The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

Yes Skoda's are getting far to expensive; my neighbour has just bought two new Chevrolet's (a city car plus a crossover) for less than I paid for our Octy III SE 4x4 and one of those is a similarly equipped and 7 seat Orlando. Admittedly he picked them up very heavily discounted but having had a nose round the Orlando I must say it seems well built with nice materials and the diesel is quieter on start-up than ours, although warm it's the other way round.

TP

But wouldn't they need to be cheap, Tim?  They're not bringing them in to the the UK any more....Chevrolet have gone the way that Daihatsu went.  So to buy two new ones is taking a bit of a chance in my book. Unless they were REALLY cheap.

Edited by oldstan

But wouldn't they need to be cheap, Tim?  They're not bringing them in to the the UK any more....Chevrolet have gone the way that Daihatsu went.  So to buy two new ones is taking a bit of a chance in my book. Unless they were REALLY cheap.

Believe he got around 40 to 50% discount plus he tends to keep cars much longer than I do. Also understand the 3 year warranty is guaranteed even if Chevrolet leave the UK market (GM group product) but not sure by who.

Likewise I'm aiming to keep the Octy for much longer than the Yeti, as more than likely the Octy depreciated just in driving it off the forecourt as much as the Yeti did in almost 3 years  :S  therefore I took out the 5 year warranty from new.

Oh and when I do get to the itchy feet stage, then I will be more inclined to look beyond Skoda and the VAG group as a whole.

Regards,

TP

• 4 months later...

Pricing's been announced - from £25.5k, satnav as standard:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/pricing-announced-new-skoda-octavia-scout

And it'll be available with the CR185 and DSG, which makes it more interesting to me than the 4-cylinder A4 Allroad.

Now, if they just put the ventilated seats from the Superb into it...

• Like 1

Pricing's been announced - from £25.5k, satnav as standard:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/pricing-announced-new-skoda-octavia-scout

And it'll be available with the CR185 and DSG, which makes it more interesting to me than the 4-cylinder A4 Allroad.

Now, if they just put the ventilated seats from the Superb into it...

Yup and £27,805 for the 184hp TDI DSG.  There is only the two models - that and the 150 manual.  Spec ain't half bad either compared to the previous Octy Scout that had miserly spec and you had to add near everything nice as an option - which was money down the drain.

Spec over the SE:

Scout (over SE)

17" 'Polar' alloys with anti-theft wheels bolts

3-spoke leather MFSW with Scout logo

Amundsen touchscreen satellite navigation system

Auto dimming rear view mirror (with humidity sensor)

Colour Maxi-DOT trip computer

Cruise control

Door mirrors in silver

Door sill trims with Scout logo

Floor mats

Improved front and rear departure angles

Increased ground clearance (+33mm)

Lane Assist

Light assistant (coming home, leaving home, tunnel light, daytime running lights)

Rain sensor

Rough road package

Scout badging at front and rear

Scout body styling: front and rear bumpers, sills and wheel arches

Scout-specific front fog lights

Side mouldings in black

Sunset glass

Under-seat storage drawer on passenger side

I currently drive a TDI 184 DSG Octy and the engine / transmission combo is a joy.

Sure that due to the extra weight of the transmission on the Scout it's going to be a little down on my vRS performance wise and a little more uneconomical too but to be honest, once run in, if my Octy is anything to go by you should see mid to high 40s no problem.

Now it's confirmed it will run the 184 engine, I'm torn, I love my Octy and I think this will be the best thing between my current one and the Yeti I'm looking at.

Add a power boot and a panoramic sunroof and I'm sorted, very happy days.

Oh, Moon White please.

I currently drive a TDI 184 DSG Octy and the engine / transmission combo is a joy.

Sure that due to the extra weight of the transmission on the Scout it's going to be a little down on my vRS performance wise and a little more uneconomical too but to be honest, once run in, if my Octy is anything to go by you should see mid to high 40s no problem.

I personally believe that the added traction from the 4x4 system will mean that overall it's a quicker A to B car.

Yes, the Octy VRS will pull harder when rolling in a straight line.

But my Yeti (heavier and less aerodynamic) is more than a match for VRS models with the same engine when you add bends into the equation.

Then it rains:

VRS = traction control.

Haldex = forward motion. ;)

Also when are Skoda going to be allowed the 7 speed DSG boxes for the diesel models?

• Like 4

I personally believe that the added traction from the 4x4 system will mean that overall it's a quicker A to B car.

