Rear interior light wiring mods

Hi all. After a few people asking how I got my interior light to work when opening the doors well here is a small tutorial of how I did the job.

I accept no responsibility if you try this and do any damage, this is for informational purposes only. [emoji6]

buzadu8y.jpg

Flip out the light. I use a hooked tool.

vusa6yha.jpg

Remove the black plug out of the light then take off the outer lens. Be careful here not to snap off the retaining lugs it is quite awkward.

nypumune.jpg

y7uvymer.jpg

Looing at the next 2 pics I had to remove the outer flat bar with snips this is from where it comes out of the switch and somewhere along the top and then solder the front bar to the back flat bar as I have done in the pic.

3e4a7yhe.jpg

You then need to solder your new wire to the spare lug

This is shown in the middle of the pic. Then feed the other end of the new wire through the black plug and push plug back into place

vezejeny.jpg

qyrudypa.jpg

Now somwhere along this wire you need to solder in a diode. I got this from maplin 99p its a (p600j diode).

Mine is soldered and wrapped in insulation tape as I had no heat shrink. The wire can now be fed through to the front I used an old wire coat hanger. I taped the wire to the end of it and pushed it through to the front.

pybyvuve.jpg

You now need to remove the lens off the front light. I used a small screw driver to do this.

e8aru4ys.jpg

Inside there is 2 x T15 torx screws that need removing. These are located either side of the main bulb.

u5eba7a4.jpg

yma7ujes.jpg

Once removed u need to pry out the light itself I used a small angled pry bar to do this

evusu4y4.jpg

At the back you will find the plug

You need to attatch your new wire that you just feed through from the back light to the brown with yellow striped wire thus is the one at the very end of the plug. I just stripped the wire back approx 6-7mm and pushed it into the terminal this was a tight fit so didnt have to cut any wires. I then taped the wires together as close to the terminal block as poss then the new wire would not come out. To be honest it was that tight it wouldnt come out anyway. I would of used one of them scotch block connectors but I didnt have one to hand.

yne6uqeh.jpg

Now re fit the light and replace the screws

e6a2edas.jpg

Push lens cover back in.

Job done !

Hope this helps you people.

Need help. Just ask

Ade

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Arabas trust me its faurky easy and you can do 75% of the work away from the car including all the soldering.

Great guide, as you say it may be easier to figure it out once you have an un-modified to compare it too. I've thinking for a while that it's about time I invested in a soldering and this could be a great excuse

I'll get round to doing this at some point, was hoping to do it soon but the other half's Golf sprung a leak in the radiator so I lost most of today and a couple of hundred quid. Spent ages bent over the front end trying to figure out how it all comes to bits, trying to do it without taking taking the air con system to bits - managed eventually and after I was done I didn't even have extra bits left over :P

So the light'll have to wait a wee while now.

Both lights come on on mine. Straight from factory

Sent using my right thumb

:x

arggghhh

they had to add this feature too in the later models, just to get on my nerves...

i m going to paint my Rapid Racing blue and drop it into the sea...

arggghhh

they had to add this feature too in the later models, just to get on my nerves...

i m going to paint my Rapid Racing blue and drop it into the sea...

I believe they mentioned in the tech specs that this modification was made to get on Arabas’ nerves ;-)

arggghhh

they had to add this feature too in the later models

Strangely wires rapid is a 2014 though??

Strangely wires rapid is a 2014 though??

...and a sport like mine.... Hmmm? Strange

(hmm didn't get notification... anyway:)

Hey there,

Everything is from factory!

Sorry you didn't get it too :(

I'm sure it's frustrating.

Maybe something can be done about it?

wire did mine for me this morning, thanks mate :) was nice to meet you

Your welcome thecko

Did you think about taking some pics?

• Like 1

@wire

Did you only use 1 single wire? It looks like you are connecting the negative in the back dome to the positive in the front dome. I tried this weekend and it turns on OK, but when i turn on the dome in back the front also turns on and this is in spite the diode, which i soldered to the positive wire. (my installation has dual wires)

@wire

Did you only use 1 single wire? It looks like you are connecting the negative in the back dome to the positive in the front dome. I tried this weekend and it turns on OK, but when i turn on the dome in back the front also turns on and this is in spite the diode, which i soldered to the positive wire. (my installation has dual wires)

Hi Cown,

Regards getting the light to work you only need 1 wire to sort this out. Read through this topic and copy exactly what I have done you won't go wrong m8. You can put a diode in the -ve wire of the installation you have done by the sound of it. This will stop the front light coming on because the current is making a circuit through this. Don't really know what you have done re the wiring without seeing it.

Cheers

Ade

• 1 year later...