Audi S1 BRIEF REVIEW in Autocar and Autoexpress today.

vrskeith

I'd rather have a Polo R - identical spec, surely a bit cheaper, looks better.

I'd be surprised if Skoda do a Fabia based on this platform, the boss man recently pretty much wrote off the Fabia VRS citing the popularity of the Monte Carlo, people want the looks but not necessarily the performance in this sector. It would also eclipse the Octavia VRS as the VRS brand flagship, which I can't see happening.

They would not do a Fabia based on that platform due to the Mk3 about to have a newer platform.

Mk2 Production is about to stop.

We need to forget this Monte Carlo Popularity as Skoda say and go by what they actually sell.

The Monte Carlos were priced too high and have not been selling.

Now Monte Carlo Techs & Monte Carlo Tech Estates are selling.   Nice cars, UK type Prices.

So a MK3 Fabia Estate, with AWD & choice of gearboxes with 150-190 ps.

That is something that VW or Audii are not offering, but that will probably get given to SEAT to sell rather than Skoda.

But fingers crossed,

SEAT have enough with more power than Skoda do. & a choice Estates with a choice of Engines/outputs and boxes.

The Polo R WRC Edition 217 bhp, Front Wheel Drive, & currently available is Left Hand Drive only i believe,

and the New Polo AWD is not being built until 2015

• 3 weeks later...

Who the hell is going to buy that? I like the look of it, I like the power of it but who is the target group? Rich kids I guess.

Cooper S buyers maybe? They certainly don't care one bit if they can't even get their and their girlfriend's luggage to the airport, that I know for sure.  :giggle:

As you say, I like it but I wouldn't buy it.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Looks good.

£25k base price looks fine too, but I have concerns over the options and what will be standard.

Big question is what's it going to drive like.

I don't want a manual gearbox for a 3 hour crawl on the M4 at 2 mph.  DSG is the best thing since sliced bread.

Tony

Not everyone wants the same thing so they just aim it at a certain market.

I doubt S cars are designed primarily for a 3 hour crawl at 2mph.

If it was DSG, I wouldn't give it a second look.

• Like 1

This shows it as on 215/40 R 17's as Standard.

I am sure Audi will do as many options as anyone cares to pay for. A Spare Wheel would maybe need to be one such option.

So if a spare is carried, it might need to be a rear seat folded down job.

Not sure if the battery will be in the boot, but you can still have a Spare over it, as Polo, A1

probably not with it being Quattro.

http://audi.co.uk/new-cars/a1/s1/specifications.html

Cooper S buyers maybe? They certainly don't care one bit if they can't even get their and their girlfriend's luggage to the airport, that I know for sure.  :giggle:

As you say, I like it but I wouldn't buy it.

It is so funny that the guy at the end talks about the car been practical for family daily use.

It is a 2lt, 230hp rocket! dropping down to the supermarket or worrying if it will fit some IKEA furniture is not a priority.  :giggle:

Some families want to go to the Skiing or just to the mountains or drive safely in all weathers,

and maybe not in a SUV. (4 pairs of Snowblades & boots will fit in the rear hopefully)

Maybe the small family runabout car can also be the weekend fun car.

It has ISOFIX 'child seat preparation in the rear'.

(so that makes it suitable as a Family Car.!!)

2 Seater Performance cars are very suitable as a Family Car for those Families without Children,

or where you leave them at home with the Nanny or Grandparents..

George, I think you've finally lost it! ;-)

ISOFIX is standard on all cars since about 2000.  For a manufacturer to quote it is superfluous.

A 2 seater car is not a "family" car, in the sense of having a family - which means kids in the generic sense of the word.

On that logic, I'd spend my £20k on a used 911 C4S - I know my kids would fit in the "seats" in the back.  You can get roof bars for them to increase luggage space...

Does that mean my iQ is not a Family car suitable for 2 with luggage,

or a couple and 1 1/2 children.

David Cameron, George Osborne & all the other politicians say 'Hard Working Families', and that appears to cover everyone who has a job, including childless couples.

It was not a serious post, 

But often Hard Working Families of only 2 are the ones that have nice cars.

Or lazy scrounging families, can have the very nicest.

Never had a job in their life single people often come from Families and get given cars.

They sometimes want to give mum, dad or someone else a lift.

eg Family Car. (Mums the Registered Keeper & Main Driver, named youngster likes their cars)

Stick Granny in the Front and the missus in the Rear occasionally and wait for the Inheritance.

