R-Tech's K300 package: tempting?

Mankee

I don't have a Facebook account, but I do browse R-Tech's Facebook page to see what they are up to. I'm seriously tempted with their possible K300 package! Seems like a bargain for what you get? But who actually needs 300bhp in a FWD "sensible" road car though... dilemma.

Depends how you look at it. Looking at your sig, your Caterham is 500 bhp/tonne? Doesn't matter what you do with your Octavia it's never going to feel as quick.

If money is no object then I'd do it, I haven't come across a tuner as thorough as R-Tech and the BBT turbos are very good - I am running a hybrid K03 on mine and it's making a relatively easy 320bhp (at only 1.0 bar). Considering you get the turbo (£725 I believe on an exchange basis), all the labour (6 ish hours?) and the map within the price I think you're right, it's pretty good value but I suppose you've got to be prepared to strip the turbo if you come to sell or accept the loss.

I've seen your threads, John, and 320bhp must feel very, very swift?

The Octavia is my sensible family car for the road and the Caterham is for track only, so I'm not aiming to replicate the same feel with both cars. I told the missus this morning that she's had a lucky escape because I'd already decided that I don't need chuck (more) money at the Skoda! Just need an oversize intake pipe and an R-Tech map and I should be where I want to be.

Seeing as you can get a vRS for maybe £1,000 nowadays, you could throw a few grand at it and end up with a real sleeper...

I've seen your threads, John, and 320bhp must feel very, very swift?

It is definitely although it's the big lump of torque that makes all the difference and it would be a whole different experience again to the 20vT.

I think what Niki has been able to achieve with the K300 is to provide a better all round package which results in performance with less stress.

That deal has 5 switchable maps too.

I keep talking myself towards and away from the package, but as the sensible family car with occasional track outings, I'm going to stick with a K03S. For now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't believe I started this nearly 2 years ago! I'm still running a K03S and will do so, unless I start spending vast sums on decent suspension, rebuilt engine with rods, and a rebuilt box with some form of LSD. 240bhp/290lbft is still fine for me. It would be a shame to get a K300 and then not being able to go all the way with it. Bit like a lap dance.

(I'm in a strange mood.)

I can't believe I started this nearly 2 years ago! I'm still running a K03S and will do so, unless I start spending vast sums on decent suspension, rebuilt engine with rods, and a rebuilt box with some form of LSD. 240bhp/290lbft is still fine for me. It would be a shame to get a K300 and then not being able to go all the way with it. Bit like a lap dance.

(I'm in a strange mood.)

:o lol....

10502499_833707176675295_819783246058227

It bloody does! If they still do it. All i would need for that is the maf, injectors and turbo. Then the fitting etc. Uprated fuel pump will be in next week. Bam injectors can be had for under 100 sheets. So all in all good cost for just shy of 300hp. But then once there will the temptation be for rods etc. I've read on rtech the k300 with rods can achieve just over 300hp, which i think will be ample enough anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't think R-tech get involved with fitting big bits, as their main task is just mapping. They'll turn away anything that isn't fully sorted for mapping. If it's only those three things you need, just buy the turbo (and maybe intake pipe?) from BBT and injectors and MAF from wherever and either fit it all yourself or get a trustworthy garage to do it?