Towing electrics, direct connect, bypass relay or specific electrics ?

Looking to fit a towbar

Appears to be confusion regarding electrics.  One supplier states "Bypass Relay: Not Required"

I have a 2008 Mk1 Superb.  It has light checking (dash tells you if a bulb is faulty).

I am assuming I at least need a bypass relay to protect the light circuit and stop unnecessary false "bulb failure" messages

Maybe Skoda already thought of this and I can connect direct to the existing wiring without any interface

I assume the "vehicle specific" unit is a CAN module so you get the addition light on the dash showing trailer light operation and disabling of the reverse sensors when towing ?

Anybody have experience ?    Please advise.    Thanks in advance for your helpful replies

Edited by langtone

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought one with bypass relay, (my actual witter towbar came with basics single electrics which are apparently ok also) but need a competent electrician to wire it up to my 2006 model.  I tried to get a plug in dedicated one but they seem to be discontinued. 

I had mine fitted by a towbar professional.  He used some kind of module which doesn't interfere with bulb failure alarms and the trailer flasher confirmation (legal requirement) is a beeper in the boot.  I know that the official Skoda kit for a 2006 Superb involves ripping out a load of trim and running wires back to the fusebox.  The stuff of nightmares.

• 4 weeks later...

Just fitted mine last weekend with bypass relay, and everything ok.  I have CD changer in boot so took power from that and earthed to the nuts that secure light cluster, also there is a nice little compartment under the cd changer big enough to place the relay, the wires from relay go to the light clusters, just had to run two wires across to drivers side for indicator and tail lamp underneath the trim.  It is easy to identify the correct wires to tap into by looking at the bulb holders.  Then the wires to towbar socket just connect to the relay.  There is a grommet on left side suitable for passing the wire to the outside of the car.   I used those scotchlock things and all working ok. My towbar is a Witter from PF Jones and was easy to fit, the only difference to fitting instructions was that the rearmost pre drilled holes for the side arms already have captive nuts, but they were the correct thread for the bolts supplied.  If you are anywhere near Towcester, I can help.

• 2 months later...

No bypass relay was required,  just standard connections to existing light loom :happy:

Did add in a directional buzzer -  fixed neatly under the parcel shelf 

Edited by langtone