to surprise that many choose a 103.6 BHP diesel manual.

I'd certainly have paid more for my Monte Tech if I could have had it with a 2.0TDI and 6 speed man box, this has been available in the Ibiza for some time so come on Skoda how about it for the Fabia3 ?

The Fabia Mk3 will have engines to meet Euro 6 Emissions, in a lighter and more efficient car surely.

They sell Seats, VW, & Audis already with the Old Tech Euro 5's that was not much better than the old Tech from the Euro 4 cars,

worse actually.

Surely these are getting Modernised when they get replaced as more Modern cars.

The Dirty Diesels are surely going to be small efficient engines in a Light car with a Mk3 Fabia one would hope.

That's interesting isn't it and not the first time it's been asked.

Is there a technical reason why the 2.0 TDI unit isn't in the Fabia (like it doesn't fit) and why the 1.6 doesn't get a 6 spd (because it could use it)?

Or is it just VAG rationing the best drivechain combinations?

Yes, that is exactly what they were doing, and always have..   

The Fabia sells almost half of all Skodas sold on the UK.  

Do you think VAG would want them selling more than half.?

Low cost cars, with low profit margins probably in the UK

VW sell so much more than Skoda or Seat when it comes to the UK or World Wide.

It is how the Volkswagen Audi Group do things,  however they like to.

That's interesting isn't it and not the first time it's been asked.

Is there a technical reason why the 2.0 TDI unit isn't in the Fabia (like it doesn't fit) and why the 1.6 doesn't get a 6 spd (because it could use it)?

Or is it just VAG rationing the best drivechain combinations?

6speeds and another 30 or so lbs of torque would transform the vehicle in my opinion. I suppose the latter can be fixed with a remap or tuning box.

So it's official- S1 228 bhp,6 spd manual box in UK mated to 4 wheel drive. £25000. 3 and 5 options etc.

Skoda could revert to type i.e as Fabia vRS MK1, MK 3 WITH A 184 bhp diesel ,mated to 6 spd box without the 4W option at this stage(not competing with Audi or Golf)  with 5 doors at say estimated £ 21k.

Good competition with BMW Mini etc.

Now that would be fun and would "fly" out of the showroom, in my opinion,good torquey fun and economical

VW and Audi hardly care about flying out of the showrooms, they have sold hardly any A1 185 ps, that cost near £25,000 with any spec.

They say orders will be getting taken on these S1, 

lets see if it was like when you went to try and buy a A1 185 ps when the order books opened.

Dealers did not want to take an order on Basic Spec,

looked down their noses at you trying to spec one to £22.000 and not want the Sports Suspension,

just the no cost Comfy UK type suspension, and the standard wheels,

then wanted a Deposit without any actual Build date,

They give you the stories of the Traffic Light Order System, and then months later still no date.

This S1 might well be a real bargain if you can actually go and purchase one.

An Investment even possibly.

A keeper worth scraping the money together to buy.

Or if they get some Registered as Demonstrators to bring people into the showrooms,

& sell in enough big numbers, so no shortage,

will they be as bad depreciating as the low number of Polo Gti and Audi A1 185ps that VAG did sell in the UK.

• Like 1

I can't help thinking at 25k it's priced abit too close to the S3. With the discounts available you can get a manual S3 for about 28k at the moment. So for an extra 3k you get a bigger, faster, more practical car - and as a bonus you can actually fit humans on the back seat lol! That's where my money would go tbh.

I can't help thinking at 25k it's priced abit too close to the S3. With the discounts available you can get a manual S3 for about 28k at the moment. So for an extra 3k you get a bigger, faster, more practical car - and as a bonus you can actually fit humans on the back seat lol! That's where my money would go tbh.[/quote

Agreed.Son in law is about to order a new S3 to replace his 5 year old one and I can't see this S1 being any interest to him at all.

I can't help thinking at 25k it's priced abit too close to the S3. With the discounts available you can get a manual S3 for about 28k at the moment. So for an extra 3k you get a bigger, faster, more practical car - and as a bonus you can actually fit humans on the back seat lol! That's where my money would go tbh.

TBF they are quoting a list price at £25k, so you need to compare list price of the S3 which is £31,260.

There is enough of a gap there to persuade some people to buy the cheaper option.

I'm sure the same discounts will soon be made available on the S1, especially if they don't sell :)

Personally I quite like it. I had an A1 last weekend & found it quite a fun car to drive (1.4 TFSI).

It's also the halo effect it brings to the A1 range.

Some people will go in to look at it and end up buying something else, or spending the extra for an S3 when they see a PCP option.

Maybe even people that hadn't considered an S3 before.

This is where (to me) Audi excel.

They do a wildly diverse range of products (OK, yes they all look the same) from the R8, All Roads, RS and S cars down to humdrum base cars that people just buy for the badge.

It's all about getting people into showrooms.

Show them great finance deals, PCPs and how "affordable" a supposedly flash car is.

Prove you are a success, care what others think and sign up today.  You too can have an Audi on your drive with the same engine as a £12k Skoda... or something far more interesting but expensive.

Personally I like the look of the S1 and the idea of fitting a decent engine and transmission in the smallest car you can.

You will be able to get 5-10% off.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what sort of residuals/mgfv are offered on the S1. Audi give very high mgfv for the S3 so the S1 will need to follow suit otherwise at the moment an S3 may actually have lower monthly payments on PCP.

I can't see there being much discount on the S1 at launch tbh. I'd imagine the discounts will come to a similar level currently obtainable on the S3 over time.

Would be keen to take one out for a blast when demos are available. They might be more fun than an S3. I had an S3 demo for a morning a few weeks back and was quite impressed with its ability. In some ways it left me a little cold though. M135i definitely edges it for pace/fun/value at the moment.

They might be more fun than an S3. I had an S3 demo for a morning a few weeks back and was quite impressed with its ability. In some ways it left me a little cold though. M135i definitely edges it for pace/fun/value at the moment.

Most of them do that.

That's just how S Audis are IMO.

They are impressive on paper, but designed and engineered to be driven quick by people with no skill what so ever.

So they don't place too much demand on the driver to perform and become involved.

The BMW is a far more involving drive.

• Like 1