On the road with Skoda Superb Combi FL

LS108

Yesterday finally took the delivery of Škoda Superb Combi FL 2.0tdi 4x4 DSG6 in  Black Magic with Twister 17' wheels.

On top of the Elegance spec I put:

- additional side airbags in the back

- autonomous heater

- sound system

- tinted windows

- electric boot

- kessy

- roof spoiler

- Bolero radio with MDI

- Leather/Alcantara (free of charge)

- 3 spoke multi-functional steering wheel with DSG shift paddles

- hands free system

- nets in the boot plus the one which separates boot space from passenger space

First day impressions are rather subjective because of comparing everything to my previous Volvo V70 :)

What I've noticed immediately - that the interior looks more expensive, stylish and well build than in Volvo. Handing is better - steering wheel is light at low speeds and correctly weighted in high speed turns (in Volvo it was opposite). 

Suspension in Škoda handles with bumps ok, but it is loud on potholes. Overall suspension is on stiffer side.

How and why DSG works as it works I don't yet understand. Why it is putting 5th gear at 40 km/h although engine is struggling, especially if it is incline. Overall engine sound could be less noisy inside, but of course it needs to be run-in. 

Good to have DSG shift paddles on steering wheel.

The car picks up speed without noticing it :)

And also managed to find icy spot to test how car starts on ice+incline. Found almost no difference with dry asphalt :D

I've heard complaints that electric boot opens too slow - did not noticed that. 

That's all for now.

post-109284-0-78868300-1392792706_thumb.jpg

post-109284-0-16066000-1392792708_thumb.jpg

post-109284-0-05018400-1392792709_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS108
  • Like 3

Lovely car - enjoy!  You'll find the engine noise will decrease over time.  It does take some time to run it in (I've 4,000km on mine and its not anywhere near run-in).  Once that happens though it will struggle less in 5th/6th gear and the car will feel more relaxed - I have a manual but I'm sure the same applies in the DSG.  VAG models generally have a slightly harder suspension setup.  How do you find KESSY??

I like Kessy, especially Engine Start button. It is so pleasant to touch (in Volvo it was too plastic and was not fixed in place firmly). 

Just it feels strange to get out from the car with empty hands :)

Before ordering Kessy I was thinking is it practical enough - especially when I like to put my bag on back seat - so back doors needs to be opened before front. But now it looks convenient and fast.

In general Skoda surprised with many small practical details. All buttons are nice to touch, touch screen works even with gloves (and we need gloves for at least 7 months here!), inside it was warm much faster than in Volvo (although Volvo had additional heater). Adaptive front lights works nice, detects tunnel in matter of milliseconds.

Edited by LS108
  • Like 1

I find KESSY ok but I notice the door handles are much less sensitive in the wet/cold.  Still find myself using the fob sometimes.  The xenon lights have improved on the FL model over the previous model (well I think they have!) and the adaptive system is great. The fog lights are a bit redundant however.

Friends,

some practical questions from my side:

1) With DSG box - do you have to use handbrake when parking, or it is enough to leave the box on P (with the condition, that car is parked on horizontal surface)?

2) How to switch recirculation mode off (I want that air would be taken from outside all the time)? Is this when no green light (neither left, nor right side) on the recirculation switch?

3) Can I use S mode of DSG when doing running in (of course without redline reving)?

Thanks.

Edited by LS108

Your car looks very nice and you must be very pleased with it!

Does it have satellite navigation in elegance specification as you have a Bolero radio?  With the L & K model, I've got the upgraded sound system too and it's good with plenty of volume without distortion.

I'll be driving to Lithuania in September and I'll keep a lookout for your car if we go to Vilnius.  We've friends on Kalvarij? g. and we usually stay nearby at Hotel Vilnius on Konstitucijos pr. unless they're at their dacha near Marijampolis.

Your Volvo looks like it's new and is a credit to you.  I used to be more particular and was always washing and cleaning the car when I had a bit more of my youth, but I'm not out cleaning it every week now!

No, navigation is optional extra - but it was not cosnsidering it - as I have portable one :-)

Volvo was washed before putting it on sale. During winter is does not make sense to wash the car too ofter here :)

So, done first 300 km - only in town. More or less get used to car size - can do parallel parking from the first attempt :) Also found comfortable sitting position. So clever, that hand rest height can be adjusted!

Going through settings was easy - did not needed manual, everything is self-explanatory.

The only thing which I did not yet used to - DSG. Probably 20 years of driving manual gearboxes does something to you :) I do not like when the car puts 6th gear at 55 km/h and the revs is at 1100. The engine is vibrating and you can feel it via steering also. It is so good, that I ordered DSG shift paddles - I use them from time to time. I did not yet used S mode (dealer recommended not to use it for first 1500 km), so I hope with S - the box will choose higher gear. Next month I will travel a lot (Bratislava-Budapest-Belgrade), so I will run-in the car properly :)

Btw - my car does not have hill-hold, but it does not roll back on 'normal' Baltic country hills :) Or maybe I can quickly move the foot from brake to accelerator?

You REALLY need to go to someone with VCDS/Vagcom...lots of little tweaks to do and options to enable on that car I bet...

Have you used the heater option altready? How do you find it?

Have you used the heater option altready? How do you find it?

Unfortunately spring came here two months in advance, so no proper test of 4x4 and of additional heater :( When it is around 0C in the morning it is warm enough to go to the car and to drive away. This morning it as ice on windows, so I put on heater after starting the engine - and the ice was off during 1-2 minutes while I was chatting with neighbor. 

Next month I will travel a lot (Bratislava-Budapest-Belgrade), so I will run-in the car properly :)

If your passing through Prague, let me know if you have time for a coffee...... my office is on the start of D1 :-)

Unfortunately spring came here two months in advance, so no proper test of 4x4 and of additional heater :( When it is around 0C in the morning it is warm enough to go to the car and to drive away. This morning it as ice on windows, so I put on heater after starting the engine - and the ice was off during 1-2 minutes while I was chatting with neighbor. 

Same here in Prague, but i guess we will both test is in years to come.

Finally I have chance to ask normal technical question :)

When going backwards slowly and I press brake for the first time - usually there is sharp metal-like sound from somewhere in the area of below my seat or so. I was reading somewhere that it might be related with Haldex locking/unlocking the wheels?

Btw - my car does not have hill-hold, but it does not roll back on 'normal' Baltic country hills :) Or maybe I can quickly move the foot from brake to accelerator?

Hi, are you absolutely sure that you don't have hill hold? I was under the impression all DSG equipped Superb's had that now ...