On the road with Skoda Superb Combi FL

LS108

Hi, are you absolutely sure that you don't have hill hold? I was under the impression all DSG equipped Superb's had that now ...

Well, it might be nice gift from the dealer (without letting me know), but Hill Hold was not mentioned in car specifications and also it is additional price for it in the price list :)

Finally I have chance to ask normal technical question :)

When going backwards slowly and I press brake for the first time - usually there is sharp metal-like sound from somewhere in the area of below my seat or so. I was reading somewhere that it might be related with Haldex locking/unlocking the wheels?

Update - the sound is heard not only when going backward, it is while going both directions and braking at low or very low speeds (5-30 km/h). It is worth to mention that it happens not every time, usually during first attempt to brake and second press to the pedal is ok.

It might very well be a "cleaning" of metal oxidation from the brakes discs. 

When weahter is wet (rainy, foggy) and the car is stationary, metal oxidation happens to the brake discs, a layer of rust can be seen on the discs.

When starting off, the first brake pedal is clearing that layer away, brake pads rub it off the discs. If you're going at low speeds you can actually hear that. 

Anyway, when setting off after the car was stationary in the damp weather it is advised to apply the brakes at low speeds in order to rub off the rust from the discs. If this happens at high speed, there is the risk of damaging the brake discs, as high velocity braking really heats up the rust and it can turn into small particles that will scratch the discs surface.

Hope I managed to explain this ok.

Edited by Norian

It might very well be a "cleaning" of metal oxidation from the brakes discs. 

When weahter is wet (rainy, foggy) and the car is stationary, metal oxidation happens to the brake discs, a layer of rust can be seen on the discs.

When starting off, the first brake pedal is clearing that layer away, brake pads rub it off the discs. If you're going at low speeds you can actually hear that. 

Anyway, when setting off after the car was stationary in the damp weather it is advised to apply the brakes at low speeds in order to rub off the rust from the discs. If this happens at high speed, there is the risk of damaging the brake discs, as high velocity braking really heats up the rust and it can turn into small particles that will scratch the discs surface.

Hope I managed to explain this ok.

Thanks for answer. In my car specifications it is written that the car has the system, which 'keeps brake discs dry' - so I thought maybe I hear this system working. Just that the sound is heard even when the discs are supposed to be dry (in dry weather). 

However for time being I will label this sound as normal. During next couple of days I will do close to 1500 km - total mileage will be close to 2000 km - so running in period will be over and I can start driving in my normal style. 

I get the 'cleaning' noise and got it on my previous Focus too but it's more like a grinding sound for the full duration of the first couple of brake presses rather than a sharp metallic noise. Don't think its this.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Well, it might be nice gift from the dealer (without letting me know), but Hill Hold was not mentioned in car specifications and also it is additional price for it in the price list :)

Hi again!

Just checked and in Sweden the Hill Hold function is standard on all FL Superb's from the Ambition model and up. Please press the thumbnail below ...

post-109390-0-38625500-1394091498_thumb.jpg

Maybe you should check yours again? ;-)

Ok, I will try to find steepest incline in Vilnius :D How it supposed to work?

Just lift the foot from the brake pedal and the car will remain stationery until you will press the accelerator pedal.

Just lift the foot from the brake pedal and the car will remain stationery until you will press the accelerator pedal.

Actually it only holds for 2 or 3 seconds,

Unlike the VW Passat which has a electronic brake, so the Auto Hold (hill hold) stays on til your hit the accelerator.

Edited by scottprague

That's correct and it feels somewhat strange the first time since you really expect that car to at least move something but no, the brakes keep the car completely still. I would say that you need to press the pedal firmly, if I just nudge it the hill hold doesn't engage ...

... so yes, get out there and look for a really steep incline.

Have a nice day!

News for today :)

1. It has no hill hold. But I do not feel a need of it, as on usual inclines in Lithuania car starts to go forward after releasing the brake :)

2. Did the first motorway journey yesterday (320 km). Revs vs speed ratio is impressive - 2500 revs at 135 km/h. Road noise is acceptable, could be little bit better, but the car is on hard rubber winter tires. I have to admit I am still trying to find the most comfortable sitting position. I am 193 with rather sensitive back (did rowing for 8 years). At the moment I feel that the knees are bend too much, but I cannot go more backward with the seat, because then I cannot reach steering wheel properly. Any hints? 