Yes, the Octy VRS will pull harder when rolling in a straight line.

But my Yeti (heavier and less aerodynamic) is more than a match for VRS models with the same engine when you add bends into the equation.

Then it rains:

VRS = traction control.

Haldex = forward motion. ;)

Also when are Skoda going to be allowed the 7 speed DSG boxes for the diesel models?

Yup, can't agree with you more.  My Yeti is my first 4x4 and the way it puts the power down rain or shine is amazing and most of all very reassuring. I've never heard a single wheel chirp under any circumstances no matter how much welly I give it. So point to point I'd also wager the slightly heavier 4x4 Scout will beat a FWD vRS over a twisty road fairly easily in the dry and without a doubt in the wet.

Yup, can't agree with you more.  My Yeti is my first 4x4 and the way it puts the power down rain or shine is amazing and most of all very reassuring. I've never heard a single wheel chirp under any circumstances no matter how much welly I give it. So point to point I'd also wager the slightly heavier 4x4 Scout will beat a FWD vRS over a twisty road fairly easily in the dry and without a doubt in the wet.

When are you ordering?

Can I have a look when it arrives. :D

When are you ordering?

Can I have a look when it arrives.  :D

Order books opened yesterday by the way...  And no I'm not ordering just yet. To get to my Yeti's spec (plus a few new things of course like radar cruise and an power boot) I still need to add about £3,500 worth of options taking it well over £30,000...  a bit much.

Silly how they have to nitpick to find something to write about on a perfect car eh? Saying the front seats are too close to the tunnel. Bless. Clutching at straws.

Order books opened yesterday by the way...  And no I'm not ordering just yet. To get to my Yeti's spec (plus a few new things of course like radar cruise and an power boot) I still need to add about £3,500 worth of options taking it well over £30,000...  a bit much.

I know, I got a PM from a certain person a few days ago... :D

But I've already ordered the new family barge.

It's a good car, but you have to start questioning when Skoda are heading over £30,000 and still don't have options that other VAGs do, like adaptive cruise control (only on L&K I think), ventillated seats etc...

I know, I got a PM from a certain person a few days ago... :D

But I've already ordered the new family barge.

It's a good car, but you have to start questioning when Skoda are heading over £30,000 and still don't have options that other VAGs do, like adaptive cruise control (only on L&K I think), ventillated seats etc...

Hmmm...  I honestly thought that adaptive cruise was an option. Seems it's not. It is standard on the L&K though...  Typical SUK selective and restrictive option choices then.

• Like 1

Interesting comment that might be to rest some of the queries that have arisen on our model:

""but a more prevalent fault is that you'll always feel a slight diesel-induced vibration through the steering column and pedals.""

• Like 1

2.0tsi would be a cracker too.

I think Audi vetod that idea though. :D

Probably! Would also be nice from the perspective of having somewhere that could re home some of my current under bonnet upgrades :nerd:

• Like 1

I want one!  I want one now!

Had decided if it weighed anything over 1550 Kg (for the sake of my lovely caravan!) I would have one .... seems it weighs in at 1559Kg!  Woop.

Fly in the ointment is someone on the caravan site we are on (Silverbank Caravan Club Site at Banchory - wonderful) has a nice shiney red Audi SQ5!  Wow!  Ok it is far too much cash so a Scout will suffice!

I want one!  I want one now!

Had decided if it weighed anything over 1550 Kg (for the sake of my lovely caravan!) I would have one .... seems it weighs in at 1559Kg!  Woop.

Fly in the ointment is someone on the caravan site we are on (Silverbank Caravan Club Site at Banchory - wonderful) has a nice shiney red Audi SQ5!  Wow!  Ok it is far too much cash so a Scout will suffice!

Iain go read every single SQ5 review and you will read about a mediocre car par excellence...  Add ferocious depreciation and "I'm a drug dealer" looks and it is one sure way to lose money and street cred (on Briskoda anyway!) fast. Nah a £32,000 Škoda is a far better way to waste money and not shout about it.

• Like 1

Interesting counterpoint in the Golf R vs Cupra 280 video at http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-volkswagen-golf-r-vs-seat-leon-cupra-280

I like the Scout but wonder what the real or lease price will be. Bit big for my driveway anyway...

So what's wrong with the new qashqai, 4x4,dsg ,0-60 2.7 sec, 1150 bhp ,4.1v6 turbo apart from the price.

Bloody ugly.

Poor fuel consumption figures.

Awful interior.

And your figures are wrong!!

1150 bhp??