DPF Light on

New to the DPF , light has come on and book says drive in 4/5 at x revs for 15 min. Does this work and how long before the filter needs changing and what kind of cost are we talking. Also is it a MOT failure ?

New to the DPF , light has come on and book says drive in 4/5 at x revs for 15 min. Does this work and how long before the filter needs changing and what kind of cost are we talking. Also is it a MOT failure ?

The DPF is part of the exhaust system. If it needs changing you wont get any change from £1000, probably have to add more to it tbh.

Following the method in the handbook does work, basically all you need to do is take it for a quick blast so the dpf can warm up enough for it to perform a regeneration.

The dpf is there mainly so you dont kick out loads of black smoke in the towns/cities. The other reason is to make money for the dealers for when they go wrong. 

Hi , firstly I don't think the DPF is "a plug in filter" (by the way what is that ?) an MOT failure is the most of my worries as I need my car. So looks like a blast as per the manual should clear it and if not some £££ need to be spent , guy at work has advised some DPF additive or Redex , anyone tried that ? How long does the DPF usually last ? I'm at 128K

Try taking for a good run . If it doesn't cure it then get a diagnostic test done it. It may be a sensor, if it is the dpf then they are very expensive to fix. It is cheaper to have it mapped out but it is illegal..

I agree with taking it for a long run, I have read that you shouldn't thrash the engine as this gives a negative effect and can make matters worse, engine produces even more soot.

Otherwise find a friendly Briskodian with VCDS near you and see if they will scan the car and do a forced regeneration.

Regeneration never fully cleans the dpf, I believe they eventually build up to a point where they have to be replaced, I hope it is not the case here.

*comes back*

They are Dunlop SP 3000A 205's.

I like them...

Confusingly the soot content is recorded as % whilst the ash content is in grams. 5g seems wrong for a car with 110k, mine has 35g after 80k odd. Maximum is 60g so I'm assuming around 150k before I have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Confusingly the soot content is recorded as % whilst the ash content is in grams. 5g seems wrong for a car with 110k, mine has 35g after 80k odd. Maximum is 60g so I'm assuming around 150k before I have issues.

The gremlins have struck again, I was trying to respond to Huskoda.

I have VCDS so I'll plug the laptop in and see what's what. What is the max figures prior to replacement ?

60g, its measuring block 068 or around that number that tells you the ash content.

Yes, it surprised me too, but I try keep the car above 2k RPM at all times and very, very rarely sit in traffic during my commute.

Yes, it surprised me too, but I try keep the car above 2k RPM at all times and very, very rarely sit in traffic during my commute.

Still doesn't seem right, the dpf regeneration is not 100% efficient and even with purely passive regents you would have more ash than that. Unless is what 5% soot loading at the time it was scanned.

Still doesn't seem right, the dpf regeneration is not 100% efficient and even with purely passive regents you would have more ash than that. Unless is what 5% soot loading at the time it was scanned.

There was some DPF work carried out some time before I bought the car, but I don't think it was a replacement. I'm sure it was a forced regen. Either way, its given me no trouble :)

Having scanned the car and following advice in here of going to blocks 068 and 070 and 075 I get info but nothing referring to soot/ash , only a % Lambda and a number with no reference (in 068). Are these the figures I'm looking for ?