Drivers side rear door lock, please help.

Hi all. Here is the story:

I have a mk2 Octavia, 56 Reg fsi ambiente 1.6L. The rear drivers side door has not been locking recently so I removed the interior door trim, drilled the rivets out of the panel with the window winder attached, finally managed to replace the locking module with one from eBay (Okzam auto). Tried the lock prior to installing and great it worked. Then installed the lock and it stopped working. I then unplugged and plugged the lock back in and it worked again, But only once. The window will now not work and I'm still without a locking rear door. What do you guys think I should do next? Do you think I purchased a faulty lock? Could I have a wiring fault? How could I check this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers. Ade

Could well be a wiring issue, fairly common for wires inside the rubber bellows that run between the door and the b pillar to break because of how frequently they are moved/flexed when opening and closing there door.

Thanks for the reply. So should I just get a multimeter on the cables and test them for power? How difficult would it be to replace a cable going through the b pillar? Cheers. Ade.

Difficult to say really. First basic thing to do would be pull the rubber bellows back and examine all the wires inside, sometimes they are physically, visibly broken. Then it's really more continuity you want to test for, door card off and check for continuity on each wire between the connector at the b pillar and the connector on the door module. Battery disconnected whilst doing that. Worth having a look in the diagnostics sub forum to see if anyone near you could scan with vcds, this might isolate the exact issue for you. If you find a cable that is broken it's not too much of a job to splice in a repair, however if it is your canbus cables (and it would be both of them, otherwise the controls would still operate in single wire mode) then repairs to these need to be to a certain spec and tolerance which is documented online