Water ingress ( NOT usual suspects)

Hi guys

Had a problem over the winter with water ingress into the front passenger footwell, Did the normal, the grommit on the drivers side was blocked, obviously cleaned it out and actually waxed what i could to decrease dirt build up. Just had the pollen filter re sealed and tested with a hose, still got a small amount of water appearing on the inside of the car ( on the wheel arch) any ideas???? The plastic scuttle over the wipers has got some cracks but don't honestly think its that. Also checked door seals ( as this previously caused  a problem on drivers side.) Dont want to fix either the CCU or the joints to get the interior lights working again ( what told me there was a problem) until i've sorted the leak. Drivers side it fine BTW

Water on the wheelarch for me was pollen filter...  Are you sure it was done right?  

Do you have the rain channel fitted over the pollen filter?  Without that you will get water running in through the pollen filter itself.

Sunroof drains come down the pillar around the wheelarch and into the door jamb - if they have come off then sunroof drain could leak into car.

If you don't have the rain channel over the pollen filter that will be where your water is coming in - it is to prevent water running off the windscreen and onto the pollen filter.

It is kind of hard to see though with the windscreen scuttle trim on though - so you might have one ofter all.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/222200-pollen-filter-pictures-is-this-normal/?p=2614235

The rain channel is the top bit.  It is a little bit of a pain to get back in once taken out which I guess is why some cars end up without them...

No there definitely isn't one there,  the Pollen filter has nothing above the paper element,  I've had the car 5 years without problem, guess must have been the excessive rain this winter, cheers i will call the main stealer and see what they come up with.

Nope, back to the drawing board, checked today and its there tucked well underneath but there none the less. any more ideas? getting to the point where the only other thing i can try is slap silicone sealant everywhere i can think of.

You sure it is coming down over the front wheelarch?  Could it be from the door carriers whose seals fail and leak into the car?

If it is coming over the wheelarch it only really points to pollen filter, or a failed windscreen seal or body seam.  I would still go for the pollen filter housing not being sealed properly...

The sealing cord from VW does a much better job than silicone sealant.

No deff not the door, that was my first hope as it happened on drivers side, I'm veering towards the windscreen seal, interesting about the pollen filter though, you obviously know what you're talking about. When I phone Skoda main stealers they knew of the sealant part and told me they just use silicone sealant. 

Use the correct mastic strip for the pollen filter holder outer seal. It has to be the right cross-section to seal and mastic or silicone will not precisely fill the gap.

"Skoda" dealers are in ignorant denial of this and seemingly all other problems. The VW branded "Information update" (Technical Service Bulletin) is Info 443/06 which gives the full procedure. The sealing strip is AKD 497 010 04R 10 which is available from VW.

The spares availability from VW is excellent. My local "Skoda" dealer probably has his stock of Superb spares in a shoebox - he couldn't even sell me a bulb for the rear interior lamp.

rotodiesel.

What he said.  You could use mastic, and many do, but it is deceptive how much you would need - the channel needs completely full and maybe then some as the metal lip only goes up a bit.  The sealing cord I recall stands slightly proud of the filter housing channel when inserted and is squished onto the upturned metal lip.  

Also, depending on what you cleaned the area with beforehand you might have made it hard for the mastic to stick properly?  Particularly if you used a wax or similar.

My experience with Skoda dealers x2 is exactly as rotodiesel says - no parts and not much clue.  The supplying dealer didn't do any of the work they were supposed to do around water ingress, and the second one to look at it only took out the bungs without doing the pollen filter seal - and charged the original dealer £100 for the privilege.

If you were minded to revisit the filter seal (I know you think you got it, but fact is you have water coming into the car from roughly that area...) and can't get a sensible amount of the sealing cord out of your dealer, you can have some off me for postage money - the dealership would only sell me a whole box, as they have no use for it.  Words defeat me.

Edited by jimbof
  • Like 1

My local "Skoda" dealer probably has his stock of Superb spares in a shoebox - he couldn't even sell me a bulb for the rear interior lamp. rotodiesel.

My experience with Skoda dealers x2 is exactly as rotodiesel says - no parts and not much clue.  

Words defeat me.

I'll add a x3 to this.  Waited five minutes to be seen today at parts.  Walked out, came back an hour later.  I'd had to order the oil filter because they're 'not a stock item sir'.  The text to let me know it had arrived never happened (despite my name and number being on the box).  I asked them about oil and was a tad surprised that this is also not a stock item.  WTF??!!

I don't know what got into my head to think I'd get oil and a filter from Skoda, when VW are 200 yards away and probably have everything I need.

Back on topic, I was told that my pollen filter was resealed just before I bought the Superb.  Do I trust 'em? It's presumably not possible to check if it's been done without taking the housing off, which presumably means I need new cord to replace whatever's there.  This'll be preventative as I've no water ingress.

Gaz

Tricky one.  Well, you are welcome to some cord if you want it.  The cord is like black putty, I personally wouldn't re-use it as I have a ton of it, but it might be ok.  It could equally have been done with mastik in which case you might not be able to get it off...

• 3 years later...