So what you been doing to your VRS lately?

Big Lee

Had plans with my girlfriend tonight. Car heard about the plans and decided otherwise...

• Electric window regulato
Broke down for the gazillionth time. This time I replaced the whole regulator with a brand new pre asembled one I bought last year on ebay.de since this one was too far gone to save. All I had to do was to switch the motor over to the new unit. PM for seller info

UOCdkTr.jpg?2

• Random stickers
I put these on a while back. Discreet but a nice addition to the otherwise dull Mk 1 interior. Made by a forum member. Great stuff. I've got two logos on the outside of the car too and these have withstood wear, sun, and pressure washing without any damage for two years.

PfBRTHi.jpg?1

oMennJn.jpg?1

• Vinyl wrap (work in progress)
I also received my vinyl wrap I ordered from ebay UK. Will try to wrap the interior parts this weekend.

fmj0TlH.jpg?1

Carbon fiber (gloss)

DIgWT8W.jpg?1

VlzxTML.jpg?2

Brushed titanium

LgTeXxH.jpg?1

RoiuGjV.jpg?1

The plan is to do the interior with the brushed titanium and maybe the side mirrors with carbon fiber. The brushed titanium is really good looking. It looks different depending on lighting and the vinyl has a metal like texture to it.

Exciting!

Good stuff mate, the brushed wraps do catch the light nicely. The little stickers are a nice touch too.

the shape is odd,I tried 2 time and if you stretch the wrap too much in a few days will peel a shrink.

Not even if you wrap in 2 pieces is hard as hell ,will also peel and will look crap.Or maybe if you are a professional automotive wrapper may be different.

My car is wrapped entirely and the side mirrors are painted in deep matt black,was the only solution 

Edited by IulianE

I went with the brushed ti as well (3m). Looks amazing - well happy with it. However it doesn't *quite* match the dials, a couple of shades darker. I'm still trying to work out if that annoys me or not, lol.

5898350D-D451-4F74-A8DB-29943D7D49DD_zps

I went with the brushed ti as well (3m). Looks amazing - well happy with it. However it doesn't *quite* match the dials, a couple of shades darker. I'm still trying to work out if that annoys me or not, lol.5898350D-D451-4F74-A8DB-29943D7D49DD_zps

I got lucky brushed aluminium is very similar shade. I however the brush strokes go down on the console and across on the wheel badge. I'm trying to work out if that annoys me. Looks nice though mate.

I got lucky brushed aluminium is very similar shade. I however the brush strokes go down on the console and across on the wheel badge. I'm trying to work out if that annoys me. Looks nice though mate.

Where'd you get the ally from mate? Seems harder to come by in the larger sheets...

Where'd you get the ally from mate? Seems harder to come by in the larger sheets...

On phone so link is tricky, but ebay item number is 261075386887. It came quite quick and was sensibly packaged. Need to redo my piece around the stereo as the inner corners have gone a bit pants, think I overstretched it.

Ah nice one, ta bud. Gonna give it another week or two and if I'm still not sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for the ally instead haha. Those corners and the curved bits right at the top were a right mare!

Ah nice one, ta bud. Gonna give it another week or two and if I'm still not sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for the ally instead haha. Those corners and the curved bits right at the top were a right mare!

I know they're horrible! Looks like you did a very neat job though, any tips? I found the brushed stuff thinner thus more workable than the carbon, but more susceptible to shrinkage and going weird afterwards?

Yeah the brushed was easy as pie to work with, never played with the carbon!

I found best strat was to remove the whole panel, wrap the front and then trim until there's just enough to wrap around to the back. For the corners I cut inwards from the edge towards the corner a few times in a neat arc, then pulled the bits round to the back nice and tight, so you effectively have like a W pattern of little tabs to pull tight round to the back. Was a faff but worked pretty well.

Yeah the brushed was easy as pie to work with, never played with the carbon!

I found best strat was to remove the whole panel, wrap the front and then trim until there's just enough to wrap around to the back. For the corners I cut inwards from the edge towards the corner a few times in a neat arc, then pulled the bits round to the back nice and tight, so you effectively have like a W pattern of little tabs to pull tight round to the back. Was a faff but worked pretty well.

Is that for the outer corners? I'm ok with those it's the inner 90 degree corners I have trouble with.

Same idea just opposite. Make a kind of V in towards the corner, going in as close as you dare. Takes the pressure away and makes it easier, but don't cut right the way in. Like this (crappy iPhone) diagram [emoji1]post-112125-14299898208875_thumb.jpg

Get rid of the red bit.

Same idea just opposite. Make a kind of V in towards the corner, going in as close as you dare. Takes the pressure away and makes it easier, but don't cut right the way in. Like this (crappy iPhone) diagram [emoji1]attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429989820.422829.jpg

Get rid of the red bit.

Love the diagram, was thinking about trying that and like you say don't go right up to the edge and watch for splits as you fold over?

That's about the size of it. And heat of course! You can go pretty close to the edge but not too close or you'll see the cut mark. I actually thought the hardest bit was the two top corners by the buttons, the combination of 90 dog corner and slight curve makes life 'interesting' haha.

With those I made some more cuts along from the corner as well, so the side you fold over only has about 1cm of solid tab at a stretch before the next cut until the curve flattens out. That helps too!

