Skoda YETI 1.2 TSI and famous chain rattle

kovo

Hello,

there's known issue with chain on early production (until mid. 2011) TSI 1.2 engines. It manifests itself with cold-start chain rattle and even management light turning on, due to elongation of a chain.

In my case after about 15.000km I could hear sometimes the chain making noise upon the start. In the beginning it was not that often, but after a while it got louder and more often. Only difference that it never happened on cold start, but only if engine was stopped for 30-60min (I would say that engine was still warm). Also I noticed that it was more often during warm days (over 20C).

I took the car couple of time to a service (as it was still under warranty) but as it usually happens, mechanic couldn't hear the noise... After a couple of visits they could hear it and I got new chain set replaced. That was at about 19.000km. After that the noise was gone, all was fine until after another 15.000km. The same symptoms now at 34.000km. Rattle noise upon startup, but the same as before, only when engine was stopped for 30-60min.

Not sure what to now, it's not a solution to change the chain every 15k...

So I wonder if anyone had/has similar issue with 1.2 TSI

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the car, no other issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the help

Hi Kovo, you mention that engines up to mid 2011 might be affected. Are you aware of any documentation that gives any detail of this. Mine is December 2010, no problems yet but I'm keen to know if it might have problems later on.

Hi Kovo, you mention that engines up to mid 2011 might be affected. Are you aware of any documentation that gives any detail of this. Mine is December 2010, no problems yet but I'm keen to know if it might have problems later on.

Hi, I had printout of official skoda document describing the issue (got it in the service). It was stated that not every engine would have the given issue, but only some. It's due to bad production of the chain installed. 

Had it with mine, it took out the engine at 55000 miles. They fitted a new chain and tensioner and it hasn't been a problem. Fuel consumption is a bit better too now

Was your issue happening on cold start or as in my case? 

My experience with my 2010 1.2 SE DSG Yeti  is similar to Kovo's - the timing chain first rattled loudly on a warm start up about a year ago with about 13k miles on the clock.  It now sounds a bit 'dieselly' on most start ups but not sufficient to warrant a trip to the dealer.  

Also the DSG has been noticeably less smooth over the past year or so. For these reasons I took out a 2-year extended warranty and will not keep the Yeti beyond 5 years. I sold a 15-year old Subaru Legacy last week which I ran from (virtually) new with almost no faults but don't have the same faith in the Yeti (it broke down in the first year with the HT lead problem and left my wife seriously stranded). I'm a huge Yeti fan but replaced the Subaru with an Auris Hybrid estate which is a nice car (and returned 69mpg on the 70 mile trip home from the garage!)

My 59 plate does it occasionally. It's more like a growl though and the revs rise briefly for a second or two. It's already had a timing chain recall with water pump replacement plus turbo replacement and then later a turbo shim fitted. I love the 1.2 tsi engine. It's fantastic. I came from a mondeo 163bhp titanium sport diesel and I rarely miss it. In future I've got my eyes on an Octavia mk 3 with the updated tsi engine because I believe they're belt driven now.

My experience with my 2010 1.2 SE DSG Yeti  is similar to Kovo's - the timing chain first rattled loudly on a warm start up about a year ago with about 13k miles on the clock.  It now sounds a bit 'dieselly' on most start ups but not sufficient to warrant a trip to the dealer.  

Also the DSG has been noticeably less smooth over the past year or so. For these reasons I took out a 2-year extended warranty and will not keep the Yeti beyond 5 years. I sold a 15-year old Subaru Legacy last week which I ran from (virtually) new with almost no faults but don't have the same faith in the Yeti (it broke down in the first year with the HT lead problem and left my wife seriously stranded). I'm a huge Yeti fan but replaced the Subaru with an Auris Hybrid estate which is a nice car (and returned 69mpg on the 70 mile trip home from the garage!)

I am also a huge Subaru and Toyota fan, having owned several of each make with no issues at all. Still have a (very) soft spot for my previous Yeti though, hence why I keep an eye on what's happening on here in Yeti world!

Was your issue happening on cold start or as in my case? 

It was a cold start rattle like yours. Despite the problems still love the car and will probably get another 1.2 when I can afford to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping the Yeti 1.2 beyond warranty is just too risky. Great in parts yes,but could the problems stem from engine being underpowered and having to work too hard?

Keeping the Yeti 1.2 beyond warranty is just too risky. Great in parts yes,but could the problems stem from engine being underpowered and having to work too hard?

The engine was quite innovative at launch back in 2009, reverting to 8 valves rather than 16 (less weight), having a water instead of air cooled inter-cooler and an electrically actuated waste-gate. The engine has had one or two issues which have been ironed out over time with updated parts, so the newer the engine then hopefully the more reliably it will be.

However the Octy III has a totally new generation of small TSI with a belt replacing the chain, 16 valves instead of 8 but retaining the electrical waste-gate and water inter-cooler.

