V6 oil change - anything I need to know?

Gaz

Well I got a Pela extractor for my birthday so I thought I'd do my first DIY oil change rather than pay someone else and worry about stamps in the service schedule.

I've not had a V6 before, so haven't done an oil change on one.

Is it straightforward enough?

I'm obviously not planning on taking the sump plug out, but do I need any special tools or are there any 'o' rings to replace.

I've already got oil and the filter element.  And it's a lovely sunny day down here  :sun:

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

I used one of those pumps on my MKI, it's a very simple process (on the 1.9 anyway). Warm up the engine to about half normal temperature to make the oil more 'liquid' then start sucking it out through the dipstick (push the sucker nozzle all the way down till you feel some resistance). While its doing this, remove the oil filter, putting an old towel under the housing to prevent any spills. The new filter will come with new O rings and seals, put them on being careful not to 'twist' them  (run a bit of oil around them with your finger). When the oil is out of the sump, put the sucker into the filter housing and poke around a bit to get any last drops of old oil that might be hiding in there.  Fit the new filter element and tighten the lid (do not over tighten it), fill with new oil, let it settle and dip it and top up  till the level is correct. I found the sucker method to remove about 90% of the old oil, so every third change or so, I'd drop it out through the sump plug.

Best of luck,

Rob

Oil change on the V6 is really easy, takes about ~5l so best to have at least a spare topup bottle. Pop the engine cover, undo the oil cap and oil filter cap. It helps to have a 30mm socket for the oil filter cap, although in theory it is "hand tight". Make sure Pela's tube goes all the way into dipstick tube, although initially you may want to lift it 1-2mm for oil to flow faster. Change oil on fully warmed up engine, i.e. after a trip, Pela and Sealey extractors can take it, I had Pela 6000 before, now I have the Sealey TP69 which is easier to operate single handed when vacuuming oil filter. Vacuum also the filter housing after removing the filter, ca 200ml of old oil there. I can get all oil out through the dipstick tube, so long as the vacuum pipe goes all the way down the dipstick, I removed sump plug years ago to check and there was no oil left there  Filter element should come with a large o-ring, lift the old one with a small screwdriver, wipe and put some fresh oil on cap threads before fitting the new o-ring. Put some new oil in filter housing before replacing the filter.

I already serviced my car, it  was a lot of fluid changes  (engine oil/1yr, transmission oil/4yr, power steering fluid/8yr, brake fluid/2yr) as well as most filters and windscreen wipers. Next year the double TB  job comes up again (and probably WP+coolant). But aside from servicing, the car runs as new at 8yrs/126k miles, this Friday I'm driving 1200miles overnight, leaving the car+family and coming back by plane. 2k miles in 24hrs....Hard to do in any other Skoda than a Mk1 Superb. Shame I cannot say the same about my wife's Roomster (under warranty repair for the last 6 weeks for fuel ingress into engine oil, they are replacing the engine block now)

Edited by dieselV6

Diesel V6, it's interesting you say that to do '2K miles is hard in any other Skoda than a MKI Superb' ... I've done 100K miles in the MKI and I can tell you the MKII is a far better long distance cruiser ...

Rob

Cheers chaps  :thumbup:

Got a large 'o' ring and a copper washer in the kit.  Just noticed I need 5.4 litres and I've only got a 5L tub.  Phooey  :wonder:

That'll learn me for not bothering to check first.

Blooming family have just turned up unannounced, so I won't be doing it this afternoon after all.  Shouldn't moan I suppose.

Gaz

Diesel V6, it's interesting you say that to do '2K miles is hard in any other Skoda than a MKI Superb' ... I've done 100K miles in the MKI and I can tell you the MKII is a far better long distance cruiser ...

Rob

A bit off topic, but since V6TDI's oil change is postponed now ;) here goes the list: Mk2 is slower and handling worse at close to top speed (autobahn), has less refined engine and more expensive for what you get (stressed 4-cyl as opposed to relaxed 6-cyl), does not have velour seats with top diesel engine, and also is not as comfortable as Mk1 for tall drivers (6ft5"), actually Superb 1, Octy 2 and 3 are all better (and Octy 2 was even better than Mk1 Superb for tall drivers). If I had to urgently replace my Mk1 with something comparable, it would not be a Skoda at present. Hopefully, Mk3 Superb will be better, especially engine-wise. But if you enjoy your Mk2 more than Mk1, good luck :)

Anyway, due to my ongoing experience with a 2012 1.6CR diesel described in this thread , I am not going to willingly replace Mk1 Superb with any Skoda or any VW Group car for that matter at least for the next 4-7 years, until I am again confident that VAG diesels are any good. A new engine (short block) will be dropped into my wife's Roomster from Monday onwards, after 6 weeks spent by the dealership and SUK trying to fix a seemingly trivial problem of fuel in engine oil (1l of fuel into oil every 1000miles) on just 20months/16k miles old car.

Edited by dieselV6

Tough one, nothing VW Group at present if it was my money. For someone else's money, a VW Phaeton.

Outside VW Group, I'd have a good look at anything with a 5/6 cyl diesel, though for sensible money there isn't much to look at.

Well, seeing as how my oil change is on hold......keeping my fingers crossed for my day off tomorrow.....I sat in a Superb II in the showroom yesterday and wasn't really convinced.  I'd quite like to try living with one for a bit though.  Octavia's look better.

My kids are now old enough to have their own cars, so it's rare for us to go out as all four of us.  So I don't really need the space any more, although at a short 6'4", legroom is still a factor for me.  For a similar car, I'd be thinking XC70 or C220d, although strangely I had to take my old 1999 B5 Passat out last week (sold to a mate 3 years ago) and found myself wondering why on earth I got rid of it.

If it weren't for the oil use problems, I have a hankering for a rally green Fabia VRS DSG  :blush:

Gaz

Oil change done.  Pela's are great  :sun:

No visitors, nobody else around.  Just me and the Skoda.  All went swimmingly and it took all 5.5 litres - thought it might take a tad less as I'd done it with everything warm so there was presumably some around the channels.

Although the oil filter top was nothing like hand tight!

DIY from now on then.

Gaz

PS: The centre 'V6TDI' bit of my engine cover has separated from the main section.  I wondered whether to just use some number plate foam mounts to reattach it, but is there anything better to use seeing as how all the pins it mounts with have sheared.