Need help please. New is dead and I haven't got a clue :(

I need some help please.

I picked up an Octavia Elegance 52 plate with 165k on the clock 3 weeks ago. I've been running it on veg/unleaded blend totally fine with since I got it. I really don't think it is veg related. Cold starting has been fine and no excessive smoke on startup.

Yesterday was out and had been driving round town doing some shopping for about 40 mins in town traffic and temps etc were normal. Got out of town to head up to the motorway when suddenly at about 45/50 I thought I was leading the red arrows as I filled both lanes of the duel carriageway with whiteish smoke. It lost power about then to and after dipping the clutch to roll into a layby the engine had died. No oil warning lights or check engine lights showing.

Tried a restart and it wouldn't even turn over. Seemed like a totally flat battery. The recovery guy said he thought hydro locking due to white smoke and lack of ability to turn over but coolant level normal. He checked oil last night and it had oil in but checking this morning after checking a few things and trying to turn it, there isn't anything on the dipstick.

It was suggested by someone I know who regularly ferries VAG ex taxis around the country that a totally locked EGR can stop the car running.

I've popped the hose off and while oily around thd anti-shudder valve it doesn't look coked at all. I've tried removing the valve to inspect anx clean it but it appears I have the wrong shaped and sized hands (vaguely human with one wrist joint) to get an allen key in to some of the upside down bolts. I can just about squeeze two fingers under the EGR.

Now when you try to turn it over, it turns probably less than a quarter turn each time and after 3-4 jerks it stops all together with flat battery like symptoms.

While it was happening I first thought bugger head gasket. Then when it refused to turn I thought timing belt but recovery checked the belt and it was intact and seemed tensioned ok.

He said it sounded like hydolocking but said it could be a dropped valve or broken cam as he couldn't see the cam moving through the oil filler.

Any advice on getting this running again on little to no money gratefully accepted please as I'm pretty much all in after buying it and insurance is due at the weekend. Cheers guys.

Sorry yes, 110 tdi. I checked Monday or Tuesday. Have been doing it since I got it just be safe as I do with any new vehicles for a few months. It been upto the high level each time. Last night when he ckecked he said it was normal. I had tried turning over a few times this morning then checked level and seemed not dry but not far off. There was no level or pressure lights showing last night.

I'm worried that my recent investment might now be a parts seller and I'm off the road permanently :(

I've seen a couple of cars blow the turbo oil seals, and your description is exactly what happened both times from the viewpoint of an outside observer, both in the James Bond smokescreen and the vanishing oil level!

A dead turbo could stop the engine turning, if you disconnect the pipework on the turbo then try and start the car it may well run. Basically if the turbo vains are stuck then the engine has no way to vent any exhaust gases so pressure builds up in the exhaust manifold and then it eventually stalls.

The cause of the failure could have been the fuel mixture in use.

I'm in Warrington up in Cheshire.

My mate is still convinced it is a totally gummed up EGR plunger. I'm going to check the oil level now it has sat without trying to turn it because even though there was loads of smoke it didn't run away. It was less than 30 seconds from smoke screen to pulling over dead and not cranking but no oil warning light of any type. And the recovery guy said there was enough oil on the dipstick.

Battery seems fine lights were at full power when I stopped and hazards were on for an hour without dimming. I know they can die but up until now, more than 3 weeks it hasn't shown any signs of struggling to crank.

It is puzzling me frustrating me and depressing me in equal measures.

Mannyo, I'll see if I can pull the turbo hose. Space is a little tight for my fat hands. Would it likely happen suddenly after over 1000 miles of normal driving? On the same clean new 90% veg oil 10% unleaded mix?

Mannyo, I'll see if I can pull the turbo hose. Space is a little tight for my fat hands. Would it likely happen suddenly after over 1000 miles of normal driving? On the same clean new 90% veg oil 10% unleaded mix?

The car may have appeared ok, but it could have been getting progressively worse over time until it finally stuck fully. You may not have noticed before total failure as the gases could still get out the exhaust pipe.

10% petrol does seem rather high, the AA recomendation if you "accidentally use the wrong fuel hose" is less than 5% all should be fine. any more than that, drain the tank.

and, the veg oil can be more corrosive on certain types of rubber, which may well have ruined the turbo seals over 1000 miles,

esp given the engine already had 12yrs of wear and tear on it before you bought it.

Id also drain the fuel system and refll with regular diesel for any further works on it....

I more concerned a) why it won't turn over B) where has all the oil gone if there is just the usual dry soot up the exhaust.

Couldn't get the egr off yet but taking the hose off, the anti shudder valve end is oily but doesn't seem very coked up.

A friend suggested a totally jammed EGR would stop the engine turning. He experience of dealing with VAG cars on a daily basis.

I don't understand why the smoke trail I got was whiteish rather the usual blue grey you would see from oil?

Whatever happens I'm going to need to put oil in before I do anything else as I checked the dipstick just before dark and there was just the most basic speck on the bottom after sitting for several hours. Last night after sitting on the harshoulder for an hour it was showing nearly max level. When I checked it earlier in the week it was at max as it has been since I bought the car.

What gets me is, exhaust is dry so it didn't go down the exhaust side, the engine didn't run away and weld solid or grenade, it just died. Where did an engine full of oil go and why does it just seem stiff now not locked solid.

Why is my friend so insistant it is a jammed EGR?

Well, my experience (and I've seen several blown seals, 2 in person, and a bunch more on tv) is that the grey/blue smoke is associated with a "high consumption", usually from worn bores or oil stem seals. White smoke is the result of a consumption rate that can be measured in litres per single mile.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick enough oil in to see if it will turn over and 8f it comes out anywhere. But I have a feeling this isn't going to be a quick fix and may be beyond economic repair sadly on my budget. :(

Ok, I've checked the EGR is functioning by sucking on a length of vac hose. The shaft is in the down position and moves fairly freely. Poking a finger in, things are very oily but only slightly gritty. Not totally sooted up like you see a lot on here.

I bought 2 litres of oil gradually adding it. It took the full 2 litres to bring it to the max mark on the stick.

When I last checked it Monday or Tuesday it was just below max mark.

When the recovery guy checked it there was oil on the stick so it wasnt dry.

When I checked it the next morning the stick was almost dry.

So just under 2 litres of oil have disappeared in a 1.9litre engine that won't now turn over.

Coolant level is normal, engine didn't run away infact it died quickly, exhaust is dry and sooty not wet and oily. The egr has an oil film.

I've read of a breaking turbo shaft forcing oil up the intake with a lot of smoke and hydro locking the engine with oil which sounds like it might have happened. Looks like it might be saveable if the rods haven't bent.

I think I'm going to have decompress it by pulling the glow plugs and craking and hope none of them snap coming out.

It does chug a part turn when you turn the key and the recovery guy said it sounded hydrolocked after the while smoke but he didnt think so because coolant level was normal so it didn't suggest massive waterway HGF.

I'm definitely thinking engine oil hydolocking from crapped out turbo based on the mysterious amount of missing oil not accounted for.

Timing belt was the first thing the recovery guy checked as it was the first thing I thought had gone when it didn't restart.

Yes it is intact and under tension so unlikely to have slipped according to him.

Hopefully getting the glowplugs out which I didn't have time to do today will give me a better idea.