anyone ever retrofitted a dsg?

tmg

Hey

so anyone ever retrofitted a DSG to a 170 4x4 pre-facelift? is it even possible?

Of coarse it is possible. The question is just how much money you want to spend. The much cheaper option is to sell your the present car, buy a 140 DSG with 4x4, and modify the software.

Even better: Buy a facelift 170hp 4x4.

It won't be a walk in the park, but it'd be doable

Why?!

Would be (much) cheaper to chip a 140 DSG and avoid all sorts of issues with DVLA, insurance etc. etc.

if you have a Manual 170 4x4 you already have the best option in my opinion :)

There are no issues from the DVLA or anyone else - simply inform the DVLA of a transmission change (just as you would tell them of a colour change) and they'll update their system which, in turn, updates the insurance company's system etc.

people change gear boxes to manual normally when the auto box fails, and the car is still good. 

People have done engine and 'box conversions so yeah it's possible... maybe very expensive to do. I'd just part ex and buy another but if it's the challenge you want go for it. 

Anything is doable - just look at any of BossFox's build threads!

Just of question of why would you want to, how much it would cost and the work involved. For the time and money, it would be far easier to replace the car.

• 8 months later...

hah

so coming back to this thread, and to answer the outstanding "why" questions. 

so enquiring as to cost to trade up to a new 2015 170 4x4 combi DSG with the same spec as my 2012 170 4x4 manual combi, the answer to why i was half interested in a gearbox swap is that it will cost me approximately 30k euro to change up.

in the meanwhile I've lived with the car a lot more, and have to say that the manual is growing on me, but still have a hankering for a DSG, as a lot of my driving is in town.  

I've talked to a few folks and it is possible but kinda unknown. the 4x4 170 didnt have a DSG in the pre-FL, so you would need a box & TCU from a facelift, which **should** fit but it would be a mega amount of faffing around and no-one is sure about the flywheel fitment, so there are unknowns too. all in all while its possible, its far too much work imho :( 

so there you have it.

Edited by tmg

hah

so coming back to this thread, and to answer the outstanding "why" questions.

so enquiring as to cost to trade up to a new 2015 170 4x4 combi DSG with the same spec as my 2012 170 4x4 manual combi, the answer to why i was half interested in a gearbox swap is that it will cost me approximately 30k euro to change up.

in the meanwhile I've lived with the car a lot more, and have to say that the manual is growing on me, but still have a hankering for a DSG, as a lot of my driving is in town.

I've talked to a few folks and it is possible but kinda unknown. the 4x4 170 didnt have a DSG in the pre-FL, so you would need a box & TCU from a facelift, which **should** fit but it would be a mega amount of faffing around and no-one is sure about the flywheel fitment, so there are unknowns too. all in all while its possible, its far too much work imho :(

so there you have it.

Sounds like an unbelievably complex job on the gearbox but have I read that right about the price?? If the new one is €45k (and that's assuming a combi L&K or similar) that means you are only been allowed approximately €15k on your 2012 trade in? That doesn't sound right and I'm comparing it to my three year old 170 manual hatch which I traded this time last year. I was certainly getting a lot more than that and mine had 125k km on the clock. I think You should be able to trade for less than €30k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately yes :(

I specced an elegance with the options wanted (the only additions over my own is 10 speaker, kessy, and YC4/Outdoor spec), and its coming in at around 51.5 k. my cars got 50k miles on it, and was offered mid 20's on it, so near as no difference 30k to trade up :(

(re: L&K being a cheaper route, it doenst work out much cheaper, and I cant live with the brown leather unfortunately - want black :)

unfortunately yes :(

I specced an elegance with the options wanted (the only additions over my own is 10 speaker, kessy, and YC4/Outdoor spec), and its coming in at around 51.5 k. my cars got 50k miles on it, and was offered mid 20's on it, so near as no difference 30k to trade up :(

(re: L&K being a cheaper route, it doenst work out much cheaper, and I cant live with the brown leather unfortunately - want black :)

Well that all makes more sense if its €51.5K with options.  It gets fairly pricey when you add the options!  I hate the brown as well but you can get ivory which I assume isn't an option for you?