TP

I'll also not keep my Yeti beyond the 5 year extended warranty period for the same reason, which is a shame as it'll only have 30k on the clock and I'd intended to keep it long term. I'd like another Yeti but the replacement car will depend on reliability reports over the next 18 months. Interesting information (as always) from TP regarding the new generation TSI (will this be available on the Yeti?).  I don't think the chain (or turbo) issues are a result of the engine being over-stresed but others will no doubt have more informed views!

vRS G60,

The timing chain problem was fixed, and your engine is a modified version of the same engine in which this issue is not expected to occur. Enjoy your new 1.2 TSI engine!

vRS G60,

The timing chain problem was fixed, and your engine is a modified version of the same engine in which this issue is not expected to occur. Enjoy your new 1.2 TSI engine!

It aint new. It's a 60 plate.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

there's known issue with chain on early production (until mid. 2011) TSI 1.2 engines. It manifests itself with cold-start chain rattle and even management light turning on, due to elongation of a chain.

In my case after about 15.000km I could hear sometimes the chain making noise upon the start. In the beginning it was not that often, but after a while it got louder and more often. Only difference that it never happened on cold start, but only if engine was stopped for 30-60min (I would say that engine was still warm). Also I noticed that it was more often during warm days (over 20C).

I took the car couple of time to a service (as it was still under warranty) but as it usually happens, mechanic couldn't hear the noise... After a couple of visits they could hear it and I got new chain set replaced. That was at about 19.000km. After that the noise was gone, all was fine until after another 15.000km. The same symptoms now at 34.000km. Rattle noise upon startup, but the same as before, only when engine was stopped for 30-60min.

Not sure what to now, it's not a solution to change the chain every 15k...

So I wonder if anyone had/has similar issue with 1.2 TSI

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the car, no other issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the help

Did you find out anything? I have exactly the same problem, only on 2.0 TSI engine. I'm thinking that it could be somehow related to the oil? 

Greets.

Did you find out anything? I have exactly the same problem, only on 2.0 TSI engine. I'm thinking that it could be somehow related to the oil?

Greets.

M

Have a read of the thread below. The 2.0/1.8TSI engine has a know timing chain tensioner problem which can lead to major engine failure. If I were you I would get the timing chain rattle investigated sooner rather than later.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

Have a read of the thread below. The 2.0/1.8TSI engine has a know timing chain tensioner problem which can lead to major engine failure. If I were you I would get the timing chain rattle investigated sooner rather than later.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

I'm getting tensioner upgrade done in the next week. But as far i know the chain tensioner rattle on 1.8/2.0 TSI's only occurs when starting cold engine and i'm only getting the rattle when my car is sitting warm for about 45 to 60 min, same as the author of this thread. 

You have not mentioned mileage but could the problem be a worn timing chain? The chain was revised early this year and I assume you are having that changed too?

No, i was thinking of getting just the tensioner done. I have only 29000 miles on my car. My mechanic said that we'll see if the chain needs to be changed too when we'll be getting the tensioner done. 

I found a person on the german board who has the same problem as me. Rattle on his car appeared after oil change, so i assume that this could be somehow related to the oil. I have Aral 5W-30 long life oil in my car at the moment, but my car didn't have the long life intervals before. 

My 1.2tsi was 3 years old yesterday and a few weeks ago I started noticing a slight rattle on start up. I was a mechanic in a previous life and felt this was the start of the dreaded chain problem. Anxious to get my fears logged before the warranty expired I took it in to the local dealer to check it out. I was told by the dealer that Skoda had issued a service bulletin saying that a rattle on cold start up was caused by a valve (waste gate??) in the turbo that had to be a loose fit due to expansion issues and when it heated up the noise would disappear. I'm not totally convinced by this explanation and await developments! It's a shame VW don't own up to the fact they have a problem with this engine and do the honourable thing.

I hope the car lasts another year or so without issues but having spent the best part of £20,000 on a vehicle I didn't expect to be fearful of the 4th year of ownership!

I really like the car and always thought I would replace it with another Yeti when the time came and possibly will dependent on the next 12 months :think:

By the way, it's coming up to 16000 miles   

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My Yeti 1.2TSI had been suffering from this chain rattle since about 30000 miles. Now at 57000miles and 3 1/2 years old Skoda have replaced free it as a Goodwill gesture - Well done Skoda and Sinclair Swansea who carried out the work perfectly ( and may have had to contribute to the repair - Skoda 70% labour 100% parts) - Sinclair washed and vacuumed the car as well. I recommend this garage.

• 1 year later...

YETI TIMING CHAIN

My yeti has done less than 35000 miles and up to now has had two chains and a new dsg gearbox clutch pack.

BEAWARE --- Before buying a 1.2 tsi Yeti you know what your letting your self in for.

There is at present a bill of £1606 to be paid for which is being disputed by me.

Skoda extended warranty think about doing it look else where first

Hope this has been of help to some one