Time to open a can of worms........... DSG or Manual?

Before buying my current, manual, Mk II Superb I drove a few (second hand) including one DSG. I have to say that it was a delight, and I was sorely tempted by it.

However as has been superbly summed up by silver1011 in post #17, I was acutely aware that there have been problems with the box, and, as I drive around 30,000 miles a year, with no warranty I wasn't prepared to take the chance that a gearbox failure would effectively write the car off costwise.

(Having just moved from a 2.0 PD Mk1  having 201,000 miles on the clock, with the dreaded reputation for destroying oil pumps followed immediately thereafter by the engine, I had spent the last 6 months with 1 eye on the oil warning light at all times. I couldn't face the next 4 years or so constantly listening in case the gearbox started whining.  :sweat:   )

• Like 1

I changed from 2012 Octavia Estate 2.0 TDI 140 manual to 2013 Superb Estate 2.0 TDI 140 DSG just 3 weeks ago.

It is the first DSG car I have driven but have driven many automatic and semi-automatic buses and coaches in the last 50 years.

The Octavia took me some getting used to as it was my first 6 speed box and when a HGV pulled out in front of me, making me brake, I got really confused trying to think which gear I should be in.

When I test drove the Superb I was surprised how smooth it was and soon got used to it, even if my left hand went to the gear selector a few times when I would normally have changed gear.

So far I can't fault it and can only think of one word for it.

SUPERB :love:

If you go for DSG can I recommend that you have hill hold control, if you are not a left foot braker, as it makes driving away on slopes much easier. Just ordered my 3rd Skoda with DSG - nuff said.

I do about 13,000 miles a day. I'm buying 2nd hand & probably without a warranty of any sort. So on this occasion in going to stick with Manual - but when I come to change it in about 4-5 years if I'm buying new next time then I'll look at the DSG again

Dsg in my opinion. We do a lot of towing with the caravan. Had a couple of test drives in auto's, but couldn't get on with the auto box changing up, then changing down, then up again etc when going up long hills.
With the DSG, select manual, stick in D,when approaching a long uphill bit, select manual, into 5th and no probs. Even drive all day with cruise control. Easy as that.
It's about time they put a brake button on the steering wheel, just like a play station controller :)

Edited by misterbee13

I had no choice - the 2.0TSI was only available with DSG. I probably wouldn't have chosen DSG as an option, but wouldn't be without it now

A spot on summary of what's good about DSG

+1!

DC

Have been speaking to warranty express they assure me that DSG is fully covered with no wear and tear exclusion , not cheap but will be money well spent with regard to any DSG issues I  will be towing my caravan down to the Costa del Sol  next month , first drive with DSG  on that trip, looking forward to giving my left leg a rest.  A  previous  poster said he did not like the DSG changing gear going up hills  should that be a problem ? I thought that is what that is supposed to do select the right gear depending on the load on the engine.

Have been speaking to warranty express they assure me that DSG is fully covered with no wear and tear exclusion , not cheap but will be money well spent with regard to any DSG issues

Care to share please?

PM if preferred.

Something I will need to do when my 12 months warranty runs out on my new car

Have been speaking to warranty express they assure me that DSG is fully covered with no wear and tear exclusion , not cheap but will be money well spent with regard to any DSG issues I  will be towing my caravan down to the Costa del Sol  next month , first drive with DSG  on that trip, looking forward to giving my left leg a rest.  A  previous  poster said he did not like the DSG changing gear going up hills  should that be a problem ? I thought that is what that is supposed to do select the right gear depending on the load on the engine.

Correction , When misterbee was  stating gears kept changing up and down hills he was referring to a conventional auto box.

• Like 1

Care to share please?

PM if preferred.

Something I will need to do when my 12 months warranty runs out on my new car

You have PM regards  Mellyb

• Like 1

Dsg in my opinion. We do a lot of towing with the caravan. Had a couple of test drives in auto's, but couldn't get on with the auto box changing up, then changing down, then up again etc when going up long hills.

With the DSG, select manual, stick in D,when approaching a long uphill bit, select manual, into 5th and no probs. Even drive all day with cruise control. Easy as that.

It's about time they put a brake button on the steering wheel, just like a play station controller :)

When driving down to the costa del sol there are some very long hills why  not just leave it in D to sort itself out, I have thought that fuel consumption suffers in cruise . DSG certainly is great for towing . Happy caravanning . 

When driving down to the costa del sol there are some very long hills why not just leave it in D to sort itself out, I have thought that fuel consumption suffers in cruise . DSG certainly is great for towing . Happy caravanning .

I agree it's great for towing. It's just my personal preference.

ie. long uphill bit, in D, nearly to the top, revs start dropping, box changes down only to change back up again.

Or leave in M, box stays in 5th all the way.

Like I said, it's my personal preference

Great box, well pleased and economical too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it's great for towing. It's just my personal preference.

ie. long uphill bit, in D, nearly to the top, revs start dropping, box changes down only to change back up again.

Or leave in M, box stays in 5th all the way.

Like I said, it's my personal preference

Great box, well pleased and economical too.

OK Will give that a go. so it ok to switch to manual and back to D whilst on the move.

Edited by mellyboy

OK Will give that a go. so it ok to switch to manual and back to D whilst on the move.

Or you could try dropping it into S; doesn't change up so quickly then, I've found. You can switch however you like between D, S and M whilst on the move.

OK Will give that a go. so it ok to switch to manual and back to D whilst on the move.

Should have no probs with that.

I have found that it's more economical in M and in 5th on long motorway trips with cruise control.

Should have no probs with that.

I have found that it's more economical in M and in 5th on long motorway trips with cruise control.

Sound good rather  getting into  6th with the van in D on then keep dropping back to 5th , We are storing the van in Spain from this year , will be able to set cruise at max speed limit then blast down  the Spanish main  road  system in  future. , did take the van down to Dorset first tow with the superb last year just kept it in D there was a lot of gear changes  will definitely try the holding in M5  method I do get up to speed now in S.  Thanks for your advice Cheers MellyB

I was given good advice here about towing with the DSG when I was considering the Yeti, a couple of years ago.  Have a look at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/230223-towing-with-the-dsg/, if you're interested, especially my summaries in Posts #19 and 20.  Yes, it's the 140 diesel, and you've got a bit more in hand with the 170.  Personally, I'm not often conscious of the DSG shifting. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you certainly need to try it to appreciate it. I've had 2 DSG cars so far 2.0TSI vRS, and my 3.6 v6, the previous 4 Skoda's were manual!

Although I know I bought mine without actually trying DSG myself lol...! All cars drive differently but DSG also adapts to your driving style which could be a possibility that some owners or testers have had jerky moments? If your erratic off the lights itll work to your requirements, if your Miss daisy then it'll calm down. Usually itll take a whole drive to adapt them the next time your driving itll stay at that driving style. I think you can reset it if you turn the key without running the engine and holding the pedal down for so many seconds?

For example my mum always says her roomster is too keen to go after I've been driving it until she's driven it for a little bit. Her words are "its gone all zoomy!"

You can spec launch control with vcds I think too, something my rs had but the v6 doesn't!

I love the way you can shift up and down with paddles or the stick like a rally driver haha (its just the wrong way to what rally drivers do!!)

You can put it in manual and itll always keep it in your specific gear selection. Itll only change down if your coming to a halt but wont change up until you want it to..the best bit is you could be in 6th and you put your foot down and you'll be in 4th before you've blinked!

You can also remap dsg boxes to your benefit if your on about remaping the engine too, but im sure there are warranties you can buy for your dsg box.

That's my bit of info on the box :)

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

• Like 2