On the road with Skoda Superb Combi FL

LS108

No, business wise I travel only within Lithuania, and max it is 600 km roundtrip :-)

Trips to Europe are related...how to call it properly...with a lifestyle. I am travelling to Buddhist courses as often as I can. This time it is not a long trip. Last year I made it to Romania and Bugaria, so 5000+ km. Year before - Italy, Hungary, Prague - 6500 km. And in between - many short trips to the cities nearby (1000 km range).

Usually we travel with friends, so that's why I need to have big and reliable car :-)

Edited by LS108

Well, they say travel broadens the mind !

Have you ever been to the UK  - There are several meditation centers near where I live in West Yorkshire

Chris

I was in UK several times, but not for this matter :-) Driving on the other side of the road scares me a lot :-)

Recently we got a nice place in London - Beaufoy Institute. One day I will go to see it.

No, business wise I travel only within Lithuania, and max it is 600 km roundtrip :-)

Trips to Europe are related...how to call it properly...with a lifestyle. I am travelling to Buddhist courses as often as I can. This time it is not a long trip. Last year I made it to Romania and Bugaria, so 5000+ km. Year before - Italy, Hungary, Prague - 6500 km. And in between - many short trips to the cities nearby (1000 km range).

Usually we travel with friends, so that's why I need to have big and reliable car :-)

If your journeys happen to take you again to Romania, just let me know, I can happily indicate some routes/ places to go, especially since 2 of the most beautiful driving roads in the world (quote from Jeremy Clarkson :) are in Romania, crossing the mountains. If crossing my area, a cup of good coffee/tea are on me :)

Yes we did Transfagarasan:

z7N3Ye1.jpg

The memories of it was marked by the rock which hit the bonnet - not a big one, so we were able to continue. Insurance covered replacement of the bonnet later on.

We went past by Brasov as well - were heading to the place near Zagon.

I will definietely come back to Romania - I liked it very much. It is so different. And the nature and country side is not ruined by civilization yet.

Edited by LS108

Yes - Transfagarasan is one of them. Done it more the 50 times, cars and motorbikes and no rock incident, though. It's really safe, sorry for your bad luck. I enjoy driving on it 5-6 times a year.

Transalpina is the second one - It's higher than Transfagarasan. Perfect tarmac, views to kill for :)

Edited by Norian

Yes - Transfagarasan is one of them. Done it more the 50 times, cars and motorbikes and no rock incident, though. It's really safe, sorry for your bad luck. I enjoy driving on it 5-6 times a year.

Transalpina is the second one - It's higher than Transfagarasan. Perfect tarmac, views to kill for :)

About Transalpina I got the info only when Evo magazine tested Jaguar roadster there (there is a video in youtube). And the rock was pushed down by sheep, so next time I will watch out :-)

PS. Arrived today in Belgrade, had to park in underground parking of the hotel - uf, it is a big car, Superb :-) Mainly driving in Shengen countries it was good memories to be in contact with boarder guards :-)

Was at the car wash today (the reason is the picture in the post above). Gave the keys to them.

After washing the guy comes and asks - "is this PASSAT yours?"  :giggle:

Interesting.......

Were you pleased or insulted............?

It's not happened to me yet, but I think that the guys in my local carwash know their Skoda's,

the really like SWMBO's Race Blue vRS Octy!

DC

Transalpina is more spectacular, as your drive about 30km only on "top of the world" with limitless views 360 degrees :)

About Transalpina I got the info only when Evo magazine tested Jaguar roadster there (there is a video in youtube). And the rock was pushed down by sheep, so next time I will watch out :-)

• 4 weeks later...

While driving through Czech Republic I could not resist to buy another Czech icon:

sNfrido.jpg

It is my childhood one of the most favorite character.  

You must be on a very smooth road if he's sitting up there at 120 kph? :happy:

You must be on a very smooth road if he's sitting up there at 120 kph? :happy:

No, I am not that brave. My hand is on this left corner of the steering wheel and the picture is taken by the passenger. 

• Like 1

Well, first problem, sort of. USB connection stopped working :) Not a huge one, as I'm listening mostly radio. Will wait until 15t km service. 

Oh, so you also went for the fixed 15k km service interval ?

They gave me a choice between a flexible - maximum 30k km service or fixed 15k km. As I am planning to keep the car 5 years, (4 years manufacturer warranty, 1 year additional warranty), I went for 15k km interval.

As to cost, a 15k km service is 200Eur here (Castrol Long Life 5w30 Oil + Oil Filter +  Air filter + Interior Air filter)

The 30k is rather more expensive, as Diesel Filter is also changed, at that alone is 50Eur.

The 60k is the "cost killer", as beside the servicing - same as 30k one - the DGS oil + filter needs replacing, and that alone is 250Eur. Total for 60k service is aprox 500Eur :( Need to make some accruals for that :)

Well, good question. My car is company car - so I do not have info what is agreed with the dealer :) MFD says that I have 5000 km to oil change, so I based my assumption on this. 

Btw USB connection started working again. :)

IF the MFD shows 5k km to go, I presume you have 10k km with the car, so it was set to 15k km service intervals.

It's code is: QI4 - fixed service interval

The other is QI6 - flexible service interval.

You can also see this info, on the interior cover of the service plan - that page with a lot of codes describing the car.

You have either QI4 or QI6 from the factory.

Mine came with QI6 and I asked service to change it in QI4.

In Romania - private owners can choose this setting, for all company cars or lease cars is fixed interval - they presume the car is more abused :) if its company car

So, two months passed and I finally feel that I've done proper run-in. 10.000 km on the clock.

And to be honest - I've really felt some change at 8500-9000 km. The engine seems to be more quiet, more power felt on low revs, majority of rattles disappeared and even suspension seems not so harsh on potholes. Or maybe reason is that I am used to everything :)

• Like 1

So, two months passed and I finally feel that I've done proper run-in. 10.000 km on the clock.

And to be honest - I've really felt some change at 8500-9000 km. The engine seems to be more quiet, more power felt on low revs, majority of rattles disappeared and even suspension seems not so harsh on potholes. Or maybe reason is that I am used to everything :)

I definitely agree with you there.  I have 11,000kms now and since around 9/10,000 there is a noticeable change.  Engine more free revving and quieter.  Also fuel economy improving and suspension has settled too

• 4 weeks later...

In some reviews I saw people complaining that Superb's air conditioning system is not powerful enough. Last week I had a chance to test it.

qJS3FJS.jpg

And those were the settings to keep cool enough and not to risk to get pneumonia due to too big difference in inside-outside temperature:

PrTo0sq.jpg

So no complaints to my side to Skoda. However I could complain to the weather - for us, here in North, its way to hot.