The only car that will tempt me out of a Yeti

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seems in the last week (since I checked the spec over the weekend) my PERFECT Scout is now possible to be configured.  You can now finally get Adaptive Cruise as an option for £750 or just the front assistant for £300!!!  They had already added the electrically folding mirrors before.

They have also finally added a fully fitted towbar and not just the towbar prep - £550.

That makes it a near £35,000 car though..............  which is silly alas.  Sigh.

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seems in the last week (since I checked the spec over the weekend) my PERFECT Scout is now possible to be configured.  You can now finally get Adaptive Cruise as an option for £750 or just the front assistant for £300!!!  They had already added the electrically folding mirrors before.

They have also finally added a fully fitted towbar and not just the towbar prep - £550.

That makes it a near £35,000 car though..............  which is silly alas.  Sigh.

With around £4,000 off via Dtd so more like 31k. ;)

With around £4,000 off via Dtd so more like 31k. ;)

I realise that Lee. BUT a near full house 170 DSG L&K Yeti is nearer £26,000 after discount... £5,000 is still a lot more for the Scout. But then you get an MQB platform, better economy with stop start, a more powerful engine, a huge boot, adaptive cruise (that you can't even get on a Yeti)... Hmmmm. I probably just need to go and see my friendly dealer too. :-)

• Like 1

I and the lady of the house like the Yeti, but there is time to get a newer car. We had a test drive with Octy III Combi. It was a Scout, but it is to pricey for our needs. We are going to test a base Octy Combi in the near future. It is bigger, it is lower, it has narrower doorways, etc.

But when sitting back to the Yeti, it was a return to the past, it is outdated and the FL Yeti is equal. I have checked many crossovers, but not found any at a reasonable price which have all features I like. The new Yeti is too far in the future, so there might be a Octy III 1.4TSI DSG Combi Elegance with rough road package, Intelligent Parking Distance Assistant, Driving Mode Selection, Adaptive Cruise Assistant, Tiptronic steering wheel, Webasto, heated windscreen etc. And the price tag is about 27 000 GBP with taxes (34 000 euros).

Edited by Grumpy Finn

I realise that Lee. BUT a near full house 170 DSG L&K Yeti is nearer £26,000 after discount... £5,000 is still a lot more for the Scout. But then you get an MQB platform, better economy with stop start, a more powerful engine, a huge boot, adaptive cruise (that you can't even get on a Yeti)... Hmmmm. I probably just need to go and see my friendly dealer too. :-)

I agree - there's no getting away from the fact the prices of all the new Skoda models are climbing but I still say they offer decent value for money when compared to what else is out there. The ones that offer better vfm imo (Hyundai's and Kia's) just aren't as nice to be in. At the end of the day it depends on how important the benefits of the Octy are over the Yeti and are they worth that 5k to you? Don't forget (and I know you actually know this) but that 5k is giving you better equipment ie the latest versions of kit and things like the Skoda uprated Sound System in the Yeti and and the Canton on the Octy are in different leagues. From the perspective of a eight year Columbus sat nav user, the new units are far nicer also. For me, id happily pay the additional over the Yeti as the only drawbacks with the Yeti (few and far between - smallish boot with a lack of depth being the main one) are solved. However, I still cant get my head around the look of the Scout - primarily the silver lower add ons front and rear - they are just too wide, don't marry with some other design elements and the holes in them are just too big and square! Id be very interested however in what the Golf Alltrack costs once fully optioned up. Whereas I look at the Scout and think 'meh', I look at the Golf Alltrack and see it as a far more resolved, classier design - especially in the White paint colour - very clean lines, classy looks and contrasts well with the black body parts. Plus the interior is a nicer place to be, not just in terms of ultimate plastics quality but in terms of ride and refinement :)

However, I still cant get my head around the look of the Scout - primarily the silver lower add ons front and rear - they are just too wide, don't marry with some other design elements and the holes in them are just too big and square! Id be very interested however in what the Golf Alltrack costs once fully optioned up. Whereas I look at the Scout and think 'meh', I look at the Golf Alltrack and see it as a far more resolved, classier design - especially in the White paint colour - very clean lines, classy looks and contrasts well with the black body parts. Plus the interior is a nicer place to be, not just in terms of ultimate plastics quality but in terms of ride and refinement  :)

Pretty much what I think.

The Golf Alltrack is just so much better looking.

The Octy Scout looks like a good car on paper and in use, but is functional rather than nice looking once it's out of the showroom I suspect.

Going back to the Yeti, I still really like mine.

But getting in it after my new car you do see why it's noticably cheaper.

No way would I buy a FL version though, it's getting old now and a new face doesn't make up for that.

Not to mention I've seen a few FL red ones and they just don't look right...

• Like 1

Pretty much what I think.

The Golf Alltrack is just so much better looking.

The Octy Scout looks like a good car on paper and in use, but is functional rather than nice looking once it's out of the showroom I suspect.

Going back to the Yeti, I still really like mine.

But getting in it after my new car you do see why it's noticably cheaper.

