1.6TDi 105 -warning light "control system for exhaust" & flashing glowplug light

mbames

My father recently bought a 1.6 105 (2011, 36k), and it has recently started showing the "control system for exhaust" light on the dash.  Performance appears to be the same.  Apparently the glowplug light also flashes now and then (distance it starts to flash seems to be variable from a few hundred yards to 15 miles away).  Cycling the ignition causes this to go away.  This fault doesn't happen every time the car is driven.  I guess as it goes away with a ignition cycle that means the code isn't too 'fatal'.

Initially it was just the glowplug light which came on now and then.  However the exhaust light is on all the time, and the glowplug light sometimes comes on

Sadly I am not familiar with these "modern" engines, as I have an much more simple 110TDI, so any words of advise would be appreciated

Thanks,

Matt

You need to plug it in to find the fault - I've had the glowplug light flashing twice (both times intermittent).  Once was the exhaust temp sensor which was replaced, and the other was the software needing an update due to a MAF sensor fault.  Both under warranty thankfully.

Is the car still under warranty?

I had this problem at 5000miles.  Engine shaped yellow light came on and stayed on; glowplug light starting flashing during a particularly long slow crawl in traffic but reset after the engine stopped, cooled down and restarted.  No change in performance or economy.

Culprit was a failed sensor in the DPF - fixed under warranty.

My greenline had similar issues......twice.

Year 1......exhaust temperature sensor.

Year 2......exhaust pressure sensor.

Year 3.......failed injector resulting exhaust DPF getting destroyed.

Year 3.......had enough of everything to do with the diesel exhaust system and changed to petrol. ;)

Good luck

Car was bought privately, so unless it is under a Skoda Warranty, then sadly no :-)

All these extra exhaust sensors sound horrible, still at least it gives them somewhere to start their investigations.  I did recommend they bought a petrol, but sadly be input fell on dead ears!

I have an old version of vag-com (3.0.3, iirc), wasn't sure if that would work with the newer cars as the label files will be out of date?

Thanks all for your input so far. :thumbup:

It's in the handbook I think, but it sounds similar to the fault I had once - it told me to proceed immediatewly to a dealer and not to drive the car (quite how you can take the car anywhere without driving it, I don't know).

When I arrived at my destination, tirned off, did whatever I was doing and came back, switched back on, it had gone, never to return.

I think the handbook says it is EMC fault or some such, the fact it's on with glow plug light and intermittent would point to DPF sensors etc - does he just do short trips?  Does it need a good blast?

It almost sounds as if the seller knew this fault was there, but now your Dad has inherited it - for peace of mind I'd get him to get it checked ASAP, because if it is DPF, then it could get to be replacement money - similar to changing an early Cat on a petrol - £1000s.

It may just be a sensor, or need to do a regen - go for a longer drive (over 20 miles/20 minutes) and try to work the engine a bit - higher revs, hold lwer gears etc.  This should trigger a regen, effectively allowing the system to "burn off" the particulates it collects in the DPF to keep those emissions down.

Good luck to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this.  They have given it a good blast up the motorway and the exhaust light is no longer on, but on their way back down the motorway (Cheltenham to Bristol) the glowplug light came on 14 times.  Normally when it comes on they cycle the ignition and continue on with the journey.

Before this trip they went a local garage who scanned it said it probably just needed a good blast, and cleared the codes.

They seem to think the light is more likely to come on when slowing down (makes me wonder about brake lights, but they are sure the main 2 bulbs work - but are going to check the high-level light).

brake light switch?

has two sets of contacts, 1 for brake light  and the other goto ECU, something to do with cutting power when you brake

Edited by bluecar1

Needs to be put on a diagnostic machine and have the fault codes read out. Common failings are No3 EGT sensor, MAP sensor and the wiring (water ingress), EGR cooler unit too. And some less common ones,but 9 times out of 10 it'll be one of them 3

I've had this twice - once was the MAF sensor (requiring a software flash), once was the EGT sensor (requiring a replacement).  Didn't the garage let you know what the codes were that they were clearing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with the OBD code P0407, sensor 'B' circuit low.

I have reset it and the car drives fine for a short time and than it reappears and back we go into limp mode.  Not only is this very annoying but it is also dangerous to drive a car that suddenly drops into limp mode without warning.  The sudden loss of power at 70mph or when overtaking is potentially fatal.

Why not simply register the fault in the ECU without going into limp mode, therefore ensuring that the car is safe to drive until the fault is fixed.  The car drives normally when the code is cleared, so how serious is the fault anyway?

The dealer states that the EGR valve is faulty and will cost £600 all in to fix.  I have driven 4k in this car since purchased at 30k and have had nothing but trouble with it so far.  There seems to be so many sensors in the EGR system that the mechanics themselves are unsure which one is causing the fault, I have taken the car to a number of garages to run diagnostics and none of them seem to have a clue as how to identify the culprit.

I have asked the dealer to supply the diagnostic readout identifying specifically the EGR valve is at fault and have had all sorts of excuses as to why they cannot show me.  Poor engine design and poor dealerships, is this how Skoda's new found popularity will end?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to the Forum and very worried. I have had similar problems to those decribed with my 2010 Fabia 1.6 TDI. Glow plug flashing after some time driving, engine warning light on and recently dpf warning light. This morning I noticed that the tail lights were not working, I do not know if this is related.

I live in the Derby area, near Swadlincote. Does anyone own a code reader that they would be prepared to plug my car into? Alternatively, could anyone recommend an honest and reliable diagnostic service in this area?

Hi Confused

in your case you could be lucky - the very fact that the rear brake lights are not working points to a faulty brake light switch. (This switch also doubles up as a fault line for other functions)

Get this item sorted, and you could possibly be out of the mire!

In my case (sadly) after 18 months of warning lights and going into limp mode from new - and no cure from skoda, I gave up and ditched the car!!! and went petrol instead (with assistance from the dealer and Skoda UK it must be said).

Edited by 2ndskoda

Hi 2ndskoda,

The brake lights are still working, only the tail lights have gone. I heard that the brake lights  could cause problems, especially on the Mark 1. Do the tail lights have the same effect?

Have now had it on scanner. It came up with EGR, EGT and pressure sensor faults. It also registered 28 grams ash in DPF. Does this sound a lot? Is it terminal? Looks like it will cost 1000 to fix!

60g ash is the maximum. Are you sure that wasn't 28% soot? What mileage has the car done?

If you clear the codes do any come back?

It could just a problem with a sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Dealer definitely said 28g of ash. He switched codes off with VCDS but glowplug light came back on the way back after about 10 miles of slow traffic. No others have come back on as yet. I had it MOTd yesterday and I asked the guy to put it on his system to check. No warning lights were on at the time and he could not find a fault. He also said that he had tried to regen but he could not and he thought this was because it was registering as very low in dpf. He said he used Snap-on but that he had up to date VWG codes.  However, this morning I drove to work and the glowplug light came on after about 20 miles of motorway driving. It did not go into limp mode. Any ideas?

Yes I have been using the motorway to get to work and back, I was recommended to try third gear for about 30 miles by a friend keeping it at 2500. I did this last Friday and lights stayed off. However, yesterday (had day off on Monday) I drove to work again on motorway and coil light came on again after about 30 minutes of high rev driving. Thereafter, on the way home last night, it stayed off until I was almost back. It only came on when I had to reduce revs as I was on an A road. This morning I have just driven into work and the coil has come on after about 2 miles, then the engine light came on and has stayed on! Anyone know of anyone with a VCDS in the Derby area who is around next week?