I don't believe it! Not another Yeti spare wheel question...

Gyp

Just a quickie;

If I'm reading partscats right, the 4WD Yeti comes with goo, compressor and a toolkit (jack etc) in the underboot thingy, but the 2WD Yeti comes with just the goo & compressor.

That right?

I ask as I'm watching a spare wheel kit on ebay (for 170 4x4) that has no tools. Seller says they are in the car already, but looking in the boot on mine (2WD), they're not.

• Like 1

Toolkit comes with the spare wheel kit, as does foam inserts and new false floor, standard fit is compressor and gunk only.

Thanks for that; looks like I'll pass on the ebay auction then.

My 4x4 doesn't arrive until after the auction ends so i can't be sure in advance

Toolkit comes with the spare wheel kit, as does foam inserts and new false floor, standard fit is compressor and gunk only.

And that is across the whole range.

Spare wheel, tool kit etc is a factory option at extra cost.

I'm pleased mine does not have the spare wheel purely based on available space. Looking at cars with spare wheel in the dealers the space left looks tiny.

And to balance that thought I am glad I have a spare wheel having suffered an unrepairable sidewall gash in tyre that had travelled less than 350miles from brand new, at least I could swop tyres and carry on with my journey.

• Like 3

Yes Andy you are right about getting stuck with no spare. My comment was purely on space. I can't remember the last time I had a car with a spare wheel. Probably 4 or 5 years ago. Used to worry about it but never think about it now. Sods law I'll get a puncture now that leaves me stranded.

Spottydog you are now officially jinxed mate LOL

But seriously my cars seem to be puncture magnets, but I am also aware that worn tyres are more susceptible than new ones, but sods law, with less than 350 miles in a brand new car and the side wall was completely ripped out. I did not hit a pothole or a kerb, one moment it was fine the next it had gone, luckily I was only doing 40mph at the time so no drama, except it was ****ing it down LOL.

Sorry for crapping your thread Gyp 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum today. I've searched and read as much as I can find about it, and am still baffled about spare wheels.  I'm interested in the SE Greenline II. I want a spare wheel - its no use telling me that I can call an emergency service when there's no mobile signal (or nearby house with a phone) for mile after mile in Argyll, where I mostly drive. Over the years I've too often had to change wheels, then drive 10 or 20 miles to a garage and order a tyre that may take many days to come.

I went to a Skoda dealer (200 miles round trip) and they didn't seem sure about whether I can have a spare wheel or not, but thought it likely that I would get a normal wheel as a spare as standard (not as an optional extra). The leaflet only says that Skoda won't supply a "space saver" on the Greenline models. So it's ambiguous about whether they will let me have any kind of spare wheel at all.

Will I just have to buy an extra 16" wheel with 205/55 tyre, resurrect my old jack, and assemble a few tools?

Will I just have to buy an extra 16" wheel with 205/55 tyre, resurrect my old jack, and assemble a few tools?

Welcome

It never fails to amaze me how clueless some dealers are about the product they sell!

The Greenline does not come with neither is it available with a spare wheel ... of any description, AIUI that covers ALL the Greenlines and not just the Yeti’s, its all down to the weight of the car to get the lower emissions / road tax for the Greenline. 

Some dealers however have ordered a spare wheel and toolkit (separately to the car) for their customers.

My VW Touran had no spare as it is a 7 seat, but did come with tin of gung and a jack. It runs on 205 55 R16. I was donated a new steel R15 rim by the parts dept that was destined for the scrap metal bin. I bought a 195 50 R15 tyre for £50 and store the set-up in an IKEA see through zip bag. I have carried this in the boot. In 10 years I have used it about 5 times, including a 600 mile tow back through France with a caravan on the back. I would not be happy without a spare.

Colin

Shouldn't that be a 195/65R15 tyre? The size difference between the original and your /50 is quite large, whereas the /65 is nearly the same size.

You are correct. The 65 profile gave me the same rolling diameter.

Colion

I have the raised boot floor in my yeti (140 4x4), am i right in thinking that if I bought the official spare it wouldnt fit?

I was thinking of finding a space saver that would fit, it'd only be used as a 'get me to the garage wheel'.

possible of will I die in a ball of flames?

I have the raised boot floor in my yeti (140 4x4), am i right in thinking that if I bought the official spare it wouldnt fit?

I was thinking of finding a space saver that would fit, it'd only be used as a 'get me to the garage wheel'.

That's definitely my undersanding; the variable boot floor isn't compatible with the spare wheel kit; mainly because the variable boot floor floor is thicker than the spare wheel kit floor as it has to be self supporting; the spare wheel floor relies on the spare wheel and some polystyrene boxes to support the boot load. Having the variable floor does not stop you changing to the spare wheel, you just can't have both at the same time.

The official spare kit does come with the new boot floor though, so if you were to buy that (circa £270 for wheel, jack, wheelbrace, wheel retaining device, polystyrene boxes, boot floor and fittings), you've be able to remove the variable boot floor kit.

I have to admit that I miss the variable floor that I had on my Octavias, as it provided quite a lot of additional storage space with minimal impact on the load area - actually it improved the load area as it made it flatter when the seats were folded. Now I've got the spare wheel kit in the Yeti I've lost quite a bit of boot space without gaining the under-floor space

Taking the variable one out and fitting the spare wheel kit should take about 20 minutes in total

Depending on your location I have a Golf space saver (the skinny type) that will be removed from the TT when it is sold.

Depending on your location I have a Golf space saver (the skinny type) that will be removed from the TT when it is sold.

Skinny type spare wheels are not Type Approved for the Yeti, and therefore you could be prosecuted using one.

I'm not bothered about spare tyres; in nearly 30 years of driving, I've only had one blowout (which was actually a rock induced separation from the rim), and all the rest of the time, all of my punctures have been slow.

This however does not mean I don't have lots of tyres, the Skoda has two sets of wheels (one of which is for sale and I have a set of new rims), and the MINI currently has four (albeit one set of rims and some soft gravel spec rally tyres are for sale...)

yeah thanks for that but with the number of uninsured, red light jumping, phone using ass hats round my parts I'd be happy to take my chances with a skinny space saver for 2 miles drive to event tyres.

Being blunt, but you are then becoming as bad since you are driving an illegal vehicle.

The load capacity of the skinny wheel is much lower than that of a Yeti, so you are overloading that wheel. It would also mean that you are only covered by Third Party Insurance, and it could lead you to being prosecuted and your car being impounded or even destroyed in the worst case scenario.

yeah thanks for that but with the number of uninsured, red light jumping, phone using ass hats round my parts I'd be happy to take my chances with a skinny space saver for 2 miles drive to event tyres.

Nice if you only drive within a 2 mile radius, what happens if you ever venture further afield? As said Skoda have never sold/approved the use of a skinny space saver for use on a Yeti.