I want this drivetrain in a Yeti body

Perfect!!!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/VW-Golf-GTE-2014-first-official-pictures/

Add 4x4 running gear and a Yeti body and I'll be in heaven. 31 miles of electric only power is more than enough for all my average trips in London. Yet it can also tow my caravan and drive me to Edinburgh.

• Like 3

I'm confused. How can a 150bhp petrol and 100 bhp, combined only make 201bhp? Is it to do with when the peak power is produced?

Yes. The two motors don't both produce their peak power at the same rpm so the peak total isn't the sum of the individual peaks. On the plus side it probably results in a wider power band.

Perfect!!!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/VW-Golf-GTE-2014-first-official-pictures/

Add 4x4 running gear and a Yeti body and I'll be in heaven. 31 miles of electric only power is more than enough for all my average trips in London. Yet it can also tow my caravan and drive me to Edinburgh.

I always thought that the best option would be a FWD drivetrain with in-situ generator, and a rear electric motor (to do away with the heavy space-taking front-rear prop shaft)! Even a 1.2 TSi DSG with the extra 100bhp rear motor-pair would do nicely in a Yeti I suspect. 

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/85854/volkswagen-golf-gte-plug-hybrid-revealed

Yes. The two motors don't both produce their peak power at the same rpm so the peak total isn't the sum of the individual peaks. On the plus side it probably results in a wider power band.

Ah yes of course. Makes sense.

The Pug 3008 and 508 Hybrid "4x4" cars have an engine powering the front wheels and an electric motor powering the rear wheels.

Needs to be like the volvo hybrid with a thumping great 5 pot up front and a rather large motor driving the rear wheels,

It will drive as a FWD, RWD or AWD depending on what mode you select on the dash

Hmmm.

Am I right in understanding that our current hypocritical EU testing regime.

allows cars to start the very short mandatory test with the batteries fully charged?

But do not account for the depletion of the stored electric energy over the test run.

The test mpg's are therefore meaningless.

just a thought

Marcus

Hmmm.

Am I right in understanding that our current hypocritical EU testing regime.

allows cars to start the very short mandatory test with the batteries fully charged?

But do not account for the depletion of the stored electric energy over the test run.

The test mpg's are therefore meaningless.

just a thought

Marcus

That's the case for all of these so you can compare apples with apples. Whatever the "real" mpg is, it will still be better than that of the 1,4 litre petrol version without the battery.  And we all know how misleading the actual quoted figures are for all cars relative to the real world figures.  

Hardly "apples with apples"

Perhaps if VW (or others) installed a large battery in the boot of a std diesel.

Charged up and connected to a jury rigged electric motor, driving a rear tyre by friction.

Without any pretense of recharging.

1000mpg should be achievable.(based soley on the diesel consumed)

During the test, with the engine only ticking over.

WTF does this prove.

Until there is a meaningful testing regime for hybrids.

Rate them as the equivalent petrol, fitted with "stop/start"

Edited by dieseldogg

Yet it can also tow my caravan and drive me to Edinburgh.

I wouldn't bet on that - There appears to be loads of Hybrid-esk cars now, which have the inability to tow - inc Merc E300 & Toyota Auris Hybrid...

Al. 

I wouldn't bet on that - There appears to be loads of Hybrid-esk cars now, which have the inability to tow - inc Merc E300 & Toyota Auris Hybrid...

Al. 

Ah...  I didn't realise that some hybrids have this restriction.

• 4 weeks later...

Would be nice to have a plug-in hybrid Yeti that could do about 30 miles in pure electric mode. However there would be a few challenges. Firstly they would have to find a place to put the batteries and this might eat into the baggage space. Secondly the battery pack and additional components needed would add a few hundred kilos to the weight of the car so you would need a relatively powerful petrol/diesel engine to compensate for the extra weight when running without the electric motor(s).

Would be nice to have a plug-in hybrid Yeti that could do about 30 miles in pure electric mode. However there would be a few challenges. Firstly they would have to find a place to put the batteries and this might eat into the baggage space. Secondly the battery pack and additional components needed would add a few hundred kilos to the weight of the car so you would need a relatively powerful petrol/diesel engine to compensate for the extra weight when running without the electric motor(s).

I think you'll find VW solved all of those "problems" in that Golf GTE already.   :kiss:  Add 5% or so reduction in MPG and increase in CO2 when fitted in a Yeti body and voila you have the perfect Yeti (in my view).

Al. 

Not quite correct, but agree it's a totally useless weight limit for a caravan - assume it is just for something like a camping trailer. 

From Toyota website:

A new, optional Towing Pack allows the Auris Hybrid Touring Sports to tow loads of up to 345 kg.

Not quite correct, but agree it's a totally useless weight limit for a caravan - assume it is just for something like a camping trailer. 

From Toyota website:

A new, optional Towing Pack allows the Auris Hybrid Touring Sports to tow loads of up to 345 kg.

345kg will be one very, very small caravan.  Maybe one of those toy ones made for Barbie dolls!

I think you'll find VW solved all of those "problems" in that Golf GTE already.   :kiss:  Add 5% or so reduction in MPG and increase in CO2 when fitted in a Yeti body and voila you have the perfect Yeti (in my view).

Nope ! The boot in a Golf GTE as well as in the Audi A3 e-tron is 100 litres smaller than in a standard Golf or Audi A3, and I think the possibility of a spare wheel under the boot is completely ruled out.

Nope ! The boot in a Golf GTE as well as in the Audi A3 e-tron is 100 litres smaller than in a standard Golf or Audi A3, and I think the possibility of a spare wheel under the boot is completely ruled out.

And? My boot is also 100 litres smaller due to the spare wheel... a smaller boot is the price you pay (these days) for electric power. So solved in my book.  If you want electric power you have a smaller boot, no spare wheel and you can't tow.   :rofl:

And? My boot is also 100 litres smaller due to the spare wheel... a smaller boot is the price you pay (these days) for electric power. So solved in my book.  If you want electric power you have a smaller boot, no spare wheel and you can't tow.   :rofl:

I dont think that would work for me. Im acutually more hopeful about the next gen Tiguan which will be based on the MQB platform and which should also come with a plug-in hybrid option.

I dont think that would work for me. Im acutually more hopeful about the next gen Tiguan which will be based on the MQB platform and which should also come with a plug-in hybrid option.

I love the idea...  but truth be told it doesn't work for me either. I need the boot space, a spare wheel AND I need to tow.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well Mitsubishi has already done it.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi/outlander-phev/

mitsi-outlander-phev-rt-02202.jpg

Sounds extremely impressive. I don't care to be honest because I will never ever buy a car that is so willfully and hideously ugly as this thing. Pity.

The text does say:

"Apart from two rearmost seats and a bit of towing capacity, the PHEV retains all of the regular Outlander’spracticality."  So it can tow...  

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/specifications.aspx

From that then it can tow up to 1,500kg in fact with a noseweight of 100kg AND gives you 32 miles of EV power. Extremely impressive.