Octavia II EGR valve cleaning

I have a new to me 2007 Ovtavia Scout and spent the last month refurbishing it with new disc and pads  timing belt servicing it changing all the fluid and getting my old mk1 Octavia Estate ready for sale. Sold the Mk1 on Friday and swapped the insurance - took the Scout out on Saturday and it dropped into limp home mode with the glow plug and EML light on -Damn or similar words ensue.

In fact it is worse than limp home absolutely no power so phoned local dealer WEST END GARAGE, BROXBURN whom I have a good relationship with having bought several cars from them and source my Skoda parts from them. After hours they plugged it into diagnosis machine which indicated a possible EGR valve fault and suggested blanking off the input side to confirm the fault.

I did this with a piece of aluminium plate I had and took it a run - much improved but would quickly drop into limp home mode with lights on but at least it was drivable, turning ign off and on would clear it long enough to prove all was working well until it logged an error.

So today got down to stripping out the EGR valve,

First off is the pipe from Intercooler

post-113088-0-11970100-1394401613_thumb.jpg

then the Intake Manifold Flap - 3 M8 Spline bolts

post-113088-0-29327100-1394401692_thumb.jpg

Just to get this out

post-113088-0-26192200-1394402061_thumb.jpg

Cam Cover off _ Torx 30 bolts 

post-113088-0-56362900-1394401749_thumb.jpg

Need to keep dirt and rain out  - I used a carrier bag as it was handy

post-113088-0-58967700-1394401888_thumb.jpg

which allows access to the lower EGR manifold bolt - Torx 30 bolts

post-113088-0-83599600-1394401934_thumb.jpg

Exhaust Input pipe - M10 Spline 

post-113088-0-08620400-1394401996_thumb.jpg

Stripped the EGR valve off and cleaned it all up using small screwdriver brake cleaner and scotchbrite 

post-113088-0-29761200-1394402249_thumb.jpg

post-113088-0-03724300-1394402296_thumb.jpg

post-113088-0-23614800-1394402344_thumb.jpg

post-113088-0-23614800-1394402344_thumb.jpg

post-113088-0-20808100-1394401801_thumb.jpg

Edited by smc998
  • Like 1

post-113088-0-01557000-1394402700_thumb.jpg

Can't load any more pics, exceeded limit

Replacement in the reverse order from removal - I changed one of the Torx bolt for an Allen headed bolt as this was easier to replace using an right angled key - did not have Torx equivalent.

I also punched a 11mm hole in the Exhaust Inlet pipe gasket which had previously been blanked, believe this was the cause of the glow plug light coming on due to lack of flow. 

Retested and glow plug light stayed off and full performance restored - EML light went off after restart

Happy Days

Inlet Manifold could do with cleaning but did not want to disturb the carbon in situ so left for the time being. 

Edited by smc998
  • Like 3

Good guide and interesting pictures, just shows you how much crud accumulates on the EGR valve on a relatively new car.  I should have done this to my Fabia mark 1 1.9 TDi PD but sold the car on Friday and I believe the new owner is going to fit a EGR delete pipe etc.  :thumbup:

Out of interest, the picture of the engine with the rocker off looks like a 1.9TDi PD engine rather than the 2.0 TDI PD.

There looks to be only one camshaft and 8 valves rather than 2 camshafts and 16 valves.

Thank you for the guide.

I have a similar problem with my EGR so I cleaned it with carb cleaner but no good, I was going to strip it down but wasn't to sure on how to go about this. But now looking at those pictures I feel a bit more confident to have a go now. I may have a go at it sometime very soon.

Many thanks Gerry.

• 2 months later...

Good morning.

I would just like to say thanks to all the people who have added tips etc.

I cleaned my egr last night(sorry no pics) found the exhaust port filled with carbon build up to the level of the gasket surface so obvioulsy it was not letting any gasses into the inlet manifold. the rest was dirty and gunked up prob only 10-15%

3/4 of a can of wynns carb cleaner a tooth brush and a scraper and hey presto clean egr.

took way too long, but could easily do it in an hour if i needed to again. first time always takes longer as you figure out access etc etc.

Biggest nightmare was getting the inlet pipe back onto the EGR housing just couldnt get the blasted clip to clip properly.

I learnt so will advise that a small pair of mole grips worked a treat pulling the pipe into the housing allowing the clip to seat with a flat bladed driver to make sure it was seated. repeated for the other side job done.

Also figured out where my supposed oil leak was coming from, the inlet pipe was only clipped on one side so at least 50k of driving with one side not clipped letting gasses flow past and oil and crap coming out over the front of the engine. so cleaned up and hopefully the car will be cleaner.

The car now idles smoother and had my blast to work in sport mode this morning definitely a smoother engine.

i vow neve to put supermarket fuel in again and to put some fuel system cleaner through and maybe some additional egr cleaner to try and get some of the inlet manifold gunk cleared over time as well as keeping the EGR clean.

Edited by mroberts

Good morning.

I would just like to say thanks to all the people who have added tips etc.

I cleaned my egr last night(sorry no pics) found the exhaust port filled with carbon build up to the level of the gasket surface so obvioulsy it was not letting any gasses into the inlet manifold. the rest was dirty and gunked up prob only 10-15%

3/4 of a can of wynns carb cleaner a tooth brush and a scraper and hey presto clean egr.

took way too long, but could easily do it in an hour if i needed to again. first time always takes longer as you figure out access etc etc.

