Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

Started to get a little concerned about the potential oil consumption in my CAVE engine GTi... I thought I was having to top up a little more than normal, so I topped it to the mark, reset the trip and used that to gauge how long to drop to minimum. Did this twice to average it out, and managed not much more than 2200 miles for 2.5 litres of top up. Now booked in at my local dealer to get this tested next saturday morning. Should be covered under warranty, if they try to worm out of it I'll head over to citizens advice and see what they say.. Will keep updated to see what VW's response to this is as opposed to the Skoda and Seat dealer responses..

Looking forward to your update on Saturday.

My Partners vRS goes back into dealership garage mid next week, as the follow up test with the breather mod fitted this week.

Will be interesting to read through the result before and after.

To me however, the conclusion should already be New engine!

I asked the garage when they did the change and they said they don't know it just turned up in a crate.

I've looked all over the car and I can't see any markings and the ECU has not been altered in any way so assume its a cave but it is a brand new engine with 32/13 stamped on it so was made late last year.

The engine code doesn't need to be altered on the v5 because if checked with vw it will be linked to the old code I was told.

By the way does anybody know any sure fire way of telling the difference between a cave and cthe engine.

I know that if they fit a replacement engine be it new or reconditioned from s k o d a. I want a ecu update done if the original ecu is still on the car.and I want to know it has new spark plugs and even new cats.

• Like 1

you dont get a new cat thats for sure

i tried for one only to be told its ok, i even asked for it in writing but as with many things slowda im still waiting. they just say Skoda look after their loyal customers and if anything goes wrong they are there to help, i wont hold my breath

its took me 14 months to get a letter confirming a new engine was fitted, 14 months!!!! my little lass can type quicker than that and probably hand deliver it faster

im of the opinion of once they have your money etc etc

• Like 1

You can get a new cat. And some have, they need to consider what the engine failure was and if the cat might have been effected so actually inspecting cars and components might allow them to say. Correctly repaired. As it is. They do what people let them away with. No cat required then fair enough. As long as the warranty is extended by them incase of premature failure.

I asked the garage when they did the change and they said they don't know it just turned up in a crate.

I've looked all over the car and I can't see any markings and the ECU has not been altered in any way so assume its a cave but it is a brand new engine with 32/13 stamped on it so was made late last year.

The engine code doesn't need to be altered on the v5 because if checked with vw it will be linked to the old code I was told.

By the way does anybody know any sure fire way of telling the difference between a cave and cthe engine.

I think that I would want the V5 statement in writing from VW.

Same time I would want  get that confirmed by The DVLA.

If the numbers on the engime are stamped and the are and the New engine is now on the d b l a data base then v w are the ones to produce a set of v I n stickers for the cat with the nee engine number. They just make up New stories. Austenw90 spoke to v o s a. Read the d v l a website.

• Like 1

Will face that, if the results from Partners next test generate the NEW Engine for definite.

If not I will be fighting like hell for a New one and a 2 year Warranty package.( Mentioned the Cat issue back in 2012 on my out car - asked them to Test it and give result against a new installation) Guess what a cough and splutter e-mailed reply. That's a No.

George ,How many actually got a new Cat, might be worth a chat with then as my partner vRS has now done  43000.

• Like 1

Started to get a little concerned about the potential oil consumption in my CAVE engine GTi... I thought I was having to top up a little more than normal, so I topped it to the mark, reset the trip and used that to gauge how long to drop to minimum. Did this twice to average it out, and managed not much more than 2200 miles for 2.5 litres of top up. Now booked in at my local dealer to get this tested next saturday morning. Should be covered under warranty, if they try to worm out of it I'll head over to citizens advice and see what they say.. Will keep updated to see what VW's response to this is as opposed to the Skoda and Seat dealer responses..

Today is the day , may be the start of the drawn out journey.

The phrase "pulling out hens teeth" springs to mine.

Partner has done phase 1 now > phase 2.

Good luck!

Will face that, if the results from Partners next test generate the NEW Engine for definite.

If not I will be fighting like hell for a New one and a 2 year Warranty package.( Mentioned the Cat issue back in 2012 on my out car - asked them to Test it and give result against a new installation) Guess what a cough and splutter e-mailed reply. That's a No.

George ,How many actually got a new Cat, might be worth a chat with then as my partner vRS has now done 43000.

I got a new cat fitted aswell as an engine at nearly 44, 000.

• Like 1

I got a new cat fitted aswell as an engine at nearly 44, 000.

Thanks for letting me know.

Was that dealer instigated or Skoda UK?

Okay so a brief update, took the car in on the saturday morning for them to do their measuring stuff. I am now in the process of driving my 600 miles...

As an aside can anybody (looking at the techies here) tell me what material the cylinder liners are made from? Loaded question, but wondering if the cylinder liners are nikasil as opposed to steel. 

Okay so a brief update, took the car in on the saturday morning for them to do their measuring stuff. I am now in the process of driving my 600 miles...

As an aside can anybody (looking at the techies here) tell me what material the cylinder liners are made from? Loaded question, but wondering if the cylinder liners are nikasil as opposed to steel. 

Why is it 600 miles for the Polo GTI and only 300km for Skoda Fabia vRS.

Did VAG DEVISE THE CHECK PROCESS or is it each to their own?? 

• Like 2

No idea to be honest. It was all in the package. I assume skodaUK

Thanks, have you got a list of the package offered?

V w are the ones that say 0.5 litres per 1000 km/621 miles. So anyone with a skoda. Seat or Audi engine can maybe tell them that if a oil consumption test mileage of 1000 km is ok for polo gti owners then the same for the other turbochargers.

• Like 1

Ps. Tell them that if any doubt at 1000km. Then do not top it up. Tell them you will do another 1000km and if it needs more then 1 litre to be at 3.6 litres in the car. They can get on and fix it. I have used 200 litres of petrol since thursday31 mpg. No oil required. Engine being thrashed.

• Like 1

Partners vRS FAILED the follow up 2nd test today (Post Breather mod) - so it's a new Engine .

I also intend to look for warranty extension1-2 years and will discuss replacement Cat asTH3 Grinch achieved .

Need a bit more info from you Th3 Grinch in support of my case, if you are okay with that.

I've requested both sets of test results from the garage , so that will be interesting reading.