Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

Started to get a little concerned about the potential oil consumption in my CAVE engine GTi... I thought I was having to top up a little more than normal, so I topped it to the mark, reset the trip and used that to gauge how long to drop to minimum. Did this twice to average it out, and managed not much more than 2200 miles for 2.5 litres of top up. Now booked in at my local dealer to get this tested next saturday morning. Should be covered under warranty, if they try to worm out of it I'll head over to citizens advice and see what they say.. Will keep updated to see what VW's response to this is as opposed to the Skoda and Seat dealer responses..

• Like 1

Looking forward to hearing how the VW dealer handles your problems.

Probably the "dead bat " approach, as directed to the Skoda operation, to their CUSTOMERS.

Best of luck and hope you get sorted soon.

Guess it will be the Breather solution first !!

• Like 1

Probably the "dead bat " approach, as directed to the Skoda operation, to their CUSTOMERS.

You would certainly hope so! Dont think vrs owners would be happy if gti owners got an engine straight away!! I certainly wouldnt.

What method are you using the check the level- Cold/hot/warm?

Starting to think the 'up to temperature' advise from Skoda is a load of nonsense and actually a cold dip is much more accurate.

• Like 2

Mine is a 2011 (11) plate with a little over 45k on the clock. Oil always checked when the engine is cold, as the total oil in the system has had a chance to drain into the sump again. Up to temperature is *******s unless you are running a dry sump system, as you will have a portion of the oil in the engine still draining back to the sump.

It still gives a reading if you have the correct amount of oil in, 3.6 litres, 

Engine at Operating temperature, and wait a few minutes. (4-5 minutes)

As your VW Owners manual says.

(worded different from the Skoda Owners Manual.)

So when you dip your engine stone cold, & the car is on the flat,

where is the oil on your Dip Stick?

If you do not overfill and use your car pretty normally,

you will know as well as the consumption Test tells if it uses oil,

You are the one topping it up.

My Partner Fabia vRS MK2 CAVE ,

Tested TODAY ,Master Tech  says failure ,so next part of protocol kicks in ,hence Breather unit fix instigated .

She now has to do 300km then re-test so that Engine replacement can be instigated by the dealer,(Their decision).

Submission of photo evidence and written report on test results and Engineers comments.

Master Tech could not tell me what engine spec would be used in the replacement. 

Comment probably a updated CAVE,I expressed my disapproval at this and stressed we wanted a CTHE.

Ironically car had been fine up until the 35000 service with a nominal experience of consumption ,but recently  1 litre for 500 /600 in both last top ups.

Car 2 months inside warranty, so hopefully no hassle, as dealer is pretty good and understanding of issues. 

My Partner Fabia vRS MK2 CAVE ,

Tested TODAY ,Master Tech  says failure ,so next part of protocol kicks in ,hence Breather unit fix instigated .

She now has to do 300km then re-test so that Engine replacement can be instigated by the dealer,(Their decision).

Submission of photo evidence and written report on test results and Engineers comments.

Master Tech could not tell me what engine spec would be used in the replacement. 

Comment probably a updated CAVE,I expressed my disapproval at this and stressed we wanted a CTHE.

Ironically car had been fine up until the 35000 service with a nominal experience of consumption ,but recently  1 litre for 500 /600 in both last top ups.

Car 2 months inside warranty, so hopefully no hassle, as dealer is pretty good and understanding of issues. 

Hope they sort it!

don't mean to go on, but when you initially thought you had consumption issues, what checking method were you using?

• Like 1

I got very annoyed with all their messing about testing mods etc. In the letter I sent to Alasdair Stewart, UK brand director I expressed my disappointment with them using my car to conduct their trials (or similar words).

The dealers decision to do the breather mod and ANOTHER oil consumption test was overturned the very next day and the engine was swapped.

Why waste so much time and money doing these mods when 9/10 engines are replaced anyway.

The chap I spoke to at Skoda today (executive complaints team or something) may as well have admitted the breather modification doesn't work. Not that i am suggesting it doesn't, I'm not technically trained. When I mentioned long term reliability of my new engine (which hasn't used any noticeable amount of oil in 1500 miles) he said once they are replaced they are sorted and will not have any issues again - would love that in writing! He blamed those who have had 2/3+ engines on technical screw ups and administration errors. He was adamant that all replaced CAVE engines were sound...

End of the phone call, a letter on its way offering my next service (first major one I think) FOC. I'm quite pleased with what I've got from them really, extended warranty until nearly the end of 2016 and cruise control retrofitted. Many say don't let them buy you off but I'm haven't. I've just taken best advantage I can from a what was, rubbish situation.

My letter is published on this forum under thread "which oil do I buy?".

• Like 1

I got very annoyed with all their messing about testing mods etc. In the letter I sent to Alasdair Stewart, UK brand director I expressed my disappointment with them using my car to conduct their trials (or similar words).

The dealers decision to do the breather mod and ANOTHER oil consumption test was overturned the very next day and the engine was swapped.