Biggest nightmare was getting the inlet pipe back onto the EGR housing just couldnt get the blasted clip to clip properly.

I learnt so will advise that a small pair of mole grips worked a treat pulling the pipe into the housing allowing the clip to seat with a flat bladed driver to make sure it was seated. repeated for the other side job done.

Also figured out where my supposed oil leak was coming from, the inlet pipe was only clipped on one side so at least 50k of driving with one side not clipped letting gasses flow past and oil and crap coming out over the front of the engine. so cleaned up and hopefully the car will be cleaner.

The car now idles smoother and had my blast to work in sport mode this morning definitely a smoother engine.

i vow neve to put supermarket fuel in again and to put some fuel system cleaner through and maybe some additional egr cleaner to try and get some of the inlet manifold gunk cleared over time as well as keeping the EGR clean.

I've tried a variety of premium fuels and fuel system cleaners in mine over the years and when I had a look at the EGR valve recently it was just as gunked up as you describe yours as being! I don't think it's down to the fuel, it's just EGR is a terrible idea on diesels. I was quite tempted to blank mine off completely but on Euro IV diesels onwards it puts the engine management light on (unless you have the EGR mapped out), and I would find that too annoying to drive with all the time.

Yeah exactly problem is if you leave it on how would you know if something else went wrong? you wouldnt and that could be costly.

Better to clean and get the light out.

The reason i mention fuels is there have been debates on here about the additives and amounts of bio in premium as opposed to supermarket.i think the permiums use less bio and the supermarkets use more. I assume bio causes more soot etc.

I can afford it so better te devil you know i guess.

Nice work, smc998 - I performed this on my last diesel and it's surprising the amount of crap you can find!

I wonder if the procedure is similar for the common rail units?

I did my 1.9 TDi Altea at the weekend, was quite a fiddly job. The 2.0 8V TDI looks a bit of a mission, when I did my 2.0 16v TDi it was more straightforward. The 2.0 16v is a lot easier than the 1.9 TDi, have done quite a few of them also.

I know a lot of people are obsessed with EGR delete and mapping the light out, but in reality what does that cost? well north of £200 which i think is a lot of cash to gain not that much IMHO.

A good clean every 10 - 20k miles costs you just your own labour and some carb cleaner.

Lewwy

Edited by Lewwy

I know a lot of people are obsessed with EGR delete and mapping the light out, but in reality what does that cost? well north of £200 which i think is a lot of cash to gain not that much IMHO.

Yes I agree it's not really worth going to that expense.

On my older Euro II and III diesels I just disconnected the vacuum pipe from the EGR valve and plugged the end of the rubber pipe with a bolt. Instant EGR delete at zero cost, and it didn't bring on the engine management light on those. I must admit it was debatable if there was any real gain though, perhaps very very slightly less exhaust smoke, and the knowledge that the inlet manifold wasn't getting sooted up.

Nice work, smc998 - I performed this on my last diesel and it's surprising the amount of crap you can find!

I wonder if the procedure is similar for the common rail units?

I asked this on another forum (Audi) when I had the A4 170CR, the response that I got was that the engine was much cleaner and did not soot up the EGR anything like the Pd unit. If anyone has stripped and cleaned theirs I would be very interested in their results.

A mate has an Audi A8 with the 3.0 TD  CR engine and that looked pretty sooted up when he stripped it down.  Looks like same issue. It is down to the oily vapours from the crank case vent mixing with the hot (ish) exhaust gasses from the EGR cooler being passed back in to the inlet manifold I think.

As mentioned, Diesel engine 'undocumented design'!

On the 2.0 PD BKD engine I have used the EGR gasket from the SEAT's. This reduces the hole from the EGR to a much smaller diameter which slows the amount of EGR allowed in, but allows enough to keep the EML light off.

Work the couple of quid.

A mate has an Audi A8 with the 3.0 TD  CR engine and that looked pretty sooted up when he stripped it down.  Looks like same issue. It is down to the oily vapours from the crank case vent mixing with the hot (ish) exhaust gasses from the EGR cooler being passed back in to the inlet manifold I think.

As mentioned, Diesel engine 'undocumented design'!

Crank Case Vent mod (aka the Elephant mod) deals with the oily vapours issue :)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/100913-diy-guide-the-elephant-hose-ccv-catch-can-mod/?hl=ccv%20mod

Slightly off topic but I have P046C and P0407 fault codes on my CAYC engined Fabia 2 (1.6TDI 90HP). Has anyone cleaned an EGR on one of these? I understand they are a tad difficult to get off as they are connected to DPF etc.

Right, I'm going to have a crack at this at the weekend (if it's not raining!). I plan to install the blank-with-a-hole-in as it all goes back together.

Simple question: Where does it fit in? Or will it be blindingly obvious when I have everything apart?

Thanks

Alex

• 2 months later...

After a couple of goes, I got to swearing and leaving this. I now have two weeks off and intend to clean and semi-blank. My biggest problem is getting access to one of the M10 splines....it's the one in picture 7 that's out of sight. I can't actually get a key into that area as the pipe is in the way.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks. :)

If it is of interest, my EGR (PD170) only had 1-2mm of soot buildup (and even less inside the intake manifold, which I was replacing at the time) which I guess is thanks to mostly doing long trips and making frequent visits to the redline...

• 1 month later...