3. Strange sound while braking is still under investigation :) At least I found the best description of it - it reminds the sound when you crush bear can :) And it appears when gently applying the brake after longer period without braking and at slower speeds. It comes from under the car in the area of drives seat or more to the middle of the car. I hope all the wheels bolts are tighten ok :)

Edited by LS108

1. It has no hill hold. But I do not feel a need of it, as on usual inclines in Lithuania car starts to go forward after releasing the brake :)

Well then, good to know you can live without it ... and we all now know that different markets have different features enabled per default. Didn't think hill hold functionality was one of them that is different ...

Good luck with your new car!

2. Did the first motorway journey yesterday (320 km). Revs vs speed ratio is impressive - 2500 revs at 135 km/h. Road noise is acceptable, could be little bit better, but the car is on hard rubber winter tires. I have to admit I am still trying to find the most comfortable sitting position. I am 193 with rather sensitive back (did rowing for 8 years). At the moment I feel that the knees are bend too much, but I cannot go more backward with the seat, because then I cannot reach steering wheel properly. Any hints? 

1. This is because of the DSG gearbox. The car creeps forward in D or S without pressing the accelerator. It is not hill hold. With hill hold, when releasing the brake pedal, the brake calippers remain under pressure until accelerator is pressed.

2. I can understand you. 187 myself with some back problems. I've chosen driving position like this:

a. Steering wheel at maximum towards seat.

b. The back of seat at an 70degrees angle and seat pushed back until wrists can touch the upper part of the steering wheel, while shoulders are pressed against the seat. As doubble checking the seat position, you should be able to put the gear stick in P with your shoulders pressed against the seat. 

Hope I managed to explain it properly :)

3. Strange sound while braking is still under investigation :) At least I found the best description of it - it reminds the sound when you crush bear can :) And it appears when gently applying the brake after longer period without braking and at slower speeds. It comes from under the car in the area of drives seat or more to the middle of the car. I hope all the wheels bolts are tighten ok :)

Ok, it seems I know the answer. The dealer got the idea straight away - according them it is nothing wrong - there is specific spring which holds brake pads in the specific place on the disc brake and it moves slightly when braking after changing direction of movement or after longer period of going through uneven surface. 

Was at the car wash today (the reason is the picture in the post above). Gave the keys to them.

After washing the guy comes and asks - "is this PASSAT yours?"  :giggle:

Edited by LS108
  • Like 1

I understand, that environment protection is important, but this seems too much to me :)

I also experienced this in my first 5000km with the DSG changing at low revs.

Was frustrated by this, but, as km kept coming, the DSG got over this nasty habit.

When chilling and cruzing through the town it changes from 5 to 6 at 60-65kmh. In the first '000 km, it changed from 5 to 6 at 55kmh

I only felt the engine fully runned in only after 10 000km

Proper 4x4 testdrive done today :D

I am impressed. Also I understand why crashes with AWD are more severe - you get overconfident. The roads were so slippery, but car starts like on dry asphalt. 

vObjrbt.jpg

FN4KcmC.jpg

YqHc2Hh.jpg

Edited by LS108

I also experienced this in my first 5000km with the DSG changing at low revs.

Was frustrated by this, but, as km kept coming, the DSG got over this nasty habit.

When chilling and cruzing through the town it changes from 5 to 6 at 60-65kmh. In the first '000 km, it changed from 5 to 6 at 55kmh

I only felt the engine fully runned in only after 10 000km

Good to hear that DSG is adaptive. I hope it will be the same in my case as well as driven distance will grow. 

Proper 4x4 testdrive done today :D

I am impressed. Also I understand why crashes with AWD are more severe - you get overconfident. The roads were so slippery, but car starts like on dry asphalt. 

That's the problem indeed: The car pulls like on dry asphalt, but 4WD doesn't improve on braking or cornering. That's why I prefer winter tires over 4WD, since winter tires also help the braking and the cornering.

That's the problem indeed: The car pulls like on dry asphalt, but 4WD doesn't improve on braking or cornering. That's why I prefer winter tires over 4WD, since winter tires also help the braking and the cornering.

I am using both - AWD + winter tyres ;)

Did first longer trip - to Bratislava (via overnight in Warsaw). 1100 km. Tired moderatly, mainly due to heat (+20C...I am still on winter tyres).

Avg consumption 6.2L. Speed 110-130 km/h.

Tested the suspension on famous concrete blocks road via Brno. It survived, but my head still rattles.

Budapest in few days, then Belgrade and home.