Busy day yesterday. Sore body today and I'm still fuming. See down below what happened :@

• Rear beam bush

Replaced with Fabia vRS standard Lemforder bush

DbmNbga.jpg?1

Two broken screwdrivers and a hell of a pounding later

8wg7d5g.jpg?1

My bush installation "tool". Worked perfectly and cost was around £6.

1Fumzyd.jpg?1

To get the bushing fully home I found this part on an optical fiber drum trailer at work. I felt so lucky because it was absolutely perfect size to fit around the hole on the beam and still miss the bushing. This luck was to end later...

TYmobV0.jpg?1

• AP rear shock absorbers and progressive lowering springs. - 30mm

Zwdxhrz.jpg?1

Old shock absorber and top mount. Looks to be in OK condition after 12.000 miles

ZN5wdbK.jpg?1

OE spring is OK too. Not much rust

NsEnYsb.jpg?1

New shock with brand new top mount and re used bump stop

NBUf57e.jpg?1

Right side top nut decided to have its day. Oh no you won't b*tch! This is why I always buy new hardware. Maybe should've bought new bump stops  :notme:

VVfo2Ga.jpg?1

Mmm purple...

jxrfmST.jpg?1

So what made me so angry? Well I really got to test the handling of the car sooner than I would've imagined:

• Chased some ****s on bikes throwing eggs on my car on the way home. It's good to play Richard Burns Rally on a regular basis. Really helps you when you navigate your way through industrial estates and sidewalks. Also, having worked as a graffiti security guard in stockholm helped with the chasing part.
  • Upside is that car handled great. The ****s didn't know that the car they threw eggs on had just tightened up the rear end. I can report no more understeer or wobbliness :thumbup:
  • About twenty or so people came up and asked me why  I washed the car when it rained :giggle:

l3MTw9H.jpg?1

For anyone thinking about doing the rear beam bush: do it yourself! The satisfaction of having done it yourself is immense (?) Just take your time, follow the guides and most importantly - come prepared:

- Buy new hardware. The right side beam bush bolt wouldn't come out since it hits the fuel tank. I cut it off and then installed the new bolt from the other side

- Plan for a full day off to do it. Why would you need to rush an DIY job?

- Support the car with care. I did this with one trolley jack and two axle stands (one to support the beam and one as safety) along with four wheel chocks. If you have a friend it would help a lot, especially if you find yourself stuck under the car :no:.

- I pried the old bushing from one side and then drilled some holes to it. Then I hammered it out with a long round tipped metal crow bar. That thing really worked since you get a lot of force in one blow.

- Make your own bush installation tool. I used a 35 cm long M10 threaded rod, two threaded rod couplings, two metal washers, one nailplate cut in two and some wood blocks. The rod couplings are great because if you round one edge you have 5 cm more to work on.

- Eat a bowl of porridge before you start...

My "garage"

fH1lKwQ.jpg?2

Because of some unwanted rust - this is the only picture I will upload of the car today

ZVO1gm3.jpg?1

• Like 4

Light was crap today so thought there would be a better chance of a photo of the rushed aluminium wrap, light still bounced off it though.  Hopefully gives a better idea for you of the shade.  I redid the stereo surround (again) and I'm finally happy with it, well 98% but it will do!  And I did it without heat, just clever cuts, punctures and snicks.  The ally is so workable and pretty stretchy as it is and I was finding heat was screwing it up a little bit with shrinkage and wrinkles after I'd finished, anyway, there we go...

20150430_090806_zpsqcz50bqh.jpg

20150430_090757_zpsr1srg2je.jpg

20150430_090752_zpsxjsxmvgn.jpg

I've also (posted in other threads):

Fitted a big smic with some pretty effective results!

Pikey mod on the actuator

New steering rack gaitors

Started doing some treatment and touch up work under the arches where the mudflaps were before it gets any worse, prefer the car without the flaps as it goes

This means I will have a can 6260 lemon paint so I feel a colour coded grille surround coming on! 

I also noticed the Michi can is doing its thing and starting to fill up, nice to know

Also fitted BKR7E plugs, seem pretty good

In the last year:

Replaced brake discs (and pads)

Both anti roll bars

Cam belt went the week before I had it booked in to be done so replaced the engine (easier and cheaper as all 16vs bent)

exhaust (needs doing again tho as they've put the wrong one on)!! Bush kindly gave me the square back box back to see if I could get someone to weld it on to the rest of the new exhaust as they said they couldn't find a replacement hhmmmmm

econ hoses

both wishbones

CV joints

bushes

Still to do:

window mechanism on drivers door

CD changer

temperature sensor

and aesthetically:

Replacement cup holder

Replacement rear ash tray cover

Respray/lacquer rear spoiler

Touch up stone chipped bonnet (always be in the front at a gravel rally!)

Respray alloys

wrap front grill

New badge

Complete valet

• Like 1

Wrapped the grill surround and mirrors in gloss black vinyl, fitted led number plate bulbs, vrs number plate surrounds from Awesome Gti, oversized silicone tip from r tech, new dv and pancake valve or whatever you call it, tinted rear windows, fitted wind deflectors, fitted new style Skoda badges front and rear. Got a new style vrs badge on the way for the grill, also have an Audi TT inner wing that I need to cut the vent out of for the mod on mine. Also just ordered a milotec rear diffuser

• Like 2

Not sure why it uploaded loads of the same pic but u get the idea. Really pleased with how it's turned out. Just need to red oxide and stone gaurd it followed by primer and paint. Should look good as new but even stronger

• Like 1