On the road with Skoda Superb Combi FL

LS108

You're lucky that the screw is in the centre of the tyre and is easily repaired.

I had two very similar punctures in the front nearside tyre in the first year and 8,000 miles (about 12,800km) of ownership.  Both were screws, both were in the centre of the tyre and both were repaired with no problems. 

Does anybody know if there is some logic behind why car sides are in different color in this picture:

krKTZYl.jpg

Hi, I have the same view on my Amundsen+ and I thought being a LHD car that there was some kind of logic showing the far back corner as dangerous...

Have a nice day!

Sent via Tapatalk ...

• 2 weeks later...

15.000 km / 4 months update

Everything still works fine - even DSG :) The only thing which is not tested properly - autonomous heater. Kessy, adaptive lights, electric boot works just fine. 

To be honest - I cannot find any single complaint - and that is quite unique, as usually I am too demanding towards cars I am driving. Ok, sound isolation from tyres could be a little bit better. And there are some very silent rattles in the interior. But those two complaints are rather minor. 

I am still impressed how well 170 Hp engine is paired with DSG - when you want to play with the car on twisty road it feels more powerful that it is on paper (my previous cars had 225 and 260 HP, so I have to what to compare). Although it is big car, but it is very agile, turning circle is small and it is not too wide car so no problem in the city.

And I also like feeling of grip from 4x4 when setting of from the traffic lights at full throttle. And the steering wheel weighted just ideally. 

So all in all - I think that it was clever choice comparing to the alternative (the car on the left ;) )

w2T1mvo.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, 5 months went by and 15.000 km on the clock - meaning first oil change. 

ixgBgtW.jpg

So far so good, no issues to complain about (just once Kessy lost the key, but found it by touching Sart button with the key). Recent few weeks car is operating in unusual heat (30-35C, which is killing heat for us, East Europeans :) Air conditioning system works fine and is more than enough for me. 

Few days ago car had first minor accident - I was cruising at 70-80 km/h when suddenly I saw plastic wheel cover flying right at me (yes yes, we do not have very good roads in the towns here, so those flying covers is not unusual thing). I was simply frozen, did nothing, no braking, no changing direction. Just took foot of the pedal. It hit somewhere in the front bumper and disintegrated. I stopped already counting damage, but was amazed when found nothing damaged. After more careful inspection I found 1 cm small scratch on the lower lip of front bumper. Lucky me. Worst thing that could happen - the impact could trigger airbags. 

Btw - I did almost no mileage during last 30 days - was on so called parental leave for a month ;)

Edited by LS108

No, I wasn't thinking of re-setting. Anyway I do not look at the screen when reversing, so this does not annoy me :)

Yes, the logic of having it so it can't be seen while reversing defeats me - especially as they warn you not to assume it is infallible!

I like the car but my first impression, coming from a Mondeo saloon is that the ride is much worse than the Ford - though it does have 18" rather than 17" wheels, and that the enormous space in the rear is as a result of having a boot about a foot shorter than the Mondeo did!  The seats are less comfortable too. 

I find the DSG changes up too soon for my liking but assume this will improve as the engine gains flexibility.  Before the Mondeo I had a 2003 Passat diesel (140) which was so flexible you could drive through town at 30 mph in 6th gear - that seems to have gone.  (the Mondeo was bad in that respect - it struggled in 4th at that speed)

Yes, the logic of having it so it can't be seen while reversing defeats me - especially as they warn you not to assume it is infallible!

I like the car but my first impression, coming from a Mondeo saloon is that the ride is much worse than the Ford - though it does have 18" rather than 17" wheels, and that the enormous space in the rear is as a result of having a boot about a foot shorter than the Mondeo did!  The seats are less comfortable too. 

I find the DSG changes up too soon for my liking but assume this will improve as the engine gains flexibility.  Before the Mondeo I had a 2003 Passat diesel (140) which was so flexible you could drive through town at 30 mph in 6th gear - that seems to have gone.  (the Mondeo was bad in that respect - it struggled in 4th at that speed)

Well, Mondeo is a class leader by many car journalists. It's a pity that new generation is so delayed for Europe (USA have Fusion for 2-3 years already). However I is worth to mention, that ride quality is not strongest part of all VAG cars including Passat and A6 they all suffer from over-reacting to potholes and other road imperfections. 

And about DSG - changing too soon gear up or down? Majority of Superb drivers complain that it changes to soon to higher gear, for example to 6th at 55 km/h (it improves during time). And if you have in mind downshifts - then yes, DSG downshifts immediately (and I see this as benefit), but you have to get used to it - and after some time you will know exactly how hard and quick to press pedal in order to get downshift or to stay in the same gear. 

Yes, changes up to soon - I am sure it is for fuel economy (not real life economy, just to suit the tests!) but somewhere between Normal and Sport would be nice!

Edited by Mph25

Yes, changes up to soon - I am sure it is for fuel economy (not real life economy, just to suit the tests!) but somewhere between Normal and Sport would be nice!

Understood :) Then you are among majority who have the same observation. 

I wonder how new is you car? DSG improves a little after first 10.000 km - also engine becomes more settled at low revs. So if it is brand new car - be patient :) 

Understood :) Then you are among majority who have the same observation. 

I wonder how new is you car? DSG improves a little after first 10.000 km - also engine becomes more settled at low revs. So if it is brand new car - be patient :)

Yup, brand new - well 1500km so far. :). Hopefully will free up a bit.

I find KESSY ok but I notice the door handles are much less sensitive in the wet/cold.  Still find myself using the fob sometimes.  The xenon lights have improved on the FL model over the previous model (well I think they have!) and the adaptive system is great. The fog lights are a bit redundant however.

Ok, this explains a lot. I've had my car 16 months now (From new) and we've just had a very cold winter. Explains why my KESSY doesn't work so good during very cold mornings on the doors. I also have to use the fob more.

Ok, this explains a lot. I've had my car 16 months now (From new) and we've just had a very cold winter. Explains why my KESSY doesn't work so good during very cold mornings on the doors. I also have to use the fob more.

Hm, never noticed problems with KESSY during winter or wet weather. However I only used the car in March and it was -10C the lowest. We'll see how it works in -30C.

Well, this temperature is FAR from normal here. I know that the cars for our region is specifically prepared for winter conditions, but are they prepared for such heat. Or is there any difference for example in Superbs send to hot climate countries?

TDQgxNv.jpg

Not sure. Not too many Skoda's here in Australia to compare. We have been getting 0 and 1 degree here in Melbourne. -2 and -5 in the mountains with snow down to 400 metres. (Bet you didn't know that happened in Australia) So I have been noticing a big difference with KESSY over the last few weeks. Last Sunday it warmed up to 17 Degrees and the KESSY worked fine. So I'm assuming cold weather does affect performance of KESSY 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...