Then buy a Porsche.

eg Family Car.

I know, but when  a car is listed as a family car, it's for the 2+3.2 children - the "family unit".

Of course a couple is a family and I have extended family all the way out to second cousins (probably some removed - or should be), but you don't aim to sell a "family" car to an individual. 

Same as a "sports" car isn't for family use.

Some types of car will be able to be more practical or more sports orientated while fulfilling their main raison d'etre, but that's why SUV/Crossovers are now so popular.

S1 will probably suffer the same fate as other small quick cars (Fabia VRS, Polo GTI, Ibiza etc), but does have one thing on it's side for now - the smallest, most powerful, premium car you can buy.  And for that alone, people will buy it.  They only NEED an iQ, but they will buy an S1 (or an Aston Cygnet if they're still for sale).

Anyhow available in 3 or 5 door, hatch, Sportback

& just a A1 with more go really, equals Small Family Car. or car for Small Families with some dosh.

(About 42 bhp more than a A1 185 ps, and its heavier again.)

Or anyone that wants one.

They say Manual now, so will there be a DSG option, it was saying so before, we will see.

I am now clearly not a Family from what i have just been told, but i do have one,

back doors and occasional seats are useful.  A1's are nice and comfy.

(& i am too big to get out of a BRZ without dropping towards the road.)

PS

They will not buy a Cygnet for power, its a 1.3 4 cylinder Toyota. 96 bhp.

Great car for the Nanny collecting the Children.

• Like 1

Intonation George, is impossible by email/text/forum reply - I am not telling you, of course you are a family (well, not on your own), but the marketeers don't think of a couple as a family - that's a couple.

It is also another case of the ever expanding Audi range - does anyone NEED an SQ3? Or SQ5? Or SQ7? Or RS3 (if they do one)?  Or S1?  Overkill, not able to be used 99% of the time (IMO).  BUT people will buy them, because it's the most expensive model in the range.

I saved all my pennies and went to buy a A1 185ps when the order books opened.

The reason being i wanted a car for fun that was as easy to get in and out of as a iQ or Suzuki Jimny.

Yet fast and Automatic.

& to buy as a keeper.

I had driven a Ibiza Twincharger & a vRS, and a Polo Gti was a no no for the ease of access.

But more about getting back out.

Audi A3 the same as the Polo. Too wide a sill, and too tight a space plugging in the seatbelt.

So an A1 was identical as an iQ for seating and beautiful inside. Space in the footwell.

Lovely with Leather.

The 122 ps DSG  i drove was a disappointment.

So i put down the Deposit, and waited and waited and then finally demanded my deposit back.

So went looking and driving vRS's and found i could get 2 for the price of the A1 i specced.

the vRS is not as comfy, but enough space, and small enough, because i like small cars.

& i need the pedals in the right place to use a left foot on the throttle, without modifying the car.

Now i want a A1, but not a Twincharger A1, so hoping to get a S1 when they are available as Autos.

I just hope i am not disappointed,

not liking the looks of the interior, but as long as the seating is right, gearstick and the seatbelt,

that will do fine.

Being a Granddad means sometimes a Family car is useful.

I reckon, when you're buying because you know what you want (doesn't need to be huge, want the power to keep you amused, want the luxury and premium interior) then you're on to a winner with what the S1 is promising.

If you believe the press, most Audi buyers haven't got a clue and look at whichever model they need, then add S-line pack to make it uncomfortable to drive and probably spec the next engine up, so they get hammered for economy and tax.

I guess it's what makes the S cars such a good used buy - I was looking at 100,000 mile S8s last night - mint looking, below average mileage, FSH, ranging from V plate to 54 plate - £3000-£5000.

Of course, I'd budget £10k, because then I could buy it, insure it, tax it at £400 per year, put new tyres on and most importantly, fill the tank every month...

• Like 1

S1,wonder when the first Demo will arrive in UK showrooms, for a "real test drive" .Rather than consume the hype and magazine bull.?

We had a look at The A1 a little while back. The interior was lovely on the s-line but the boot seemed tiny compared to the Fabia hatch - I'd assume that with the addition of 4WD the boot will get even smaller. Not that most buyers in the market would care about that tbh.

I'm looking forward to having a test-drive in one of these.

• Like 1

Accept that it's a different market but would like to see a comparison "FUN " test with the S3.

Chuckabilty and power /weight uumph!

Fun factor pound for pound VFM.