Why waste so much time and money doing these mods when 9/10 engines are replaced anyway.

The chap I spoke to at Skoda today (executive complaints team or something) may as well have admitted the breather modification doesn't work. Not that i am suggesting it doesn't, I'm not technically trained. When I mentioned long term reliability of my new engine (which hasn't used any noticeable amount of oil in 1500 miles) he said once they are replaced they are sorted and will not have any issues again - would love that in writing! He blamed those who have had 2/3+ engines on technical screw ups and administration errors. He was adamant that all replaced CAVE engines were sound...

End of the phone call, a letter on its way offering my next service (first major one I think) FOC. I'm quite pleased with what I've got from them really, extended warranty until nearly the end of 2016 and cruise control retrofitted. Many say don't let them buy you off but I'm haven't. I've just taken best advantage I can from a what was, rubbish situation.

My letter is published on this forum under thread "which oil do I buy?".

Austenw90,

Totally agree with you but the Garage have to go through  the protocol advised by VAG- Skoda UK. 

We will just go through the process, will know by next Tuesday- as I said the Master Tech believes that it will be a replacement engine.

I'm aware of your letter and have recommended it to others on here.

So will use it at the appropriate time , which will be the spec of engine replacement proposed by our Garage.

Thanks for your comments.(And GEORGE'S INPUT )

Keith

PS.What warranty do you have on the new engine?

The protocol is what is nonsense if a quick letter gets it turned on its head.

They make it up as they go along it seems.

They extended it for 1 year, would have like 2 as others say they've had but realistically it'll be time for a change by then anyway. Mine is 62 reg so got a year and half'ish left of original warranty. I've got a letter in a safe place which has to be presented to a dealer at the end of the 3 years.

Sorry Keith, I should have remembered your helpful input on the thread I mention!

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 1

Hope they sort it!

don't mean to go on, but when you initially thought you had consumption issues, what checking method were you using?

When we first thought the problem was worsening we did a warning light - top up  1 litre then next warning light/mileage did this twice. 400 then 600 respectively.

Then booked in for testing.

Car problem start to show issues above the "high norm" after 35000 service ,now at 42500.Note plugs are original I question my Master Tech about plug issue and he was conveniently ignorant or just hadn't experienced any.

Relatively small dealership in country location,I guess with low sale of the vRS.

However, it was one of the FIRST garages that did an engine replacement for a member on here. 

Did like doing it this way but wanted some degree of consistency as the dip stick process is flawed in my view.

However , have always cold dipped both with my original and now my partner car.

Also an explanation or reason would be to the point.

As the change from CAVE to CTHE has few details relating to the changes made and reason why.

Would be admitting to technical shortfalls in their prize winning engine!

My polo engine was replaced 2k ago with what looks like another cave but it is a brand new engine made late last year and it has not used a drop of oil :-)

That is good to hear.

Was you V5 DOCUMENT CHANGED WITH NEW ENGINE No. etc.

What spec of engine ,ask your dealership garage for details.

Lets keep fingers crossed and all replacement engines are good.

But unless the original was a failure or oil user early on in its life, most were failing with a good few thousand miles on them.

So just make sure VAG give you at least a 2 year Warranty on the Replacement engine,

or maybe go for rejecting their offer,

and go for them buying your car and covering your losses.

If they can not explain why there engines fail,  (or their engines, as in built by Volkswagen)

why accept a like for like replacement that might only be good for 40,000 miles.

'Vorsprung Durch Technik. from the 3 Monkeys.(4 actually VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat.)

Admit nothing and treat customers like mushrooms.

Keep in the dark and shovel with sh1t3.

• Like 1

George,

As you have hinted , age / mileage is unravelling the engines problems at last, may be in higher % that previously thought.

we had a list of CTHE changes, the include new pistons, rings, and oil circulating system, breathing system, electronic updates, and loads more.....

sounds like a fix to me! my CTHE was topped up 2,000 miles ago, and I checked it yesterday , it was 3/4 full.... so seems to be "normal" :)

• Like 1

we had a list of CTHE changes, the include new pistons, rings, and oil circulating system, breathing system, electronic updates, and loads more.....

sounds like a fix to me! my CTHE was topped up 2,000 miles ago, and I checked it yesterday , it was 3/4 full.... so seems to be "normal" :)

So if this was the VAG total fix, then why didn't they do the honourable thing and re-call and replace CAVE with the CTHE!

Admission and cost!!

Easy one for SKODA or the VOLKSWAGEN AUDI GROUP.

They just need to answer,

'Are all engines built now that replace faulty CAVE engines new built, or reconditioned ones,

and using the same Internal Components as the CTHE Engine, and using the same MAP?'

&

if not using the same internal components as a CTHE,

then what is it they do in building the Replacement CAVE engines that was not done with the Original.

?? What components fail in the originals,

and what is different with CAVE Replacements?

Problem is ,

no official acceptance from the Skoda CEO or SKODA UK Customer services that 

quite a few of the 1,800 UK CAVE engine vRS have had issues,

• Like 1