Amundsen volume/bass supression

When I crank up the volume whilst playing music everything sounds as expected for the standard system, but when the bass kicks in the volume backs everything down in volume.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust or turn this off?

• Like 1

its overloading the amp in the headunit, so to avoid blowing the amp the sound level is altered. The standard OEM system is only 20 watts per channel, which is not a lot for a car. You really need to look at externally amping the speakers if you want loud, perhaps upgrading the speakers at the same time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I crank up the volume whilst playing music everything sounds as expected for the standard system, but when the bass kicks in the volume backs everything down in volume.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust or turn this off?

I totally agree I like my music punchy... and the Bolero and maybe the others have a harsh built in compressor limiter...In my last Ford Mondeo you could switch this off, but I don't see this setting in the Bolero. I don't want to upgrade the system, it is what it is. But I wonder if there is a way to get into service mode and can this be switched off in there? Anybody???? 

I also wonder will there be a software upgrade to the system because listening to DAB you can clearly hear a hi pitch hiss and as a listener to BBC Radio 5live you have to turn the treble off completely. Is this just cheap internal components making the treble level so high pitched?? you only need to take the treble up to 3 and its shredding your ears... I think the makers or Skoda got it wrong on the Hi-Fi.

I'm following this thread so I hoping for answers.... thanks.

Loz1

I have DAB radio on everyday (but not Radio 5) and can honestly say it's very clear, no hiss at all, I have the Amundsen but not canton.  The sound is ok, as good as any other standard car radio I've ever had (and after having owned 30+ cars that's a justifyable statement).  Bass is normally 1 off max and trebble the same, no issues with sound quality at all.

• Like 1

Audio quality is subjective. After 4 days of driving my VRS I an beginning to like the Bolero more and more. At first the car seemed to lack the base of my former car (3 Series), the more I drive it the more accustomed I get to it's sound. To me it now sounds much much better than it did on day one. Admittedly the speakers may have bedded in slightly, but I think my it is more a case of my ears bedding in to the different sound. DAB quality is extremely good, especially on the higher bit-rate channels. Switching from FM to DAB shows a marked improvement in clarity within my car. I have no hiss, and there should be no hiss on a digital signal. Analogue induces hiss.

4x20W is roughly one third of the quoted output within my former car, but it is more than sufficient to reach too loud levels for me. The only change over stock settings I have made is to notch the base up slightly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I still have this anouing hiss when listening to DAB but have now decided to just keep the treble off until the car comes up for its first servive then I will mention it to the service department as I am sure this cannot be right.

Thanks for the replies.

Well I still have this anouing hiss when listening to DAB but have now decided to just keep the treble off until the car comes up for its first servive then I will mention it to the service department as I am sure this cannot be right.

Thanks for the replies.

Is this for all DAB channels or just the lower bitrate ones? For my Bolero the higher bitrate channels are crystal clear, even with the volume cranked up.

Have to agree with this; something (whether its hardware filters on the speakers themselves or software controlled) is actively limiting the HU output and its frankly bloody annoying. I guess its been done to limit door trim rattles and blown speakers but its overkill.

I understand the same afflicts the Mk7 Golf also so the Octavia is not alone.

If anyone figures out what it is that is controlling this and theres an easy way to do away with it be interested to know.

I also disagree wholeheartedly that the amp is being overdriven....my last two VAG cars had 4 x 20w amp setups and they both went far louder than the Octavias without much distortion (if sensible) and no clipping.

• Like 1

I have to say, one of my let downs with this car is the sound system.  The 'out of the box' sound is very poor!  They require quite a lot of audio adjustment to get them sounding acceptable.  But when set up nice they don't sound too bad at all.

Sheldon.cooper, if you have to have your treble up that high then something can't be right.  Unless of course they're all poor out of the box in different ways.

Is this for all DAB channels or just the lower bitrate ones? For my Bolero the higher bitrate channels are crystal clear, even with the volume cranked up.

Thanks for the reply. this is on all channels... its more like a hi piched wine with a hint of his with it. again today I  put the treble off compleatly to stop this hi piched wine  after playing music from the usb. its madning because its not as notice able on fm but is there... but DAB which should be noise free in blinking not... anyway as I said I will leave this until the first service then ask them to deal with it.

And PIPSYP i am glad you noticed how harsh the compressor limiter in on these units. still waiting for some one to find away to service mode or hidden menus in order to switch this setting off.  Or again I will ask Skoda to do it at service time.

Loz.