The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

With DtD not offering Skoda cars at present, it's quite difficult to get a true discounted price on the Octavia's (or any other Skoda), but having said that, I can't imagine anyone paying £34K for an Octavia Scout, when an A4 Allroad is available for £26K and an A6 Allroad (base spec) can be had for £33.7K.

My guess is the 184 Scouts will be available for about £26K-£27K max for a reasonable spec, any more then you'd switch to a Passat Alltrack (currently available for £23K) or new A4 Allroad.

Having said all of that, the Scout does look good!

You can go to the Octy estate website right now and price a 4x4 one... See what you get for £27,000... Not much. And that's before you added the Scout price increase.

My suggested £34,000 price is for an Octy that match my Yeti's spec. My Yeti has options yes, but some basic things like cornering fog lights, heated full leather seats and Xenon lights are standard. These are all options on an Elegance Octy hence having to add near £6,000 in options to match my Yeti.

So maybe you'll get a Scout for say £28,000 or £29,000 but in my book it will be poverty spec vs my Yeti (and I suspect vs an Audi Allroad).

An AllRoad starts at 31k basic, plus options. Not sure why its being portrayed as some bargain?

There are discounts available, but it seems the discount price for a non-optioned car is being compared to the retail price of a Scout with options. Doesn't make sense, its not comparing like with like.

Even if Skoda managed to remove the badge snobbery thing, I can't see any Audi/VW/BMW owners switching to this model and actually paying more. As for existing Skoda owners they would either have to have more money than sense or are trying to make a statement. However, perhaps Skoda are banking on government backed emergency services stumping up this money when they buy paramedic ambulances, fast response fire vehicles and the police cars .Let's face it money is no object to them, it's the tax payer who will be paying, and they will not even notice the massive price increase.

PS Good debate you have started here Johann :hi:

• Like 1

I think it looks quite nice and with the 185hp engine, will be quite a good drive. However, that price is just ridiculous and there are a number of things I don't like about the Mk III, having driven one. I would love a Yeti, if they made the boot a foot longer. It ticks all the boxes except its size. I'm in the process of evaluating the new Subaru Forester though, as that seems to fit my needs. It even has the (real) handbrake on the correct side ;)

An AllRoad starts at 31k basic, plus options. Not sure why its being portrayed as some bargain?

There are discounts available, but it seems the discount price for a non-optioned car is being compared to the retail price of a Scout with options. Doesn't make sense, its not comparing like with like.

Current A4 Allroads are available from £26.5K for a 225 TFSI or £25.1K for a TDI (both without extras) from DtD, so if I were looking at spending circa £28K for a 4x4, raised estate car, I would certainly be looking at the A4 Allroad (and the much cheaper Passat) as well as the Scout.

As yet the Scout price hasn't been released, but as Johann says, list price with extras could take it up to £34K and that's a lot when you think that you could add £5.5K of extras to an A4 Allroad 3.0ltr V6 Tdi s-tronic to get to the same price! It does make you think.

Until there are DtD and similar firms quoting prices for the Scout, it's a mute point. To give some clarity, that's a £7k and £6.7k discount respectively from DtD, against Audi retail prices for the base petrol and diesel AllRoad models.

Your mention of the 3.0TDI is also misleading. You won't be getting that engine at the quoted DtD price. That would be the 2.0TDI 177 version. Retail on the 3.0TDI is £37,275 so even with a decent discount at DtD levels you're at 30k before adding options.

The Audi options list is extensive, and expensive as well. You're looking at £1700 to bring an AllRoad up from cloth seats, for example. About the going rate, the Skoda leather option is similarly priced.

I can see your point of view, but fair comparisons need to be made.

The standard DtD discount on a Škoda was roughly 13%. So take that off the £34,000 top spec Scout and you have a £30,000 car - to compare like for like here as Wardy suggests. And that is a loaded Scout. So for the argument sake's £28,000, you'd get a poverty Audi or a medium loaded Scout. I still think even with more kit that's a hard pill to swallow for most people comparing those two cars. Ergo the Octy is overpriced.

• Like 1

As things stand, the Scout is 'robustly' priced, no argument about that! Possibly the reason for that is the success of the outgoing model and the very impressive demand for it, and in turn very solid residuals. Perhaps SUK have attempted to build on that this time round, testing the water somewhat with the asking price to see how badly customers want the new model?!

When I see a 20%+ widespread discount on cars, I usually have more questions. Usually it's around the lifespan of that model and when it's due for replacement. As in, there's usually a reason for the larger discount.

Had a leaflet through the letterbox last week from BMW in Cardiff, with all the offers on the range of four wheel drive models now available, they went from 1 series to 5 series, and they were saloons not SUV's.

Yep. XDrive now available on quite a few BMW models.

9 to be precise:

1-Series 5dr

3-Series Saloon

3-Series Touring

3-Series GT

4-Series coupe

Then X1/X3/X5/X6

Until there are DtD and similar firms quoting prices for the Scout, it's a mute point. To give some clarity, that's a £7k and £6.7k discount respectively from DtD, against Audi retail prices for the base petrol and diesel AllRoad models.

Your mention of the 3.0TDI is also misleading. You won't be getting that engine at the quoted DtD price. That would be the 2.0TDI 177 version. Retail on the 3.0TDI is £37,275 so even with a decent discount at DtD levels you're at 30k before adding options.

