power for aftermarket reverse camera

Hello all need some help advice ,

i have recently purchase and after market audio system which reverse camera after following the instruction i connected the camera which work fine but only with the engine of ( key in on position) but will not work when the car is running.

The plus is connected to a cable that is used for the tow bar(also after market) which runs directly to the Battery, do i need a different power source or is there something else i'm not seeing .

http://www.auto-hifi4you.de/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=38&id=90&artlang=de

post-14928-0-57448100-1393436842_thumb.jpg

post-14928-0-12222000-1393436893_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well tried that and still no joy the camera works fine when only the ignition is on but  as soon as i turn on the engine , Nothing have tried on various places the only place i've not tried is the directly to the reversing fuse if anyone can help please let me know 

I recently fitted a reverse camera to my Octavia Estate, and had a few issues with interference lines on the screen. You will probably find 3 cables for the power, one will be a positive feed, one a switched feed and an earth.

Make sure the earth is attached firmly to the bodyshell, NOT to an existing earth wire. This is because the majority of the wiring in the car is controlled by the car's canbus system, and not directly connected to the battery supply.

The obvious place to take the switched and positive supply is from the reversing light circuit -- but don't! This is where my interference came from, as it is not a "clean" source of power. Even when taken direct to the battery terminals, the interference was bad, and  I had to look for other sources of power.

I found that the best place to take the power from is from the boot interior light -- connect both positive and switched wires together, and connect them to the red/white lead of the nearside boot interior light. I found this is a "clean" supply, and gives no interference at all when the engine is running.

Do not worry about any battery drain, as the power to the boot lights is cut by the convenience controller within a few minutes of the ignition being switched off.

My camera has been wired like this for a few months now, and I have had no problem at all with it.

attachicon.gif20131108_2123011.jpg

Mike

I have mine set up exactly the same as mikes and mine is also fine.

You could you a relay to trigger the power if you only want it to work when reverse is selected.

looking at the diagram on the camera link I think it works this way :-

They have fed an extra camera power feed wire into the video cable that goes from the camera to the head unit.

So the way to connect it up will be connect the yellow video feed to the camera and to the head unit, then connect the red with that comes out of the yellow plug to the reverse trigger wire on the head unit (mine is pink) then connect the other red wire coming out of the yellow plug at the camera end to the red plug on the camera. This should then all work when you put the car in reverse.

John

the problem i'm having is not interference the camera goes of as soon as i turn the engine on

i tried just pushing the cable into the socket to test  but with the same result or do i have to have to plug plugged in to light for it to work ? 

i am trying as you say but something is going wrong and it's driving me mad please help before i go of on one lol

any help clear instructions /picture would really be appreciated before i go and pay some one like with the radio .

Derek 

post-14928-0-87265700-1395169506_thumb.jpg

post-14928-0-30415300-1395169554_thumb.jpg

post-14928-0-17608000-1395169593_thumb.jpg

looking at the diagram on the camera link I think it works this way :-

They have fed an extra camera power feed wire into the video cable that goes from the camera to the head unit.

So the way to connect it up will be connect the yellow video feed to the camera and to the head unit, then connect the red with that comes out of the yellow plug to the reverse trigger wire on the head unit (mine is pink) then connect the other red wire coming out of the yellow plug at the camera end to the red plug on the camera. This should then all work when you put the car in reverse.

John

john i have connected those cables as is the instructions say head unit red cable to head unit the other loose red cable to the reverse light the earth on the power cable (red/black cable) to the earth stud , just the red power cable is the problem i've tried all the obvious places and it works with the ignition on clear screen but as soon as i turn the engine on the camera goes of ???????? any help appreciated i have posted photos of the wiring bellow 

• 3 weeks later...

hello all, 

well was back on the reverse camera today using a volt meter on the boot light LHS  connected the power cable + to this and now the camera works perfectly but only when it will so i'm getting there maybe it just the head unit (wasn't the most expensive ) will keep an eye on it and see how i go 

Thanks for all the advice and help 

• 2 years later...
On 2/26/2014 at 23:43, mikeholroyd said:

I recently fitted a reverse camera to my Octavia Estate, and had a few issues with interference lines on the screen. You will probably find 3 cables for the power, one will be a positive feed, one a switched feed and an earth.

Make sure the earth is attached firmly to the bodyshell, NOT to an existing earth wire. This is because the majority of the wiring in the car is controlled by the car's canbus system, and not directly connected to the battery supply.

The obvious place to take the switched and positive supply is from the reversing light circuit -- but don't! This is where my interference came from, as it is not a "clean" source of power. Even when taken direct to the battery terminals, the interference was bad, and  I had to look for other sources of power.

I found that the best place to take the power from is from the boot interior light -- connect both positive and switched wires together, and connect them to the red/white lead of the nearside boot interior light. I found this is a "clean" supply, and gives no interference at all when the engine is running.

Do not worry about any battery drain, as the power to the boot lights is cut by the convenience controller within a few minutes of the ignition being switched off.

My camera has been wired like this for a few months now, and I have had no problem at all with it.

Mike

post-37410-0-98064400-1393447604_thumb.jpg

Hi,

but how the camera will be triggered if you didn't connect it to the reverse power line?

• 3 weeks later...

I got a video rca with a live wire together connected the live to the headunit theres was a wire marked r cam that went live when reverse is selected then connected the other end to the camera and earthed onto a bolt in the boot area it all works fine no interference. On another car the owner wanted to be able to switch the camera on and off when he wanted so used  the same rca cable with live ran a ignition controlled wire from the fuse box and fitted a switch so the camera can be flicked on when he wants or left turned off all the time. One of those methods might work for you.