No way would I buy a FL version though, it's getting old now and a new face doesn't make up for that.

Not to mention I've seen a few FL red ones and they just don't look right...

Exactly, the Octavia is the whites good version - very functional and does everything it says on the tin but something is missing in the 'want' department and less attention to detail but then maybe that means they have the division of the VAG marques just right...

Scout_Alltrack.jpg

(And I'm with Johann – I think the Scout looks the best of the three (SEAT, Golf and Octavia).

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 2

(And I'm with Johann – I think the Scout looks the best of the three (SEAT, Golf and Octavia).

The Octavia looks big and imposing...  somehow in these pics the Golf just looks small and like a little estate car on stilts.

• Like 2

Scout_Alltrack.jpg

Beauty is in the eye . . .  etc., but I prefer the Golf. I reckon that if the Scout was in Grey, you wouldn't notice it - most of it's visual impression comes from the fact that it's body colour is so much different to the background, whereas the Golf is the same colour as the sky. Oh, and the Skoda's wheelbase is 51mm longer.

Pricing will be the deciding factor and given how much the Scout is, there's a possibility (albeit small) that the VW could actually be cheaper. Skoda are trading (and pricing) on an established reputation with the Scout, whereas this is new territory for VW at this level.

• Like 1

Allright, let's see...  :coffee:  :nerd:  :coffee:  :whew: ....

:p

LOL  Well done and so quick.

Well the Octy's top of its grille is much higher than the Golf's - so the nose looks bigger.  And at the back the Golf's horizontal tail lights make it look lower than the Octy with it's more blocky and slightly more vertical lights. These are just basic Design 101 facts making the Octy look bigger. It might not be much in real terms but that is always how your eyes will make it look.  

I'm not saying I don't like the Golf. It's a lovely machine, I just like the Octy more.

Scout_Alltrack.jpg

Funny world, isn't it?

There are complaints on here about the Yeti getting the "Skoda corporate" face, and yet the Golf above has the "VW corporate" face.

Nowt as queer as folk!

And from Hirundo's rendering, I'd still buy the Scout.

(but I won't, as it is too big and too expensive for me)

Funny world, isn't it?

There are complaints on here about the Yeti getting the "Skoda corporate" face, and yet the Golf above has the "VW corporate" face.

Nowt as queer as folk!

And from Hirundo's rendering, I'd still buy the Scout.

(but I won't, as it is too big and too expensive for me)

But the mk7 Golf has always looked like that - its the design and family look from day 1. The Yeti got it grafted on during a facelift and therefore my issues with it are that the square looking details that were added don't match the earlier and still visible rounder details from the side profile. Anyway... I have to say, given those photos, I think I prefer the Octy overall! It looks bigger and bolder but as said, has a lot to do with the rather wishy washy colour of the Alltrack and strong race blue of the Scout. Having driven the estate version of both cars fairly extensively now I have no doubt that the Alltrack will still offer a nicer drive compared to the Scout. The Alltrack looks are very colour dependant imo though.

• Like 1

The Yeti got it grafted on during a facelift and therefore my issues with it are that the square looking details that were added don't match the earlier and still visible rounder details from the side profile.

+1

As for the above pictures, I more like the Golf in the upper one and the Octy in the lower one :)

Allright, let's see...  :coffee:  :nerd:  :coffee:  :whew: ....

:p

Scout_Alltrack.jpg

Thanks. That confirms that I like the Golf better. 

Price and specification will no doubt be the deciding factors, but I suspect the VW may well work out cheaper on PCP. Not sure when prices for the Alltrack will be released.

Also hope they do the Alltrack as a 184 manual rather than the DSG only option of the Scout (which helps to make it rather expensive).

Also hope they do the Alltrack as a 184 manual rather than the DSG only option of the Scout (which helps to make it rather expensive).

Read the articles I posted jlwah...  the Golf will have WAY more engine choices than the Scout.  Though said article is unclear as to which engines will be mated to which gearboxes...

Peculiar that in this test of the SEAT they say the top spec DSG 184hp version has only got a 1,600kg tow rating whereas the lower models have a 2,000kg rating...  I trust that is not the case for the Scout?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/seat/leon-x-perience

The Scout is 1800kg, assuming of course, that the UK website is accurate!

That's odd given that the Yeti 170 manual and DSG have the same towing capacity (2100 kg)! Even the Scout 150 manual has 2000 kg capacity.

Although the brochure isn't out yet, the Golf Alltrack is said to have 2000kg towing capacity.

Good to know that the Golf will get greater engine / transmission options (makes it even more appealing  :happy: ) 

Why do VAG do this. The first shots of their cars always have enlarged wheels and tyres which completely fill the arches. This isn't how the car actually looks.

Skoda, SEAT and VW do it, I always think wow, that looks nice...

VWwvsdvGolfqevqevevAllTrackaqceqef-002.j

Then this turns up, the reality is the wheels and arch gap is completely different...

VW-Golf-Alltrack-6.jpg

• Like 1