The Audi options list is extensive, and expensive as well. You're looking at £1700 to bring an AllRoad up from cloth seats, for example. About the going rate, the Skoda leather option is similarly priced.

I can see your point of view, but fair comparisons need to be made.

My partial mistake, the 3.0ltr A4 Allroad is £29.6K, so that gives you approx £4.5K of options to play with, and you're right about the breadth and cost of Audi options (I know from when we ordered our Allroad).

But even so, a lowly spec 245hp Audi A4 Allroad is going to seem like a heck of a lot more car than a 184hp Scout IMHO (even a high spec one). Not least 'cause that 245 V6 diesel is a peach of an engine.

Granted, when supply starts to catch up with demand, then 10 to 13% discount on the Scout and the introduction of a new A4 will make the comparison unrealistic. But as is stands, the Scout does look expensive, but then no Skoda's are really cheap these days.

• Like 1

All about choice there - lower engined and more options, or a bigger engine and more basic. The choice is yours :)

Some would question whether they need 245bhp for general motoring. I'm not one of them but it's horses for courses.

I always remember a friend going for a 318i saloon and adding 10k of options on a company car scheme. When asked why he didn't go for the 328i (this was a while ago) he said he didn't need that much power and spent the difference on stuff he wanted :)

With these current Audi discounts though, I have to wonder when the new one is due out :)

I was considering an Octy.Estate later this year to replace my 1.8T L & K Estate model and tried to do a price configuration. Bearing in mind the top model is now the Elegance with no where near the specification of the old L & K I tried to get as near as possible spec. adding items where appropriate and still with some of the L & K spec'n .missing, the price came to £25,400 and this only with the 1.4T engine. This is also looking like a big price hike from Skoda and possibly not good value when compared to other cars around the same price.

All about choice there - lower engined and more options, or a bigger engine and more basic. The choice is yours :)

Some would question whether they need 245bhp for general motoring. I'm not one of them but it's horses for courses.

I always remember a friend going for a 318i saloon and adding 10k of options on a company car scheme. When asked why he didn't go for the 328i (this was a while ago) he said he didn't need that much power and spent the difference on stuff he wanted :)

With these current Audi discounts though, I have to wonder when the new one is due out :)

I think that's what's quite bizarre about this debate - who would have thought that someone wanting an Octavia Scout could seriously choose instead a V6 diesel Audi A4 Allroad? I'm sure the natural balance of things will be resumed quite soon (I think the new A4 is out this year), but it does seem an odd place that we've arrived at!

BTW, 245hp is merely adequate, 184 is just tolerable  :rofl:

I don't think it's odd at all. I seriously considered an AllRoad vs the Yeti, for example. Especially taking into consideration the current level of discount on the outgoing AllRoad model.

I suppose when Skoda place the new Scout in this sort of territory price wise, these sorts of comparisons are naturally going to happen. Especially when you're considering cars on their merits, rather just purely on what badge is on it :)

• Like 1

Sorry TP but this is the ONLY Octy I will ever consider as it does not look like a taxi.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show/skoda-octavia-scout-set-geneva-debut

Click on the pics as the files are huge.

skoda_scout_front_v005.jpg

skoda_scout_back_v005.jpg

oct_scout_comp03.jpg

It seems to have Yeti L&K brown leather seats and sadly a Yeti Elegance gold sparkly dashboard...

I don't think Shark Blue works on it though. Jungle Green or something like that will be best. Just a pity this will probably cost £34,000 in a decent spec.   :whew:

I really want one of these!!! i have just brought a Yeti for Mrs Krooked. So if these are in the right £££ i will go for one, but if it's more money than a vRS. I'm not sure i would bother order a scout over a vRS. 4wd is not that essential for us.

I really want one of these!!! i have just brought a Yeti for Mrs Krooked. So if these are in the right £££ i will go for one, but if it's more money than a vRS. I'm not sure i would bother order a scout over a vRS. 4wd is not that essential for us.

Please reconsider as lots of Motability/council estate people have them! :devil:.

(Nissan QQ thread refers)

Please reconsider as lots of Motability/council estate people have them! :devil:.

(Nissan QQ thread refers)

oh c'mon. Is this really necessary? Carrying over posts from another thread to try and reignite an argument is pretty pointless. I think we all grown up since the playground days. One would hope!

Why should the Motability/Council fact be relevant to this thread ?

Edit. I found the thread and its content. Disgusted at the points raised but apologies were made, afterwards. somewhat belatedly. 

I paid £14K for my 8 month old / 6,000 mile Scout back in 2009.

This was when Skoda was still 'undiscovered' and the Scout really was a hidden gem.

I won't be replacing our Scout with another Skoda. Those days are over...

SkodaOctaviaScoutAdvert.jpg

Yes Skoda's are getting far to expensive; my neighbour has just bought two new Chevrolet's (a city car plus a crossover) for less than I paid for our Octy III SE 4x4 and one of those is a similarly equipped and 7 seat Orlando. Admittedly he picked them up very heavily discounted but having had a nose round the Orlando I must say it seems well built with nice materials and the diesel is quieter on start-up than ours, although warm it's the other way round.

TP